British to Allow Armed Guards to Combat Sea Piracy

Started by jimmy olsen, November 01, 2011, 09:14:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 04, 2011, 03:00:33 AM
This BBC article has some additional information :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15510467

Notably :

"But armed guards would only be permitted while passing through dangerous waters, such as the Red Sea and the Gulf of Aden"

and

"Mr Cook said many armed guards were former Royal Navy and Royal Marines personnel, and he added: "With the current redundancies it has provided them with an ideal place to go."

..........which would appear to agree with grumbler. Rightly or wrongly (IMO rightly) the British are not generally in favour of issuing arms to untrained people, believing it will simply increase the number of deaths and general carnage.

You know, actually having a company provide guards that only serve on the short distance where the Pirates attack is not a bad idea.  You could have the extra security board the ship at one edge of the pirate waters and disembark at the other end.  The ships won't have to be outfitted for exta crew and security wouldn't have to sit around in peaceful waters with nothing to do.  They would always stay in dangerous waters and through experience develop a good idea of Pirate tactics.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Maximus

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.