Main Menu

Europe's Golden age? 1890-1914

Started by Razgovory, November 21, 2011, 08:46:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Quote from: Razgovory on November 21, 2011, 10:10:57 AM
Quote from: Valmy on November 21, 2011, 10:03:15 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 21, 2011, 09:58:05 AM
The US does shit.  Like Iraq.  It may not be a good idea, but it goes in and does stuff.  That's self confidence.  If nobody wanted to help the US in Iraq the US still would have attacked.  Compare this to the Euros and the Yugoslav wars.  They couldn't do much unless the US came in.  Hell, look at Libya.  They lacked even the capability to actually operate a no fly zone with out the US.

Eh they do that to have the resources to buy off their voters.  If we left they would eventually be compelled to fund their militaries again.  I do not know if their military weakness is necessarily the evidence of their lack of vilality but just evidence they do not need to spend money on their militaries.  The evidence of European lack of vitality is the fact they seem to have to wait for a crisis before actually being able to address their problems which is textbook evidence for a society that lacks vitality.

I think there is a distinct lack of will.  If we left NATO I don't think they would do much with their militaries (Spell check doesn't like this word).  I think they would prefer to isolate themselves politically, putting faith in the UN and the like and shake their fists at more active countries like an old man complaining about teenagers.  Europe is becoming a retirement communities for nations.

The French will continue to intervene in its former colonies and maintains the capability to do so. The rest of the misbegotten lump of NATO nations? A  joke except for the Turks.

Speaking of the Turks, please invade Syria. TV is boring right now.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on November 21, 2011, 10:18:39 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 21, 2011, 10:13:42 AM
Name one big crisis we headed off at the pass by fixing an underlying problem before it blew up into a big crisis?

Um all of them?  The only one we failed to do so was the slavery thing and that was simply intractable.  Even the compromises made it worse.  But that had to do more with the unsolvable nature of the crisis than a lack of will to solve it.
That was a string of crises that lasted 80 years and just kept getting bigger.

I mean look at the problems with social unrest because of the industrial revolution.  I thought we did excellently by addressing those issues before any serious threats to the social order really got rolling.

What big crises are you thinking of?
The Great Depression, WWII, 70s(protest movements/stagflation), Global Warming, the 2008 financial collapse. These all could have been ameliorated if steps had been taking before hand to address the root causes.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Malthus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 21, 2011, 10:13:42 AM
Quote from: Valmy on November 21, 2011, 10:12:10 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 21, 2011, 10:09:27 AM
By the definition America has never had vitality. We always wait until a crisis to do something about a problem.

If that was true you would be right.

But that is total nonsense.
Name one big crisis we headed off at the pass by fixing an underlying problem before it blew up into a big crisis?

How about the Marshall Plan?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marshall_Plan

The crisis averted was to use European economic recovery to forestall the spread of Communist influence in Western Europe.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

I think it's reasonable to describe 1890-1914 as Europe's golden age.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Minsky Moment

1890-1914 was pretty awful for most Europeans.

1953-1973 would probably be a better choice, except for the Hungarians and the Czechs.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 21, 2011, 11:13:50 AM

1953-1973 would probably be a better choice, except for the Hungarians and the Czechs.

Troll? :hmm:

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Brain on November 21, 2011, 11:15:41 AM

:secret:
Best part of the Trente Glorieuses or Glorious Thirties if you prefer.

The Brain

At least in the 30s there was a new hope.

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Zanza

Quote from: Valmy on November 21, 2011, 10:03:15 AMEh they do that to have the resources to buy off their voters.  If we left they would eventually be compelled to fund their militaries again.
To defend against whom?

The Minsky Moment

The trolls had it pretty bad from the end of the Middle Ages until mass access to the World Wide Web.  Their Golden Age is now.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Zanza

Europe's Golden Age was obviously the postwar and post-Cold War period. Most Europeans lived in peace for more than 66 years now and have unparalled prosperity. Having colonial empires and great power status is pretty meaningless for the average person.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Razgovory on November 21, 2011, 08:46:21 AMReasoning that no golden age would have the seeds of it's own destruction sown with in it and that people looked back across the gulf of the war with rose tinged glasses.

I would speculate that all golden ages have the seeds of their own destruction built in.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

KRonn

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 21, 2011, 11:51:17 AM

:lol:
The trolls had it pretty bad from the end of the Middle Ages until mass access to the World Wide Web.  Their Golden Age is now.

Razgovory

Quote from: Zanza on November 21, 2011, 11:56:02 AM
Europe's Golden Age was obviously the postwar and post-Cold War period. Most Europeans lived in peace for more than 66 years now and have unparalled prosperity. Having colonial empires and great power status is pretty meaningless for the average person.

This is a function of technology more the society.  If we use this criteria nearly all countries are in a golden age. Most Russians live better then their ancestors did, though this is hardly the golden age of Russia.  Hell, North Koreans probably have better amenities then their ancestors did under the Japanese or living in mud huts.  They don't have a lot of electricity but they had more then then they did 200 years ago.  I'm not sure if most European countries have been at peace for 66 years now.  Several European powers were engaged in an air war over Libya a few months ago.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017