So, I was thinking of a new laptop

Started by jimmy olsen, November 13, 2011, 10:42:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

What's a good machine and deal look like these days?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Barrister

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 13, 2011, 10:42:08 PM

Come on Tim - you have to give us more details than that.

What is important to you - what are you looking to do with your laptop?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Barrister on November 14, 2011, 01:16:54 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 13, 2011, 10:42:08 PM

Come on Tim - you have to give us more details than that.

What is important to you - what are you looking to do with your laptop?

Get the best bang for the buck. Good graphics. Under $1400

1 Karma Chameleon point

Barrister

Nest bang for the buck for what?

You have to give us some kind of criteria goddamit! :mad:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Barrister on November 14, 2011, 01:37:08 AM
Nest bang for the buck for what?

You have to give us some kind of criteria goddamit! :mad:
Gaming. What else do you really need good graphics for?

1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

Hint: stay away from laptops with nVidia's Optimus drivers. Supposedly, this driver will automatically realize when to use onboard gfx and when to use the nVidia card.

However, a good number of games don't work properly with it. Normally you can override it in the nVidia card settings (had to do that for Skyrim), but sometimes even that doesn't help - for Shogun 2 Total War it took months for some user on Creative Assembly's forums to come up with a way of editing the nVidia settings through an external tool so that the game would properly recognize the card (and it still only runs in DX9 [or 10?], not 11).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Seen some shockingly good ASUS laptops for cheap on Best Buy's website. They must get them in bulk or something.  :huh:

1 Karma Chameleon point

Darth Wagtaros

Get something from Costco or Sams.  They have good warranties.
PDH!

Syt

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 14, 2011, 09:59:21 AM
What gfx card do you recommend then?

Well, not nVidia, which leaves you with ATI. Generally, I like nVidia better (ATI seems to have to odd problem with some games when they're newly released, but I might be wrong). If you can get a good nVidia card on a laptop without Optimus drivers, I'd go for that.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Syt on November 15, 2011, 04:20:15 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 14, 2011, 09:59:21 AM
What gfx card do you recommend then?

Well, not nVidia, which leaves you with ATI. Generally, I like nVidia better (ATI seems to have to odd problem with some games when they're newly released, but I might be wrong). If you can get a good nVidia card on a laptop without Optimus drivers, I'd go for that.
I don't think it's usually specified what drivers are on a laptop in most ads, even the more detailed ones on the web. :unsure:

I've always like nVidia better, as well. Laptops with the nVidia 560M seem to have the most bang for the buck, so if I have to avoid them it's going to be a bit costly I think.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Comparison-of-Laptop-Graphics-Cards.130.0.html

There's an ASUS laptop on Bestbuy for $1,199 with a TB hard drive, 8GB DDR3, nVidia 560M

1 Karma Chameleon point