And we're back!

Main Menu

JFK to have another carrier named after him

Started by jimmy olsen, November 11, 2011, 12:27:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on November 11, 2011, 12:32:03 PM
I don't thing the French are actually capable of a sex scandal. To be a scandal, someone has to be scandalized.  ;)

I guess if Louis XV didn't scandalize you nothing will.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Viking

A boy whale and a girl whale decided to do something about the whaling ship. So both of them swim under the ship and both blow the air through their blowholes sinking the ship. As the ship sinks the men on board jump in the water trying to get off the sinking ships. The boy whale then says to the girl whale, lets eat the whalers! The girl whale replies, I agreed to the blowjob but I never agreed to swallow seamen.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: grumbler on November 11, 2011, 10:29:11 AM
TJ and JA were boomers.  Those names are available now.

No doubt Jefferson's fondest dream was that someday in the future his name would grace an underwater platform of nuclear devastation, controlled and directed by a vast federal bureaucracy.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Neil

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 11, 2011, 02:06:46 PM
No doubt Jefferson's fondest dream was that someday in the future his name would grace an underwater platform of nuclear devastation, controlled and directed by a vast federal bureaucracy.
To be fair, if Jefferson was alive today, he'd make Ron Paul look life a Great Society type.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

Quote from: Neil on November 11, 2011, 10:38:27 AM
It's the RCN, and we name our carriers after...

Of the 3 carriers in the RCN, two kept the British names (HMCS Warrior and HMCS Magnificent) and the third was named after Bonaventure Island in the Gulf of St. Lawrence.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

Quote from: Viking on November 11, 2011, 01:52:41 PM
A boy whale and a girl whale decided to do something about the whaling ship. So both of them swim under the ship and both blow the air through their blowholes sinking the ship. As the ship sinks the men on board jump in the water trying to get off the sinking ships. The boy whale then says to the girl whale, lets eat the whalers! The girl whale replies, I agreed to the blowjob but I never agreed to swallow seamen.

I don't think the joke works in Whale.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Warspite

To think that the USN used to have such good ship names. :(

The Royal Navy doesn't have many good ship names, either, but due to an entirely different problem: it doesn't have many ships any more.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Razgovory

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 11, 2011, 02:06:46 PM

That's my fondest dream.  Why should his be any different?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Viking

Quote from: The Brain on November 11, 2011, 02:54:27 PM
Quote from: Viking on November 11, 2011, 01:52:41 PM

I don't think the joke works in Whale.
dunno about Whale, I know it doesn't work is Welsh, the language of Wales.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Razgovory

Well some Wales speak Welsh, but those around Quebec are required to provide whale calls in French at request.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

Quote from: Barrister on November 11, 2011, 02:36:50 PM
Quote from: Neil on November 11, 2011, 10:38:27 AM
It's the RCN, and we name our carriers after...
Of the 3 carriers in the RCN, two kept the British names (HMCS Warrior and HMCS Magnificent) and the third was named after Bonaventure Island in the Gulf of St. Lawrence.
The point was that there aren't any carriers in the RCN anymore, haven't been for 40 years and never will be again.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

sbr

Quote from: Viking on November 11, 2011, 09:28:45 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 11, 2011, 09:22:11 AM
Quote from: Berkut on November 11, 2011, 09:21:10 AM
I don't care about naming them after Presidents, but why name another one after Kennedy?

How about the USS Abraham Lincoln, or USS John Adams or even Thomas Jefferson?

Well Kennedy was in the navy.

Jefferson founded the Navy (much against his own best judgement though...)

:hmm:  What am I missing here?

jimmy olsen

I don't care about naming them after Presidents, but why name another one after Kennedy?

:huh: I'm 100% sure that Adams founded the Navy.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

sbr

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 12, 2011, 12:04:15 AM

:huh: I'm 100% sure that Adams founded the Navy.

That was my thought too but now I'm not too sure about that either. 

Of course there was the Continental Navy, which obviously predates any President.  It seems that the first 6 frigates were ordered by Congress during Washington's second term.  Adams definitely expanded the navy during his term and President Jefferson overcame his dislike of the Navy to use it against the Barbary pirates.

Anyone out there more knowledgeable than me (not that that's saying a lot) have an answer?