News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Europe's Golden age? 1890-1914

Started by Razgovory, November 21, 2011, 08:46:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I've been reading the Proud Tower http://www.amazon.com/Proud-Tower-Portrait-Before-1890-1914/dp/0345405013 lately and like all good books it got me a thinking.  Was this time period, 1890-1914, Europe's Golden age?  Barbara Tuchman says that it explicitly is not.  Reasoning that no golden age would have the seeds of it's own destruction sown with in it and that people looked back across the gulf of the war with rose tinged glasses.  However, Tuchman herself was a product of her time, she was writing in a period of great anxiety and uncertainty and perhaps that colored her thoughts.  I think that perhaps it was Europe's golden age.  Europe was a at the pinnacle of it's power it's culture was bright.  Innovations were coming fast and furious and life for the average person was getting better then it ever had before.  After the war art took a dark and cynical tone (unless it was overwhelmed by the shrill madness of the ideology states).  I don't think Europe ever recovered.  The Euro attitude is still fairly cynical.  They seem to lack the life and energy of their pre-war fore-fathers.  They lack that self-confidence they had before and I often detect a sense of bitterness towards the US which still has that self-confidence and vitality.

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on November 21, 2011, 08:46:21 AM
They lack that self-confidence they had before and I often detect a sense of bitterness towards the US which still has that self-confidence and vitality.

We do?  Well I guess in comparison.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Bluebook

Quote from: Razgovory...the US which still has that self-confidence and vitality.

Or at least wish they did...

To be honest, US self-confidence and vitality seems to be roughly on par with France right now. High self-confidence for no obvious reason while the claims of vitality is getting more and more desperate and shrill.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on November 21, 2011, 09:17:23 AM
They lack that self-confidence they had before and I often detect a sense of bitterness towards the US which still has that self-confidence and vitality.

Indeed, despite the brief bit of "hope" following the transition from Bush to Obama, I think we've been down right depressed as a nation.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

The US does shit.  Like Iraq.  It may not be a good idea, but it goes in and does stuff.  That's self confidence.  If nobody wanted to help the US in Iraq the US still would have attacked.  Compare this to the Euros and the Yugoslav wars.  They couldn't do much unless the US came in.  Hell, look at Libya.  They lacked even the capability to actually operate a no fly zone with out the US.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on November 21, 2011, 09:54:02 AM

Indeed, despite the brief bit of "hope" following the transition from Bush to Obama, I think we've been down right depressed as a nation.

Well we are in a Depression.  Look at the Euros across the pond.  They aren't completely confident of their monetary system will still be there in a few years.

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on November 21, 2011, 09:58:05 AM
The US does shit.  Like Iraq.  It may not be a good idea, but it goes in and does stuff.  That's self confidence.  If nobody wanted to help the US in Iraq the US still would have attacked.  Compare this to the Euros and the Yugoslav wars.  They couldn't do much unless the US came in.  Hell, look at Libya.  They lacked even the capability to actually operate a no fly zone with out the US.

Eh they do that to have the resources to buy off their voters.  If we left they would eventually be compelled to fund their militaries again.  I do not know if their military weakness is necessarily the evidence of their lack of vilality but just evidence they do not need to spend money on their militaries.  The evidence of European lack of vitality is the fact they seem to have to wait for a crisis before actually being able to address their problems which is textbook evidence for a society that lacks vitality.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on November 21, 2011, 10:03:15 AM

Eh they do that to have the resources to buy off their voters.  If we left they would eventually be compelled to fund their militaries again.  I do not know if their military weakness is necessarily the evidence of their lack of vilality but just evidence they do not need to spend money on their militaries.  The evidence of European lack of vitality is the fact they seem to have to wait for a crisis before actually being able to address their problems which is textbook evidence for a society that lacks vitality.
By the definition America has never had vitality. We always wait until a crisis to do something about a problem.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on November 21, 2011, 10:00:17 AM
Well we are in a Depression.  Look at the Euros across the pond.  They aren't completely confident of their monetary system will still be there in a few years.

Our "spiritual" depression started under Bush.  I don't have any animus for the man but American pride certainly faltered under Bush 2 term 2.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on November 21, 2011, 10:03:15 AM

I think there is a distinct lack of will.  If we left NATO I don't think they would do much with their militaries (Spell check doesn't like this word).  I think they would prefer to isolate themselves politically, putting faith in the UN and the like and shake their fists at more active countries like an old man complaining about teenagers.  Europe is becoming a retirement communities for nations.

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 21, 2011, 10:09:27 AM
By the definition America has never had vitality. We always wait until a crisis to do something about a problem.

If that was true you would be right.

But that is total nonsense.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on November 21, 2011, 10:12:10 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 21, 2011, 10:09:27 AM

If that was true you would be right.

But that is total nonsense.
Name one big crisis we headed off at the pass by fixing an underlying problem before it blew up into a big crisis?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 21, 2011, 10:13:42 AM
Name one big crisis we headed off at the pass by fixing an underlying problem before it blew up into a big crisis?

Um all of them?  The only one we failed to do so was the slavery thing and that was simply intractable.  Even the compromises made it worse.  But that had to do more with the unsolvable nature of the crisis than a lack of will to solve it.

I mean look at the problems with social unrest because of the industrial revolution.  I thought we did excellently by addressing those issues before any serious threats to the social order really got rolling.

What big crises are you thinking of?