And we're back!

Main Menu

LOTR - Third Age: Total War

Started by Syt, April 27, 2009, 12:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucidor

Razgovory

Quote from: Alcibiades on April 28, 2009, 06:05:44 PM
Downloaded...forums make it sound like it needs balancing work though in regards to archers... :unsure:

It's just close to the source materal.  Tolkien, like all good Englishmen, knew that the bow was  by far the most powerful weapon that existed in the middle ages.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Viking

What about the Campaign A.I? Won't all the "good" factions attack and invade me as the hobbits?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Alcibiades

Quote from: Viking on April 30, 2009, 10:45:28 PM
What about the Campaign A.I? Won't all the "good" factions attack and invade me as the hobbits?

Not sure, but Sauron called for an 'Invasion' in my game, they took the capital of Rohan...... :unsure:

And the orcs of the misty mountains keep harassing the hell out of Rivendell ...need to take them down heh.
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Viking

Quote from: Alcibiades on May 01, 2009, 12:01:06 AM
Quote from: Viking on April 30, 2009, 10:45:28 PM

Not sure, but Sauron called for an 'Invasion' in my game, they took the capital of Rohan...... :unsure:

And the orcs of the misty mountains keep harassing the hell out of Rivendell ...need to take them down heh.

ok, so you've played a few turns..

what about somebody who's been backstabbed by the hobbits?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Lucidor

one thing I was thinking about was that it sometimes feels wrong compared to the War of the Ring as portrayed in the book. It's too slow paced, too easy to make more armies ad infinitum. I feel that if Gondor can just keep pumping out armies, and the whole thing draws out for years at an end, the sense of a showdown between good and evil goes away, and it turns into a generic fantasy mod.

grumbler

That's pretty much always going to be the case with mods of this sort, though.  The whole War of the Ring was about one game-turn long!

Hopefully, someone will take this mod and create an actual "Third Age" mod out of it, with factions that include powers of the whole Third Age (like Angmar and Arnor), and not just try to mod the last year of the Third Age in a game where turns are seasons.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

I can live with that abstraction. though. Otherwisee I'd be playing "War of the Ring" (or whatever it was called) in C6 emu.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Fate

Did they bother with "hero" units or ents?  :P

grumbler

Quote from: Fate on May 01, 2009, 09:51:05 AM
Did they bother with "hero" units or ents?  :P
What is a "hero unit" in the TW sense?  :huh:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Syt on May 01, 2009, 08:25:18 AM
I can live with that abstraction. though. Otherwisee I'd be playing "War of the Ring" (or whatever it was called) in C6 emu.
Oh, I think we can all live with the abstraction, though, as Lucidor points out, it feels awkward and wrong to have Gondor raise 10,000 new troops by the time Frodo can walk from Hobbiton to Lothlorien.

I am simply saying that making a campaign game out of the Third Age of Middle Earth might be interesting, since we would be able to do/see things not covered by the main portion of the book.

Bayraktar!

Alcibiades

Closest thing to a hero unit I've seen are those trolls....impossible to kill.
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

grumbler

Quote from: Alcibiades on May 01, 2009, 10:46:33 AM
Doh!  :Embarrass:  How could I have forgotten that any troll would be a hero to Fate?

Bayraktar!

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Viking on May 01, 2009, 12:05:48 AM

ok, so you've played a few turns..

what about somebody who's been backstabbed by the hobbits?

Eriador went to war with the elves in the game I'm playing now. I don't remember who declared.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Alcibiades

Quote from: grumbler on May 01, 2009, 11:56:04 AM
Quote from: Alcibiades on May 01, 2009, 10:46:33 AM
Doh!  :Embarrass:  How could I have forgotten that any troll would be a hero to Fate?

:lol: