American Gun Ownership Highest In 18 Years

Started by jimmy olsen, October 27, 2011, 10:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Well, in Germany, in order to get a hunting rifle, you'll need a hunting license which involves an exam about wildlife, proper handling of guns, wildlife preservation and also how to properly gut an animal (similar for fishing, btw). Though I don't think I've ever heard of anyone failing such tests. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

From the TSA Instagram account:

QuoteThese are just a few of the firearms discovered in carry-on bags this month. So far, over 1,100 firearms have been discovered in carry-on bags this year, the majority of them loaded. Left to right, top to bottom, the firearms were discovered at Atlanta, Cincinnati, Austin, Baltimore, Wichita, Sacramento, Phoenix, Denver, and Dallas.

http://instagram.com/tsa
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

CountDeMoney

Luluzi, adios, dickhead.  Too bad the parents weren't in the line of fire, too.

Quote9-Year-Old Girl Accidently Shoots, Kills Instructor at Gun Range
Aug. 26, 2014

A nine-year-old girl accidentally shot and killed a shooting range instructor in Arizona, police say.

Charles Vacca, 39, was instructing the girl on how to use an automatic Uzi on Monday when the girl, who was accompanied by her parents, pulled the trigger and then lost control of the weapon, the Mohave County Sheriff's Office said in a statement Tuesday. Vacca was shot in the head and died of his injuries.

Sam Scarmardo, the operator of the shooting range Last Stop where the accident occurred, said the range allows accompanied children age eight and older to handle weapons.

He said Vacca, a longtime military veteran, had been working at the range for roughly two years. Scarmardo also said the range had not had an accident since it was opened more than a decade ago.

The girl's parents were recording the tutorial on their cell phones when the incident occurred and handed the footage over to authorities, according to Scarmardo.

CountDeMoney

Here's the video of the incident, clipped right before we go full auto

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/arizona-shooting-range-instructor-killed-girl-uzi-n189611

So the firearms instructor is dead, and died doing what he loved, so don't sweat him;  it's a 9 year old girl has to live with this all her life, somebody that should be worried more about Disney princesses, stickers and a pony instead of a fully automatic 9mm carbine that was standard issue for the Israeli Defense Force.

Psyche: permanently trashed.  Might as well start the cutting, eating disorders and get fitted for the clear heels now.  Way to go, Mom and Dad.  Way to go, Arizona.  Way to go, gun nuts.  :thumbsup:  :yeah:

Syt

Reminds me of the live fire exercise in Starship Troopers. MEDIC!
—Stephen Jay Gould

mongers

Hey don't knock it, a day may come when the US might need those child solders.  :P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Syt

http://takingnote.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/07/16/gun-deaths-versus-car-deaths/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0

Quote[...]

A report out on Tuesday from the Violence Policy Center confirms yet again the lunacy of America's loose gun policies.

The report contains the striking finding that gun deaths exceeded motor vehicle deaths in 14 states and the District of Columbia in 2011, the latest year for which the relevant data are available from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. That's up from 12 states in 2010 and 9 states in 2009.

The 2011 states are Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Illinois, Louisiana, Maryland, Michigan, Nevada, Ohio, Oregon, Utah, Vermont, Virginia and Washington State, as well as the District of Columbia.

In Alaska, for example, there were 126 gun deaths and 87 motor vehicle deaths. The numbers in Ohio were 1,227 gun deaths and 1,178 motor vehicle deaths.

Nationwide, the number of motor vehicle deaths still exceeded gun deaths: 35,543 to 32,351.  But consider that in 2009 the spread was much larger – 42,624 motor vehicles deaths nationwide and 28,874 gun deaths.

[...]

If gun deaths exceed car deaths in some states then it must mean that cars and driving are overregulated. Let's remove the requirement for licenses and age limits. Let everyone drive whenever and however they want. It's a citizen's right, no? :P
—Stephen Jay Gould

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Syt on August 27, 2014, 07:57:57 AM
If gun deaths exceed car deaths in some states then it must mean that cars and driving are overregulated. Let's remove the requirement for licenses and age limits. Let everyone drive whenever and however they want. It's a citizen's right, no? :P

[autonut]
The proper terminology is not "car", but "motor vehicle".  :rolleyes:

I SUPPORT THE AAA
[/autonut]

Berkut

Quote from: Syt on July 27, 2014, 12:42:21 PM
I think the U.S. missed their opportunity to have some semblance of sensible gun control. IMHO it would make sense to have a regimen similar to getting a diver's license. Have a curriculum, plus a test that covers your knowledge of technical, legal and safety topics and a basic practical test.

I am not sure I would say we "missed an opportunity". The reality is that the gun nuts have won, and the way they won is kind of amazing.

Over the last several decades they've effectively invented a "right" that never existed prior to that, and they've done so through the court of public opinion. It is a impressive example of how if you repeat something often enough, it can become "pravda", even for the Supreme Court.

Every Americun has a right to own their guns, and corporations are people. Go USSC!
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

DGuller

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 27, 2014, 07:24:57 AM
Here's the video of the incident, clipped right before we go full auto

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/arizona-shooting-range-instructor-killed-girl-uzi-n189611

So the firearms instructor is dead, and died doing what he loved, so don't sweat him;  it's a 9 year old girl has to live with this all her life, somebody that should be worried more about Disney princesses, stickers and a pony instead of a fully automatic 9mm carbine that was standard issue for the Israeli Defense Force.

Psyche: permanently trashed.  Might as well start the cutting, eating disorders and get fitted for the clear heels now.  Way to go, Mom and Dad.  Way to go, Arizona.  Way to go, gun nuts.  :thumbsup:  :yeah:
Another aspect of that tragedy is that she'll probably be too scarred to ever get trained on the proper use of fully automatic guns again.

derspiess

Quote from: Berkut on August 27, 2014, 08:03:12 AM
I think the U.S. missed their opportunity to have some semblance of sensible gun control. IMHO it would make sense to have a regimen similar to getting a diver's license. Have a curriculum, plus a test that covers your knowledge of technical, legal and safety topics and a basic practical test.

I am not sure I would say we "missed an opportunity". The reality is that the gun nuts have won, and the way they won is kind of amazing.

Over the last several decades they've effectively invented a "right" that never existed prior to that, and they've done so through the court of public opinion. It is a impressive example of how if you repeat something often enough, it can become "pravda", even for the Supreme Court.

Every Americun has a right to own their guns, and corporations are people. Go USSC!

Funny, I didn't know the 2nd Amendment was that new.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Berkut

Quote from: derspiess on August 27, 2014, 08:34:28 AM

Funny, I didn't know the 2nd Amendment was that new.

The "interpretation" of it that would allow a judge to strike down controls on handguns certainly is...which is pretty easy to note considering that bans like that have been around in one form or another since the 2nd was ratified.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Ed Anger

This is why you teach them bolt action rifles first.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DGuller

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 27, 2014, 08:57:18 AM
This is why you teach them bolt action rifles first.
Taking is slow has a price as well.  What if the girl were attacked by a whole group of bullies at school next week?  In such a situation, the difference between an automatic weapon and a bolt-action rifle can be the difference between life and death.

Warspite

What is also striking is how the gun nuts have actually consolidated their position in the aftermath of shooting tragedies on successive occasions. Truly a masterclass in crisis communications strategies.  :wacko:
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA