Konami drops support for "6 Days at Fallujah"

Started by Syt, April 27, 2009, 12:19:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

vinraith

Quote from: derspiess on April 27, 2009, 10:06:12 PM
Quote from: Neil on April 27, 2009, 09:20:07 PM
It's not the worst idea ever.  World War II has been done to death, and Vietnam already has a game which defined it perfectly.

What's that?  :unsure:

I'd like to know that too.

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 27, 2009, 05:13:18 PM
It's a shitty genre.

Other than that, don't see the problem. :mellow:

I think the genre they were selling this game as, a serious, realistic, tactical shooter, is quite good, and one about Iraq would be interesting.  But that's not remotely close to what they actually made.  Like one poster in the linked article said, "they were marketing 'Roots' but making 'Shaft.'"

Jacob

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on April 27, 2009, 10:07:53 PM
Quote from: Jacob on April 27, 2009, 08:11:16 PM
What a fucking travesty that someone thought that was a good idea to begin with.

I dunno, I'm with the article that was quoted.  A game trying to produce the authentic experience would be quite fascinating.  But an arcadish game would be an abomination.

It's not a topic video games can cover adequately in terms of "authentic experience" at this point in time.

Neil

It's not the worst idea ever.  World War II has been done to death, and Vietnam already has a game which defined it perfectly.

Battlefield Vietnam.  I had a lot of fun with that, back in the day.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: Jacob on April 28, 2009, 03:11:10 AM
Quote from: Barrister on April 27, 2009, 10:07:53 PM
Quote from: Jacob on April 27, 2009, 08:11:16 PM
What a fucking travesty that someone thought that was a good idea to begin with.

I dunno, I'm with the article that was quoted.  A game trying to produce the authentic experience would be quite fascinating.  But an arcadish game would be an abomination.

It's not a topic video games can cover adequately in terms of "authentic experience" at this point in time.
It's not impossible.  It just wouldn't be very fun, and there'd be no money in it.  Cover mechanics are getting better all the time, but weapons fire isn't really that dangerous, and so there really isn't much incentive to use it.

Rushing a dug-in enemy in an attempt to no-scope and then corpse-hump them would be rewarded with death.  The Halo crowd wouldn't appreciate that.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

DisturbedPervert

It's possible, it'd just have to be PC only.  Maybe a small studio pull it off.

saskganesh

with apologies to Johnny Rotten: "I know what I want, but I don't know how to get it."

isometric views. hexes. and autopause/turn ends. :bowler:
humans were created in their own image

Octavian

http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/seal-team

:wub:
If you let someone handcuff you, and put a rope around your neck, don't act all surprised if they hang you!

- Eyal Yanilov.

Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely - lay your life before him.

- Bruce Lee

HisMajestyBOB

For some reason I thought this was a strategy game and was bitterly disappointed. Then I saw it was a shooter, and now I don't care.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Jacob

Quote from: Neil on April 28, 2009, 08:19:43 AMIt's not impossible.  It just wouldn't be very fun, and there'd be no money in it./quote]

Well, those are the metrics I use to judge whether it's possible to make game.  If it's not going to be not fun and not profitable, the game pretty much can't be made adequately.