Main Menu

Battlefield 3

Started by CountDeMoney, November 22, 2011, 06:59:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 19, 2011, 09:07:22 PM
Quote from: Neil on December 19, 2011, 09:06:21 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on December 19, 2011, 12:51:20 PM
64 person Rush is very fucking hard, especially in Metro.
Metro is a fucking slaughterhouse in any mode, with any amount of players.
Incredibly spammy, but one hell of a way to rack up the kills with shotguns and those little high ROF SMGs.
The whole middle ground in Conquest is spam-land for grenades and the noob-tube.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

There's nothing quite like the comraderie that's spawned by getting TKed for a vehicle right off the bat.

I got spawned into one of the fighter jets, and somehow I was TKed straight through the cockpit.  Didn't even think that could happen.

Not knowing who did it, I shot both our jets down with the Centurion CIWS immediately.  Just to be sure.

Ah, hardcore.  You are indeed.

Neil

Yeah, I've avoided hardcore so far.  Too many assholes.  Every time I see some asshole strafe in front of me in a firefight, I thank heavens for no TK.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

derspiess

Quote from: Neil on December 19, 2011, 09:06:21 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on December 19, 2011, 12:51:20 PM
64 person Rush is very fucking hard, especially in Metro.
Metro is a fucking slaughterhouse in any mode, with any amount of players.

I like how it goes from sniper-friendly to close quarters to sniper-friendly again.  Only dowsnide: no vehicles.  I love blowing those damned things up.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Neil on December 19, 2011, 09:02:36 PM
Quote from: derspiess on December 19, 2011, 12:48:11 PM
Finally bought this for the 360 a couple weeks ago.  A little too easy to dazzle someone with the laser site (or blind someone in daylight with the flashlight attachment), but overall I'm liking the multiplayer.  A buddy of mine always wants to play Squad Deathmatch, but I hate that with a passion.  Capture, or better yet, Rush gives a lot better feel of an actual battle.
Yeah, I play pretty much exclusively Conquest on the 360.  The flashlight and lasersight thing is a little overdone, I have to agree.

What's your gamertag?  Always nice to have one or more people in my squad who knows what he's doing.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Grey Fox

Quote from: Neil on December 19, 2011, 09:40:14 PM
Yeah, I've avoided hardcore so far.  Too many assholes.  Every time I see some asshole strafe in front of me in a firefight, I thank heavens for no TK.

I only played hardcore so far. Too many assholes in regular. PC vs Console, eh.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on December 19, 2011, 09:40:14 PM

The occasional TK is worth the lack of kill cams. 

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 19, 2011, 09:24:13 PM
There's nothing quite like the comraderie that's spawned by getting TKed for a vehicle right off the bat.

I got spawned into one of the fighter jets, and somehow I was TKed straight through the cockpit.  Didn't even think that could happen.

Not knowing who did it, I shot both our jets down with the Centurion CIWS immediately.  Just to be sure.

Ah, hardcore.  You are indeed.

:lol:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

Took me a while to realize that LVTP's take a lot of work to kill & are meant to be a mobile spawn point.  And what were they smoking when they decided to put the SKS in the game as a "long range" sniper rifle??

Also, I'm not doing so well with any flying vehicle.  Is there any way to practice flying outside of a match, to avoid embarrassing yourself & pissing off your teammates?

I was eventually able to get the hang of flying the Huey in BFBC2: Vietnam but for some reason the helicopters in BF3 seem more difficult.  And don't get me started on jets-- you start out only with guns & I can't figure out how to line up a target for more than a half-second.

CountDeMoney

Yeah, those LVTPs are a bitch.  I've stacked all the C4 possible on a healthy one (I think 4 packs), and all I did was get it to start smoking.

LOL the SKS, no shit.  Those semi-auto rifles are much more fun with ACOG sights, foregrips, and a laser sight.  Run around and be a goof.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 30, 2011, 12:29:56 PM
LOL the SKS, no shit.  Those semi-auto rifles are much more fun with ACOG sights, foregrips, and a laser sight.  Run around and be a goof.

I got tired of getting whacked every time I tried to do a little sniping, so I pretty much did that with the M39 EMR.  ACOG takes away the annoying sway and reflection and gives enough magnification to get some decent-range kills.  Not sure if I've even unlocked the foregrip for it yet.

I'm still playing Engineer more than anything.  If you have a recon guy on your side with a laser designator thingie, Javelin kills are ridiculously easy.  Even better if you have a Support guy doing his job & keeping you supplied with ammo.  Really puts those shithead Colonel-10 ranked pilots in their place.  I'm starting to go back to RPG/SMAW on some maps, though, since the above scenario is hard to come by.  And it still surprises me how often the other side doesn't notice AT mines :)

For Support I unlocked the mortar last night.  Almost feels like cheating-- until some mortar guy on the other team takes you out.

CountDeMoney

The only way to successfully snipe is on hardcore conquest, and only on the bigger maps.  You should didi mau most riki tik after about 2 or 3 kills;  displace and relocate.

And yeah, people have a habit of missing the AT mines, even when they show up on the mini-map.  Idiots are speeding and not paying attention to the mini-map.

I love Support on Team Deathmatch drops;  set up a couple claymores to cover my ass, find a nice, long field of fire, sit down with the bipod and an ACOG, and farm the kills from idiots running around like goofs.  A good CQB setup with Support is something like the M249 with a foregrip, smaller scope and a suppressor.  You're a buzz saw in a hallway with that thing.

RPGs and SMAWs are hilarious on the city maps;  morons insist on trying to get to the 2nd and 3rd floors of buildings.  Rain down destruction upon them.

Mr. Grey

Quote from: derspiess on January 10, 2012, 11:15:27 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 30, 2011, 12:29:56 PM

I got tired of getting whacked every time I tried to do a little sniping

I cannot believe how awful I am at sniping in this game. I bought the xbox version on release day and I still have yet to level the recon class up once! I just changed my primary weapon on the kit to the saiga....just so I can unlock a decent weapon.

I wish there was the air campaign mode like BF1943 had so you could practice flying. I am a badass with helicopters....I feel like Hawke from Airwolf. The jets....not so much.

I get the best kill/death ratio with assault - and the 100 pts for reviving is amazing, but I always have the most fun as an engineer. Taking out vehicles is a lot of fun...but yes, those LVTs are a bitch.

Autokrator lives

derspiess

Quote from: Mr. Grey on January 11, 2012, 08:28:22 AM
I cannot believe how awful I am at sniping in this game. I bought the xbox version on release day and I still have yet to level the recon class up once! I just changed my primary weapon on the kit to the saiga....just so I can unlock a decent weapon.

The SV98 seems like a good sniper rifle.  The M39 w/ACOG is a good weapon for medium range engagement as well.  I'm still struggling a bit with estimating & compensating for bullet drop at long ranges. 

One thing I'm having to adjust to vs. BFBC2 is bullet drop for assault rifles.  More specifically, I need to break myself of the habit of taking on a sniper at medium or long range when I'm assault class. 

QuoteI wish there was the air campaign mode like BF1943 had so you could practice flying. I am a badass with helicopters....I feel like Hawke from Airwolf. The jets....not so much.

Hell, BF1943 had a full-blown flying tutorial.  I was still a shitty pilot after doing it, but at least I had a way to practice without being shot down by an enemy plane 2 seconds after takeoff.

Maybe one day if I can actually get in a match that doesn't have ultra-high level guys who do nothing with their lives but fly jets in BF3, I can actually line up a strafing run & try to get a kill on a tank.

I'm pretty bad with helicopters but slowly improving.  I learned to fly the Huey pretty well in BFBC2 Vietnam but everything seemed to change in BF3.  Someone suggested switching to Classic controls, which helped, but I'm wondering if I should've given the default controls another chance.

QuoteI get the best kill/death ratio with assault - and the 100 pts for reviving is amazing, but I always have the most fun as an engineer. Taking out vehicles is a lot of fun...but yes, those LVTs are a bitch.

My KDR is lousy all around-- I think my best is with Recon.  I noticed my overall accuracy is significantly lower in BF3 than in BFBC2 & I'm not sure if that's due to changes in weapon accuracy or the fact that I use suppression fire a lot more now that it's rewarded with points.  Or maybe I'm just worse with BF3 than I was with BFBC2.

I had another match last night where a thoughtful recon player on my team set out the laser designator thingie and apparently pointed it at the US spawn.  I sat there with Javelin & had a field day-- competing with the dude on the mobile AA for vehicle kills.  About the only way they could get close to objectives was to be sneaky with RHIB boats (which can take an awful lot of small arms fire).  Almost felt guilty until I realized that most of my kills were on the guy who had been spamming us with those annoying 12 gauge frag shells on the previous map .

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on January 12, 2012, 02:03:43 PM
One thing I'm having to adjust to vs. BFBC2 is bullet drop for assault rifles.  More specifically, I need to break myself of the habit of taking on a sniper at medium or long range when I'm assault class.

You gotta work up to the point you can unlock the 6x rifle scope for Assault.  6x scope and bipod can murder snipers, but you need to use the AN-94 and the M16A4, because they have the limited 3-round bursts.  Don't try full auto weapons, because you can't hit shit, and don't go single-shot because that won't drop them.  Don't use suppressors because they make the ballistic drop worse, and don't use laser targeters, because they just give you away.  Two 3-rd bursts in quick succession can drop a sniper before he has time to get you.

I have no problem taking on a sniper at long range with an M16A4 or a AN94, as long as I have the bipod and the 6x rifle scope.  Anything less and yeah, you're outmatched.