News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The California Budget

Started by alfred russel, April 26, 2009, 03:47:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saskganesh

health care is such an endless, badly serviced, bureacraticized black hole I'd be happy to entertain any number of solutions that are fiscally sane, maintain access, and focus on actual health.
humans were created in their own image

Zanza

Quote from: Barrister on April 27, 2009, 12:07:35 AMThere's no "acceptable" level of debt for a sovereign government IMHO.
Government debt = riskless investments for consumers. Without government debt, where would you put your retirement money? Putting it all into stocks or corporate debt or so is not safe enough for most people.

alfred russel

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 27, 2009, 09:29:52 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on April 26, 2009, 03:47:29 PM
There have been plenty of news stories of the budget crisis in California. I've looked up some numbers for 2007 (the last year I could find in a quick internet search):

I believe their fiscal positions has deteriorated very sharply since 07, due to the narrow tax base.  California also suffers from a governance problem, in that the referendum system hamstrings its ability to raise revenue.  So from the POV of a bond investor, it looks risky.

It does reduce my sympathy for California, though.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on April 26, 2009, 05:02:33 PM
You're comparing a lot of bad apples. IMHO.  Why is any amount of debt considered to be acceptable?

I just double-checked - Yukon has no debt.

http://www.finance.gov.yk.ca/pdf/budget/2008_09_longterm_e.pdf
and Yukon is a territory administered by the federal government... Even Alberta will have some debt this year.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on April 27, 2009, 06:57:41 PM
and Yukon is a territory administered by the federal government... Even Alberta will have some debt this year.

Uh, no?  Power was devolved to YTG (Yukon Territorial Government) a number of years ago.  Yukon has powers quite similar to a province, and is definitely not administered by the Feds.

Of course what you could point out is that approximately 90% of YTG's total income comes from federal transfer payments, and our own tax base comprises less than 10%. :lol:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Neil

Quote from: Barrister on April 27, 2009, 07:03:00 PM
Uh, no?  Power was devolved to YTG (Yukon Territorial Government) a number of years ago.  Yukon has powers quite similar to a province, and is definitely not administered by the Feds.

Of course what you could point out is that approximately 90% of YTG's total income comes from federal transfer payments, and our own tax base comprises less than 10%. :lol:
The Yukon better not have a debt, given the amount of money it's given and the fact that it only has to service a small town's worth of people.  I'm sure there are enough natives up there to cripple productivity, but there's enough money in the Yukon to get them permafried on inhalants.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Habsburg

Barrister

Quote from: Neil on April 27, 2009, 07:30:17 PM
The Yukon better not have a debt, given the amount of money it's given and the fact that it only has to service a small town's worth of people.  I'm sure there are enough natives up there to cripple productivity, but there's enough money in the Yukon to get them permafried on inhalants.

The trouble with Yukon is we may only have a small city's population, but we have the land area roughly equal to any province.  That leads to some pretty extreme transportation costs, and highway maintenance is a huge expense per capita...

saskganesh

Quote from: Barrister on April 27, 2009, 07:03:00 PM
Quote from: viper37 on April 27, 2009, 06:57:41 PM

the bulk of its not even a transfer payment, but a straight out grant.

the yukon. the short bus of confederation.

@ viper: Alberta this year is running a deficit , but they have socked away some cash, so they remain debt-free.

Neil

Quote from: Barrister on April 27, 2009, 08:23:49 PM

The trouble with Yukon is we may only have a small city's population, but we have the land area roughly equal to any province.  That leads to some pretty extreme transportation costs, and highway maintenance is a huge expense per capita...
Aha!  I've caught you in a lie!  The Yukon is smaller than any one of the real (non-Atlantic) provinces.

Still, I can see how that would be an issue.  Perhaps the answer is to provide incentives to settle those wild and barbarous lands.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

Quote from: Neil on April 27, 2009, 08:37:17 PM

Aha!  I've caught you in a lie!  The Yukon is smaller than any one of the real (non-Atlantic) provinces.

Still, I can see how that would be an issue.  Perhaps the answer is to provide incentives to settle those wild and barbarous lands.

Yukon: 483,500km2
Saskatchewan: 591,670km2

Sounds like "roughly equal" to me.

Barrister

Quote from: saskganesh on April 27, 2009, 08:34:28 PM

@ viper: Alberta this year is running a deficit , but they have socked away some cash, so they remain debt-free.

You think we're bad?  You should look at Nunavut.

Neil

Quote from: Barrister on April 27, 2009, 08:50:43 PM
Quote from: Neil on April 27, 2009, 08:37:17 PM

Yukon: 483,500km2
Saskatchewan: 591,670km2

Sounds like "roughly equal" to me.
100,000 square kilometres is quite a few.

Also, Saskatchewan covers an area of 651,036 km2 when you take freshwater area into account.

Statscan: http://www40.statcan.ca/l01/cst01/phys01-eng.htm

saskganesh

Quote from: Barrister on April 27, 2009, 08:51:28 PM
Quote from: saskganesh on April 27, 2009, 08:34:28 PM

You think we're bad?  You should look at Nunavut.

you are right. they don't even have roads!

saskganesh

100, 000 K is the size of iceland.

and the amount of canadian forests infected by pine beetles in 2008. :smarty: