IE no longer has the majority

Started by Baron von Schtinkenbutt, November 04, 2011, 08:51:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

The end of an era: Internet Explorer drops below 50% of Web usage

QuoteA couple of interesting things happened in the world of Web browser usage during October. The more significant one is that Internet Explorer's share of global browser usage dropped below 50 percent for the first time in more than a decade. Less significant, but also notable, is that Chrome for the first time overtook Firefox here at Ars, making it the technologist's browser of choice.

Internet Explorer still retains a majority of the desktop browser market share, at 52.63 percent, a substantial 1.76 point drop from September. However, desktop browsing makes up only about 94 percent of Web traffic; the rest comes from phones and tablets, both markets in which Internet Explorer is all but unrepresented. As a share of the whole browser market, Internet Explorer has only 49.58 percent of users. Microsoft's browser first achieved a majority share in—depending on which numbers you look at—1998 or 1999. It reached its peak of about 95 percent share in 2004, and has been declining ever since.

I didn't realize Chrome was making such inroads.  It appears to be poaching users from both IE and Firefox.

DontSayBanana

This is great news for me.  More justification to avoid IE-specific bugfixes in web page coding?  Sweet.
Experience bij!

fhdz

< IE9 sucks balls. IE9 is *great*. Firefox has a good interface but its memory usage looks like Baron Harkonnen. Chrome is fast, but otherwise meh.
and the horse you rode in on

garbon

I knew that about Chrome although I'd read the overtake wouldn't happen till December.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Unexpected, I thought the idiotic majority would keep it in power- to my dad internet explorer is the internet, I mean, it says internet on it, firefox doesn't :frusty:.

Tales of spyware keep me scared of chrome. And the lack of favourites.
██████
██████
██████

Arvoreen

Quote from: Tyr on November 05, 2011, 03:07:35 AM
Unexpected, I thought the idiotic majority would keep it in power- to my dad internet explorer is the internet, I mean, it says internet on it, firefox doesn't :frusty:.

Tales of spyware keep me scared of chrome. And the lack of favourites.
Lack of favourites?  You can bookmark anything you want...and have your bookmark toolbar/folders/etc.  What's it missing?