Engaged couple discover they are brother and sister just before wedding

Started by jimmy olsen, November 04, 2011, 09:56:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slargos

Quote from: Martinus on November 05, 2011, 08:45:48 AM
Quote from: garbon on November 05, 2011, 08:15:04 AMI think he was taking issue with the implied part of your statement that if they had grown up as brother and sister then there would be a problem.

Yup. I see this as a consenting adults thing. If one does not care about the genetic defects of potential offspring (as Max apparently doesn't) then as long as both parties are consenting, there is no reason to differentiate between a situation where they grew up together and where they didn't.

The yuck factor should not inform the legal or moral judgement of other people's sexual habits.

I read Max's post as "Since they weren't raised as brother and sister they will not have developed the natural instinct to not fuck eachother so there's no problem". I guess if I simply work from the assumption that Max is a rational individual and I don't need to look for reasons to expect the absolute worst of him every time he makes a statement that is in any way ambiguous.

garbon

Quote from: garbon on November 05, 2011, 08:15:04 AMI think he was taking issue with the implied part of your statement that if they had grown up as brother and sister then there would be a problem.

Yup. I see this as a consenting adults thing. If one does not care about the genetic defects of potential offspring (as Max apparently doesn't) then as long as both parties are consenting, there is no reason to differentiate between a situation where they grew up together and where they didn't.

The yuck factor should not inform the legal or moral judgement of other people's sexual habits.

Perhaps, although I wonder to what extent that consent would be informed by underlying power dynamics between family members.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Quote from: CaligaPrincesca and I are 13th cousins as the most distant possible relation.  I would guess most people of similar ethnic descent to their spouse are that close or closer--our common ancestor was a North Carolina planter named Needham Dees who lived in the late 18th century.

Neat.  I actually would have guessed the average was closer, though.  Maybe in these days of high mobility I was underestimating how many people one is likely to meet.

Quote from: Martinus on November 05, 2011, 08:51:32 AM
Quote from: Caliga on November 05, 2011, 08:06:13 AM
I think the effects of inbreeding are often grossly exaggerated for whatever reason.  I think it takes multiple instances over successive generations to produce dudes like that trapjawed Spanish king with the Jay Leno chin.

Yeah. And if you consider that for a moment, criminalizing breeding of consenting adults because of a potential risk of genetic defects for the offspring seems quite monstrous by modern human rights standards (that's eugenics pure and simple).

Not really.  Nazis and Americans gave eugenics a bad name, is all. :(

Quote from: garbonPerhaps, although I wonder to what extent that consent would be informed by underlying power dynamics between family members.

Indeed.  This is the more important reason to worry about incest (although of course cases such as these pose the exception).
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Maximus

:mellow:

I specifically said it should not be a problem for anyone else. How then could there be a legal or moral judgement?

Caliga

Ide, I would guess we're more closely related than that... that's just the closest relationship I could find.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Quote from: Ideologue on November 05, 2011, 02:12:01 AM
Has anyone here ever gone to the trouble of finding out how closely related they are to their sexual partners?  I'm not much into genealogy.  Cal?

I did.  My wife and I have a common ancestor in the 17th century so we are 10th some odd cousins.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Maximus

Didn't find a common ancestor, but Meri's ancestors and mine lived in 2 nearby towns in Connecticut in the 17th century.

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Martinus on November 05, 2011, 03:38:17 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on November 05, 2011, 02:12:01 AMHas anyone here ever gone to the trouble of finding out how closely related they are to their sexual partners?  I'm not much into genealogy.  Cal?

I didn't check on the account of a very low risk of inbreeding.
If fanfiction has taught us anything its that you shouldn't count on that.
PDH!

Razgovory

I'm proud to have read any fan fiction, or any fiction primarily concerned with fans, wind turbines, windmills or ventilators in general.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on November 06, 2011, 01:48:08 AM
I'm proud to have read any fan fiction, or any fiction primarily concerned with fans, wind turbines, windmills or ventilators in general.

Which works in particular have inspired you?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 06, 2011, 02:25:55 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 06, 2011, 01:48:08 AM

Which works in particular have inspired you?

I meant 'Never read any fan fiction', funny how leaving one word out changes the meaning of a whole sentence.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory