American Gun Ownership Highest In 18 Years

Started by jimmy olsen, October 27, 2011, 10:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 17, 2013, 08:13:46 AM
Quote from: Berkut on July 17, 2013, 08:01:45 AM
So I just got done reading that alt-history 1632 book about a bunch of guys who go back in time from modern day West Virginia.

Funny, you always struck me as being too intelligent to do something like that.

It actually wasn't bad at all. A bit hokey obviously, but it made for decent light/fun reading.

I actually like that one of the themes seems to be the desire by the leader of the group to avoid letting the new "United States" become a military dictatorship/empire.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Malthus

Quote from: DGuller on July 17, 2013, 09:58:01 AM
If I were in place of those couple of guys, I would employ a system much like the one used in German concentration camps to control a large number of people with few numbers of your own.  After establishing such a fiefdom, I would put the highest priority on firearm R&D, to help along the firearm technology to the point where the natives cold produce the bullets for you.  Hopefully me and the fellow modern gun nuts would remember enough of modern technology to really give the captive natives a good head start.

I doubt whether having some modern firearms would overawe the natives of the 17th century enough to establish your dictatorship of evil.  ;)

Sure, they are better than what the natives have, but not by *that* much that a handful of random 21st century types could (say) consistently defeat a colonial militia that significantly outnumbered them so badly as to force them into slavery.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

DGuller

Not slavery, more like serfdom.  Slaves won't be able to think outside the box while researching the bullet cartridge technology.

Ed Anger

Huh, the russian goes for the Work camp solution. WHO WOULDA THUNK IT
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DGuller

Quote from: Malthus on July 17, 2013, 10:59:02 AM
Sure, they are better than what the natives have, but not by *that* much that a handful of random 21st century types could (say) consistently defeat a colonial militia that significantly outnumbered them so badly as to force them into slavery.
The point of my system would be to have a militia of my own, by employing a ladder of terror.  Get enough underlings to work for you and oppress their own underlings, until you develop a classes of people who are very much vested in your continued success.

The Brain

You could employ my bladder of terror.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Maximus

Quote from: Berkut on July 17, 2013, 10:54:51 AM
So I just got done reading that alt-history 1632 book about a bunch of guys who go back in time from modern day West Virginia.

It actually wasn't bad at all. A bit hokey obviously, but it made for decent light/fun reading.

I actually like that one of the themes seems to be the desire by the leader of the group to avoid letting the new "United States" become a military dictatorship/empire.
My issue with Flint is after reading a few books they are all the same. Catholics and English are bad. Scots and Irish are good because they hate English. Protestants are good because they hate Catholics. Catholic Irish are tragically conflicted.

11B4V

Quote from: Berkut on July 17, 2013, 08:13:29 AM
Ignoring the powder waulity issue for the moment, is there a life to the actual shell itself? Can it be reloading indefinitely?

No

If they dont load it "Hot", the brass will last for a while. Some of that brass you see in the pic I posted has 6 reloads on them.

I have reloaded Magnum Rifle cartridges quite a bit. Generally your magnums are loaded as high as 65k PSI  (see the typical cartridge PSI's below). I've had unusable magnum rifle brass after the second reload.

There is a major indicator and it's not a split case. The primer pocket enlarges just enough to where the case cant hold a primer. The primer will be loose fitting or just plain fall out when you try to seat it. One of the checks for this in the hand loading process is, there should be a slight resistance to seat the primer. I use a hand priming tool and it's easy to tell.

Another way is to check the case web area inside the empty case. The pic below shows the area you want to check. All it takes is a simple paper clip. If you feel the ridge or ring while running a paper clip just above the case web area, it indicates a thinning of the brass in that area. This will result in what's called "Incipient Case Head Separation".

Case is split only to show where and what you are checking for.

What it can look like from the outside in an extreme case.

So if your not loading a case at it's maximum, it will last for a while.

PSI
30-06: 58K
8mm Mauser: 55K- 58K
7mm Remington Mag: 60K-63K
270, 300, 340, etc Weatherby Magnums: 65K
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Berkut

Quote from: Maximus on July 17, 2013, 12:34:19 PM
Quote from: Berkut on July 17, 2013, 10:54:51 AM

My issue with Flint is after reading a few books they are all the same. Catholics and English are bad. Scots and Irish are good because they hate English. Protestants are good because they hate Catholics. Catholic Irish are tragically conflicted.

The first one was free. I enjoyed it, but I am not sure I enjoyed it enough to pay for any more of the books. So perhaps it is best that I just stop now, if it becomes a bit obvious and formulaic.

On the other hand, a story set in that time is going to have kind of obvious good guys and bad guys, right? Obviously the "powers that be" will have the greatest vested interest in opposing the radical change being introduced, and that is going to be the major powers of the day - the Catholic Church, Spain, France, England.

0 rows returned

Berkut

Thanks 11B. Long story short, they could probably reload, the brass would last for at least several reloads (especially given the certainly vastly less powerful powder available), but there would be serious problems with the weapons becoming fouled with that shitty powder.

They had an entire mining community get moved, so they do have access to machine shops, an entire high school worth of chemistry stuff, and some reasonable competent technical people who could, in theory at least, improve powder manufacture themselves.

0 rows returned

Syt

How convenient. It would have been more interesting if a university's computer science department got transposed. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

11B4V

Quote from: derspiess on July 17, 2013, 08:21:59 AM
  But since the cases expand after each firing to the point where you have to re-form them with dies and trim the excess, the metal does thin out.  You'd eventually have a point where it would get too thin.

That reminds me. One my officers came in before shift last week, and said he got a 30-06 case stuck the sizing die. I told him to get a stuck case removal kit. Well he had already past that point. He tried to use a metal rod to pound the case out and ended up breaking the rim off the case. So the kit was out of the question. I had an extra Lee 30-06 die set, so I traded him for RCBS small base 223 dies.

For future reference, he was using spray-on case lube and a stuck case is all to common with that shit. For close to 25 years I have used the RCBS goop with a pad and never had a stuck case. Fucking kids these days.  :lol:

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Malthus

Quote from: Syt on July 17, 2013, 01:23:03 PM
How convenient. It would have been more interesting if a university's computer science department got transposed. :P

Scene, circa 1400 AD, North Africa:

"Ahmed, these new slaves are worthless  :mad:"
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Syt

Besides, anyone from rural West Virginia will probably feel right at home in 17th century Europe, making a fish out of water setting much less effective. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

derspiess

What would suck would to be someone from the 17th century finding himself in current day rural West Virginia.  How depressing would that be??
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall