Sarkozy calls Netanyahu a "liar". Obama agrees.

Started by Martim Silva, November 08, 2011, 08:36:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siege

Quote from: Razgovory on November 08, 2011, 09:03:12 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on November 08, 2011, 08:57:07 AM
I don't know if this is surprising.  As Jeffrey Goldberg tweeted the real story would be if Obama had corrected Sarko and referred to Bibi as a valued friend and interlocutor.

What I found odd about this story is that it was heard by journos in Cannes but's only come out now.  I don't understand why they didn't report it then and, from my understanding, the story came out via French blogs.

:lol:  I wonder if anyone outside Israel likes Netanyahu.  Idi Amin's boys shot the wrong brother.

You are about to cross the line.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Siege

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 10, 2011, 12:01:34 PM
Just out of curiosity, what did Bibi say to merit the liar tag?

He happened to be jewish, and born in Israel.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 10, 2011, 05:42:22 PM
It always does by necessity but that doesn't mean we should transform into a virtue.  It's a good thing that the press decide with their privileged knowledge what is and isn't worth sharing with us.  My view is that we should simply let the market work which will bend towards a more inclusive and full discourse.

The market doesn't really work in that respect; the best that can be said is that it is the least objectionable of all the other alternatives.

If we want a free society, I agree we are stuck with giving the press free reign to operate, even if it means tolerating their repudiation of their mission to report on stories of substance in favor of incessant pandering to the lowest voyeuristic interest.

But at the same time it is incumbent on us as citizens of a free republic* to use our voices to critique the media for its failures in that regard and register disapproval for the way they operate.

(*may not apply to the feudal subjects of the UK)
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson