News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Laptop "hicups"?

Started by Syt, November 12, 2011, 08:44:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I've bought a while ago this laptop and I'm rather happy with it.

However, I notice that it keeps having hicups.

When playing game or running a hardware intensive app (say, Photoshop stuff), the system will freeze for a a split second or up to a second before resuming normal operations.

As this seems to coincide with a suspicious clicking from the internal hard drives (and happens, for example, when a game loads a new music piece from HD), I'm guessing this has to do with data transfer between HD and RAM. I've suspected the HDs going to sleep and taking this moment to re-start, but I've tweaked these settings with no success.

I suspected that the VRAM file was the culprit, but at 16GB RAM this seems silly.

I tried an app that will prevent HD read heads from going to an "idle" position. No luck.

Usually it's not a big bother, but in some cases it becomes rather annoying: Shogun 2 TW doing the hicup fairly often whenever you click something. Or in Skyrim or similar games where this hicup has the effect of a server lag in an MMO, causing you to circle a dozen times or jump off a cliff.

Any idea what the real culprit might be and how to eliminate it?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Cerr

It might be due to HD indexing. Try turning that off.

Syt

I did that. It seems better, but not by much.

In games I notice that it seems to happen more often when the game loads a new sound (dialogue, music etc.).

So I also updated my realtek drivers (laptop has no name onboard audio) and reduced the audio quality (to 24bit, 44100Hz). Will have to see if this helps.

I also wanted to toy with the audi hardware acceleration - wasn't that in DXdiag? I can't seem to find it anmore.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

New drivers have marginally improved things, but I still get a "hicup" every couple of minutes when I play Skyrim (usually just before somebody says something when I pass them, like guards).
—Stephen Jay Gould