News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

West Hollywood approves first fur ban in U.S.

Started by garbon, November 08, 2011, 03:13:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

http://news.yahoo.com/west-hollywood-approves-first-fur-ban-u-181344531.html

QuotePutting animal rights over fashion imperatives and its own vibrant shopping scene, West Hollywood's leaders have given final approval to a first-in-the-nation ban on the sale of fur clothing within city limits.

The five-member City Council of the tiny, tony municipality wedged between Beverly Hills and Hollywood voted 3-1 with one abstention early on Tuesday to approve the ordinance, said City Councilman John Heilman, who voted no.

The ban was tentatively adopted by the council on September 20 and had been expected to win easy enactment two weeks later.

But it ran into stiff opposition from the local Chamber of Commerce and the fur industry, whose main trade group, the Fur Information Council of America, happens to be based in West Hollywood.

Opponents say nearly half of the 200 apparel stores in town sell at least some fur items, and that merchandise made with animal pelts is estimated to account for up to $2 million in revenues for those businesses each year.

But the city's famously left-leaning political establishment ultimately embraced the ban, won over by supporters' arguments that furs are produced from animals that are inhumanely killed for their pelts.

However, the date the measure will take effect was pushed back to September 21, 2013, from the original June 30, 2012, in part because city officials want to conduct their own study on how the ordinance will affect businesses, Heilman said.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Archy

won't someone think of the sealinfested Canadians :mad:

Barrister

Quote from: Ideologue on November 09, 2011, 01:04:07 AM
Good.

seriously... living in Yukon I knew perhaps a dozen or more full-time trappers.  They trapped animals as part of their lifestyle - they hardly became rich doing it.  Their industry was fully sustainable, and most of them were aboriginal / First Nations, who were attempting to live the same lifestyle as their father / grandfather / ancestors.

I am fully biased, but I can not see how their lives were somehow filled with evil and animal abuse.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ideologue

Quote from: Barrister on November 09, 2011, 01:12:26 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on November 09, 2011, 01:04:07 AM
Good.

seriously... living in Yukon I knew perhaps a dozen or more full-time trappers.  They trapped animals as part of their lifestyle - they hardly became rich doing it.  Their industry was fully sustainable, and most of them were aboriginal / First Nations, who were attempting to live the same lifestyle as their father / grandfather / ancestors.

I am fully biased, but I can not see how their lives were somehow filled with evil and animal abuse.

I don't think they're evil.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

People are still anti-fur?  I thought they gave that up.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Nothing says painful sacrifice in a noble cause like a southern Californian giving up fur.

Scipio

Of all the stupid bullshit restraining free enterprise in the world, this is right up there with criminalizing marjiuana.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

garbon

Quote from: Scipio on November 09, 2011, 08:19:21 AM
Of all the stupid bullshit restraining free enterprise in the world, this is right up there with criminalizing marjiuana.

Fur hasn't been criminalized, you just can't sell it in town.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

KRonn

Well, scratch one city for me to buy my fur coats and hats.     ;)

Valmy

Damn so you will have to drive to LA to buy your fur coat for the harsh SoCal winter.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on November 09, 2011, 03:55:31 PM
Damn so you will have to drive to LA to buy your fur coat for the harsh SoCal winter.

Does look like they will have a far drive...