News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Perry Proposes a Flat Tax

Started by Faeelin, October 25, 2011, 11:53:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Yeah. If you tax łiquid assets, people will just always find ways of keeping the assets in a non-taxable form. It's funny how ideologues like Ideologue always seem to miss the basics of reality.

fhdz

Quote from: sbr on November 01, 2011, 07:38:29 AM
I really like the way the value of my house keeps going down, but the property taxes I owe keeps going up.

Yeah, I'm fairly certain Oregon's tax assessor's office smokes crack.
and the horse you rode in on

fhdz

Quote from: garbon on November 01, 2011, 08:35:18 AM
Wouldn't you be encouraging people to never save money / not keep money in banks?

Yes, we'd see a heyday of offshore banking. That's some happy Swiss folks!

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on November 01, 2011, 08:35:18 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on October 31, 2011, 05:47:42 PM
We tax cars and houses, I don't see why taxing a bank account would be particularly different (in fact, it'd be far superior, since taxing a bank account is taxing liquid assets, as opposed to potentially forcing the sale of a physical asset that generates wealth, like a car).

Yi, I didn't ignore you, I'm thinking about your question.

Wouldn't you be encouraging people to never save money / not keep money in banks?

Probably the case.  Like I said, I was approaching it more from a moral/fairness point of view (with some consideration of administrative feasibility), but that's a pretty big practical objection.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

I bury my money in the yard. Argh.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

fhdz

Quote from: Ideologue on November 01, 2011, 12:40:48 PM
Probably the case.  Like I said, I was approaching it more from a moral/fairness point of view (with some consideration of administrative feasibility), but that's a pretty big practical objection.

Taxes shouldn't exist for moral reasons. Their sole purpose should be to generate needed revenue for government services. I think we forget that sometimes. Societies like ours which simultaneously demand government services and complain about the fact that someone has to pay for them seem to suffer from a collective multiple personality disorder.

fhdz

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive