American Gun Ownership Highest In 18 Years

Started by jimmy olsen, October 27, 2011, 10:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Well how many people were coming to that man's house to take his guns?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 31, 2013, 08:07:06 AM
You should really lighten up on the letter writing parties with your pals, dergunnut.

YOU'VE GOT MAIL
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

11B4V

Welcome aboard Illionois. Up yours Rahm Emanuel

Illinois passes bill to allow concealed firearms; last U.S. state to have such a ban

The Illinois legislature agreed Friday to allow people to carry concealed guns, which if signed into law would make the state the last in the country to allow the public possession of concealed firearms.

The compromise plan by the House and Senate followed a federal appeals ruling that stated Illinois' concealed carry ban is unconstitutional and that the state must change it by June 9.

Gov. Pat Quinn, a Democrat, has not said whether he will sign the legislation into law. However, the bill has enough votes in the legislature to override a gubernatorial veto.

All 50 states allow residents in some form to carry a weapon outside their home.

The appeals court ruling stated the ban violated the U.S. Constitution's Second Amendment right to bear arms.

The legislation hit a roadblock last week when the House approved a bill that in part would have overturned Chicago's ban on assault weapons. However, the chamber passed a revised bill Friday that allows Chicago to keep the assault-weapons ban but requires it to allow residents to carry concealed weapon.

"Lawmakers seeking to protect the basic right to self defense and lawmakers seeking to build a hedge against gun violence in their neighborhoods were forced to develop a plan that benefits the interests of the entire state," Senate President John J. Cullerton, a Democrat, said Friday after his chamber passed the House version of the bill. "As with all controversial pieces of legislation, no one is fully satisfied with the solution. ... Failure to pass this bill would result in unregulated and unsafe communities across the state."

Valinda Rowe, of the group Illinois Carry, told FoxNews.com on Saturday she was "very excited" about the bill's passage.

"Illinois will join the rest of the country," she said. "It's not a perfect law but a great foundation to build on."

Rowe said the best parts of the legislation is that the State Police must issue a permit to anybody who fulfills the requirement that includes paying the $150 registration fee and taking 16 hours of training, which keeps officials from deciding whether an applicant meets a special need for a concealed weapons.

She also praised lawmakers for crafting a bill that is uniformed across the state, which will keep Chicago or other jurisdictions from "carving out" their own laws.

However, Rowe was disappointed that the law doesn't allow residents to carry a loaded firearm on public transportation and that the fees might be cost prohibitive for people in some of the state's poorest neighborhoods, where high crime is often a problem.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/06/01/illinois-passes-bill-to-allow-concealed-firearms-last-us-state-to-have-such-ban/#ixzz2V14jVWNH
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Razgovory

The legislature passed a C&C carry law after it was shot down by the voters in a referendum.  Cause you know, 9/11 changed everything.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

QuoteRowe said the best parts of the legislation is that the State Police must issue a permit to anybody who fulfills the requirement that includes paying the $150 registration fee and taking 16 hours of training, which keeps officials from deciding whether an applicant meets a special need for a concealed weapons.

Yeah, that's the best parts, alright. :rolleyes:

Berkut

It is going to be great seeing the rapid decline in crime in Illinois that comes as a result of the criminals realizing that their victims might be armed, and deciding the risk just isn't worth it.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

CountDeMoney

I think it'll be more fun watching all the cowboy yahoos play police, and I hope the state of Illinois can get in on some of those wrongful death civil suits when the local derspiess decides to intercede in a convenience store robbery and winds up plugging the cashier by accident.

11B4V

Picking up a SIG P250 357SIG/40 S&W on wednesday. 100 rds of 357 SIG and 200 rds of .40 come with it.  :showoff:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 02, 2013, 01:49:47 PM
I think it'll be more fun watching all the cowboy yahoos play police, and I hope the state of Illinois can get in on some of those wrongful death civil suits when the local derspiess decides to intercede in a convenience store robbery and winds up plugging the cashier by accident.

Mostly what I've noticed is every shop in town puts up a sign that says "No guns".  Very few people actually carry fire arms on their person.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

merithyn

One of my biggest irrational fears is gunfire in the workplace. I know exactly what I will do if I ever hear a gunshot in my office; my plan was created on Day One of the job. Yes, I recognize that the chances are more likely that I'll get shot by an arrow in a snowy field at sunset in Alaska in June, hence the term "irrational".

This new concealed carry thing has just ramped up that fear. I work with a lot - and I do mean a LOT - of white trash from the country. Many of them have restraining orders on at least one, sometimes two, exboyfriends/husbands at any given time. It's now just a matter of time... :ph34r:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 02, 2013, 01:49:47 PM

:rolleyes:  I don't carry. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

HVC

25 shot in NY over the weekend. Summers officially started.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

11B4V