American Gun Ownership Highest In 18 Years

Started by jimmy olsen, October 27, 2011, 10:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: AnchorClanker on May 14, 2013, 10:25:25 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on May 14, 2013, 10:18:11 AM
Only dropped once
:lol:  Near as I can tell, it was in pretty good shape.  We got it from a friend of the family, a WWII vet who left his gun collection to my grandpa when he passed away - now that Dad is custodian of the 'arsenal' - he's been on a kick to send EVERYTHING to the gunsmith and have it all safe to fire.  He's afraid of passing along unsafe guns to anybody, and I concur.  However, it's a bit annoying that he won't let me chip in with this - he's taken it on as 'his' project and won't take any $$$ from me or by Bro-in-law.   :mad:

I bought some headspace gauges to check for myself (other than the headspace, you can more or less eyeball everything).  The only problems I've ever run into were with Mausers.  They were built to fairly tight tolerances and when bolts got switched around at the armory or depot when they were captured you had mismatched bolts.

All the Mosin-Nagants I've owned through the years have passed headspace checks (will close on go, won't close on no-go) with flying colors.

I've never shot a Carcano-- they looks like fun little rifles to shoot.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

I just bought a couple guns on my phone.  They should be delivered to my house by Thursday :whatacountry:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Did you order a drum magazine for the little one's Crickett?

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: 11B4V on May 18, 2013, 12:53:25 AM
"Intelligent" Rifle Makes A Perfect Shot EVERYTIME

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xme3OS01yqk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5Gwq5KIE8s

Huh.  That's interesting.  I wonder if you can "tag" multiple targets, then basically just swing the rifle across them while holding down the trigger and letting it fire for you when it is supposed to.  I guess it would require at least a semi-auto, but :blink: if possible.

11B4V

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on May 18, 2013, 01:19:01 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on May 18, 2013, 12:53:25 AM
"Intelligent" Rifle Makes A Perfect Shot EVERYTIME

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xme3OS01yqk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5Gwq5KIE8s

Huh.  That's interesting.  I wonder if you can "tag" multiple targets, then basically just swing the rifle across them while holding down the trigger and letting it fire for you when it is supposed to.  I guess it would require at least a semi-auto, but :blink: if possible.

I'm still like  :huh: on this thing. I see no application for this outside the military or police right now. I would also bet, that this is already being tested by the military. No proof, just hunch.

It does allow, with a fraction of the training of normal snipers, an unprecedented first round hit capability out 1000-1200meters or so. However this range will most likely extend with follow on models.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: 11B4V on May 18, 2013, 01:51:46 AM
I'm still like  :huh: on this thing. I see no application for this outside the military or police right now. I would also bet, that this is already being tested by the military. No proof, just hunch.

It does allow, with a fraction of the training of normal snipers, an unprecedented first round hit capability out 1000-1200meters or so. However this range will most likely extend with follow on models.

Oh there's no real use for it outside of military or police that I can think of.  I guess if you're an asshole, you can go hunting with it, but what else is there?  Some sort of range hero?  That would get old fast, right?

11B4V

Yes it would get boring at least to me, but I'm not a nut.

The caliber of the rifle this system is mounted on is .338 Lapua. That being said, a trained sniper has already taken out a target at over 2400 meters with is caliber on a normal sniper system (5-25 power scope).  Mount this to a high quality Barrett or Mcmillan .50 BMG caliber rifle, and well, not to hard to figure that out. 

11B4V

Not anymore; now we can do both! According to the military, a sniper takes years to train and perfect. Now, watch out! Here comes Tracking point! We can train any knob to take a 1000 meter target out in six minutes!

Sorry had to.

CountDeMoney

Completely inappropriate Star Trek reference pic.  That's a canon violation for you.

Syt

At the very least get the uniform right for the quote.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

I can't really see any uses for this gun beyond the military and the police.

By golly!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 18, 2013, 06:23:34 AM
Completely inappropriate Star Trek reference pic.  That's a canon violation for you.

:lol: We notice the uniform violation.

Not that there's a system that would allow even Raz to place a shot accurately @ 1000m. THAT doesnt matter. :P

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: garbon on May 18, 2013, 08:36:15 AM
I can't really see any uses for this gun beyond the military and the police.

By golly!

The gun itself is fine for all sorts of things.  The crazy tracking system that makes perfect shots every time, not so much.

derspiess

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on May 18, 2013, 01:55:33 AM
I guess if you're an asshole, you can go hunting with it, but what else is there?

I don't think you'd be an asshole if you're trying to get the most accurate, humane kill possible.

Anyway I don't see this replacing trained snipers. It looks like it automates just a couple aspects of shooting.