News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Chinese coin found in Yukon

Started by Oexmelin, November 02, 2011, 07:40:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Brazen on November 03, 2011, 12:08:04 PM
How about it was a lucky old coin carried by the Chinese workforce imported for gold-panning or rail-road building and just dropped off from those extra holes drilled in to tie round his neck?

Don't think there were any chinese workers imported.  It was a gold rush - tens of thousands of people were streamed into Yukon in 1898 and in fact many of them were unemployed once they arrived.  there were too many people and too few jobs.

There might have been Chinese workers used on the railroad, but that only runs from Skagway to Whitehorse.  This was northwest of Carmacks, 200-300km north of Whitehorse.

Plus that was a pretty old coin even in 1898.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Caliga

Quote from: Brazen on November 03, 2011, 12:08:04 PM
How about it was a lucky old coin carried by the Chinese workforce imported for gold-panning or rail-road building and just dropped off from those extra holes drilled in to tie round his neck?
Not possible.  Everyone knows that coins disintegrate exactly one year after they've been minted unless they've been transported to some exotic locale and then buried.  Therefore, 1421 theory = correct. :smarty:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"