News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Penn State Goings-On

Started by jimmy olsen, November 06, 2011, 07:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Rasputin

Quote from: Caliga on November 07, 2011, 10:38:56 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 06, 2011, 10:52:03 PM
Wow, the University let Sandusky run over night camps on campus as recently as 2009.

http://deadspin.com/5856887/as-recently-as-2009-jerry-sandusky-was-running-an-overnight-football-camp-for-kids-on-penn-state-campuses
My uncle is really good friends with Curley, to the degree that when he goes up to PSU games (he's an alum) he stays at Curley's house.  I'll be interested to hear his take on this whole fiasco.

I spent a weekend with curley last year (i think i posted about it including pictures last year shortly following the event -- it was joe pas 400th win).

Curley is a great guy to spend the weekend with. Hew was incredibly hospitable, as was the rest of his immediate family (wife  and son).  I was saddened to see this news this am. Curley is a Penn State guy. He was a lettermen at Penn State and had at one time been a graduate assitant for Joe Pa whom he idolizes. If there is any truth to the allegations, I suspect that it was rooted in misguided efforts to protect the institution he loved from a scandal. Much like his decision to step down without a fight, I believe he wants to protect his alma mater first.
Who is John Galt?

sbr

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 07, 2011, 01:43:38 PM
Quote from: sbr on November 07, 2011, 12:21:46 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 06, 2011, 08:43:38 PM
Could this be any more wrong? :XD:

http://creamery.psu.edu/products/food/sandusky-blitz

I don't get it.
:huh:

I'm not sure what is so :XD:-worthy.  I read all the whole label and ingredient list to see and didn't see anything that caught my eye, the name or flavors didn't either, though I am not versed in child molestation jargon so maybe I missed something. 

I can't imagine it is just the fact that there happened to be an ice cream named after someone who was an important and beloved figure in that community and turned out to be something no one else expected.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: sbr on November 07, 2011, 07:13:26 PM

I don't get it.

I'm not sure what is so :XD:-worthy.  I read all the whole label and ingredient list to see and didn't see anything that caught my eye, the name or flavors didn't either, though I am not versed in child molestation jargon so maybe I missed something. 

I can't imagine it is just the fact that there happened to be an ice cream named after someone who was an important and beloved figure in that community and turned out to be something no one else expected.
Think of what the guy is accused of and then look at the main flavors/ingredients in the Sandusky Blitz and the jokes just write themselves.

Banana, caramel and peanuts

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

sbr

Quote from: Valmy on November 07, 2011, 12:27:27 AM
Quote from: sbr on November 07, 2011, 12:25:02 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 06, 2011, 09:27:11 PM
Well if I was voting I'd definitely put Stanford ahead of them. But Boise St and Houston don't deserve auto-bumping with their schedules. So I'd have Alabama at #4. Even so, I still think they're better than OK St and Stanford.

Yep.  I woke up on Saturday pretty sure that LSU and Alabama were the best two teams in the country, by a pretty good margin.  I didn't see anything yesterday that changed my mind. 

How can a team that gives up 40+ points to K State be #2 in the country. :rolleyes:

The same way any team is #2 in the country: they won.  Same way LSU is #1 even though they let West Virginia torch them for 500+ yards.  Win all your games, you should get a chance.  People laughed at Bama and why they deserved to play Miami in 1992 and at Ohio State in 2002.  Look how those turned out.

But frankly sbr I wouldn't worry about Oklahoma State.  I do not care how many star players for Oklahoma are injured they never beat Oklahoma and doubly so when they really really need to.

I was mostly just mildly trolling, though I have to say OK State is starting to annoy me; they are moving in on Oregon's territory.  I don't think there is room in this country for a second team with a billionaire owner booster who single-handedly builds amazing facilites, has a high-octane flashy offense and a hundred different ugly uniform combinations.  That was the Ducks' shtick long before T Boone Pickens came along and I don't want to see it cheapened by working a second time for another school.  :mad:

sbr

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 07, 2011, 07:18:43 PM

I don't get it.

Think of what the guy is accused of and then look at the main flavors/ingredients in the Sandusky Blitz and the jokes just write themselves.

:hmm:  I'll take your word for it.  Unless you want to share one of those pre-written jokes.

Caliga

Quote from: Rasputin on November 07, 2011, 05:40:37 PM
I spent a weekend with curley last year (i think i posted about it including pictures last year shortly following the event -- it was joe pas 400th win).

Curley is a great guy to spend the weekend with. Hew was incredibly hospitable, as was the rest of his immediate family (wife  and son).  I was saddened to see this news this am. Curley is a Penn State guy. He was a lettermen at Penn State and had at one time been a graduate assitant for Joe Pa whom he idolizes. If there is any truth to the allegations, I suspect that it was rooted in misguided efforts to protect the institution he loved from a scandal. Much like his decision to step down without a fight, I believe he wants to protect his alma mater first.
Wait... did you go to PSU?  What's your connection with the athletic program there?
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

jimmy olsen

An incredibly informative interview by an alumnus that makes it sound like tons of people knew and more suspected.

CBSpodcast

1 Karma Chameleon point

Rasputin

At cal:

I am and remain an fsu guy through and through.

I have no connection to penn state other than a long time admiration for the program (as with most people of my generation who grew up in the mid atlantic).

In my spare time, i am a member of the gator bowl committee to include the scout committee. Every year i make a trip to an sec or big ten school on a game day and report back what i think of the fan base mainly with an eye towards assessing whether they would follow their team to a bowl game in north florida in january. Its a lot of fun and we tend to have some significant interaction with the ad or his assistant.

Last year i visited penn state for its game against northwestern. As luck would have it, a win would be joe pa's 400th. Curley brought me to an alumni cocktail party on friday and then to his private dining room outside the nittany lion inn. He also invited me to the presidents tail gate on saturday before the game and his country club for dinner following the game. He also let watch the game from the field in the fourth quarter and stay on the field for the post game festivities with joe pa. It was the most hospitable treatment ive ever received and he made it a very memorable weekend. Spending all that time with him, i felt like i got a good sense of the man. There is no doubt that he would fall on his sword for that program if need be. He is an alumnus, a fan, a paterno admirer, and clearly was thrilled to have found himself in his dream job.

I liked Curley and was sad to see the allegations made against him; i hope they are untrue. I was equally sad to see that he resigned under these circumstances.  If true, he was a decent human being who made some horrible decisions based upon misguided values.
Who is John Galt?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: sbr on November 07, 2011, 07:27:40 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 07, 2011, 07:18:43 PM

I don't get it.

:hmm:  I'll take your word for it.  Unless you want to share one of those pre-written jokes.
Hmm...how are banana's usually referenced in sexual jokes?

What could caramel and peanuts represent in such a joke? :hmm:

Are you fucking kidding me? If you were 13 and still confused I'd think you were just a bit dense, or been home schooled your whole life. But you're a grown man, there's no way you don't understand.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

It seems that Paterno is about to be let go.  What a bad week in Pennsylvania sports history. :(
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

jimmy olsen

Good, he completely deserves to be fired.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on November 08, 2011, 01:33:01 PM
It seems that Paterno is about to be let go.  What a bad week in Pennsylvania sports history. :(

It is one of the worst stories I have heard in a while.  A serial pedophile getting cover from an institution...just horrible right out of the worst moments of the Catholic Church.

The whole athletic department administration and the University President need to be terminated immediately.

I am a little  baffled why the media waited two years while this thing was under investigation to report it.  They actually waited for the indictment which is...unusual.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on November 08, 2011, 01:42:06 PM
Quote from: Caliga on November 08, 2011, 01:33:01 PM

It is one of the worst stories I have heard in a while.  A serial pedophile getting cover from an institution...just horrible right out of the worst moments of the Catholic Church.

The whole athletic department administration and the University President need to be terminated immediately.

I am a little  baffled why the media for waiting two years while this thing was under investigation to report it.  They actually waited for the indictment which is...unusual.

When you consider it involves college sports... not so much.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

jimmy olsen

Props for this guy.
http://twitpic.com/7c6cy8

1 Karma Chameleon point