American Gun Ownership Highest In 18 Years

Started by jimmy olsen, October 27, 2011, 10:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

Quote from: Caliga on May 01, 2013, 08:01:51 PM
Did you guys know the guy who owns the kiddie rifle company owns some other kid toy companies too?

Here's an interview: http://www.hulu.com/watch/115713 :cool:

A young Candy..... :perv: Fuck she was badass back in the day.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on May 01, 2013, 07:58:17 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 01, 2013, 07:54:12 PM
Quote from: derspiess on May 01, 2013, 07:50:40 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 01, 2013, 07:41:25 PM
Quote from: derspiess on May 01, 2013, 07:38:42 PM
I have to be willing to give up some of my gun rights in hopes of appearing reasonable to gun control advocates?  Which ones?

Filing background check paperwork before you purchase a weapon out of the trunk of somebody's car at the 18th Annual Hootenanny & Hee Haw Gunnapalooza.

In practice that would not inconvenience me very much. But on principle I don't like the idea of me not being allowed to sell my own personal property without the government's approval.

Ergo why nitwits like you do not appear reasonable after all.

I just want to be left alone :mellow:

Yes, the regular Republican battle cry.  I just want to be left alone.  But it's okay if the police pull over brown people to make sure their papers are in order.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on May 01, 2013, 08:06:56 PM
Quote from: derspiess on May 01, 2013, 07:58:17 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 01, 2013, 07:54:12 PM
Quote from: derspiess on May 01, 2013, 07:50:40 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 01, 2013, 07:41:25 PM
I have to be willing to give up some of my gun rights in hopes of appearing reasonable to gun control advocates?  Which ones?

Filing background check paperwork before you purchase a weapon out of the trunk of somebody's car at the 18th Annual Hootenanny & Hee Haw Gunnapalooza.

In practice that would not inconvenience me very much. But on principle I don't like the idea of me not being allowed to sell my own personal property without the government's approval.

Ergo why nitwits like you do not appear reasonable after all.

I just want to be left alone :mellow:

Yes, the regular Republican battle cry.  I just want to be left alone.  But it's okay if the police pull over brown people to make sure their papers are in order.

Ther you go again with the GOP bashing. Like clockwork. :P
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 01, 2013, 08:01:23 PM
You don't bat an eye when you've got to get your car inspected before you sell it.  It's selling your personal property with the government's approval.

:huh:  I've never had to do that.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on May 01, 2013, 08:06:56 PM

Hi, Raz.

Cardinals won today-- took the series vs. the Reds :)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on May 01, 2013, 08:11:57 PM
You don't bat an eye when you've got to get your car inspected before you sell it.  It's selling your personal property with the government's approval.

Not surprising, the backwaters you've lived in.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 01, 2013, 08:18:14 PM
Quote from: derspiess on May 01, 2013, 08:11:57 PM

Not surprising, the backwaters you've lived in.

:lol:

Where is it required, other than MD of course.

derspiess

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on May 01, 2013, 06:09:53 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 01, 2013, 05:12:02 PM
I am so happy there is a guarded border between us.

I'm so happy you turn into a blubbering vagina every time the subject of guns comes up.  Pretty amusing :)

You make it sounds like you want to have sex with him.

Malthus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 01, 2013, 06:58:32 PM
If the opening bid from the gunowners in that debate is go screw yourself I can do whatever the hell I want - that isn't going to be perceived by those with more restrictive inclinations as reasonable.  In fact, it's going to lead those people to conclude that they are dealing with deranged people and the only safe option is draconian regulation.

I don't think those with more restrictive inclinations aren't going to find pro-gun types reasonable in any case.  We've already been so caricatured by that side that there's no going back.

In this particular case, we aren't even talking about "your" gun rights at all. We are talking about the absurdity of marketing a product in a manner that in inherently unsafe - guns made presumably for "youths" deliberately marketed for and sold to children too young to be capable of using them responsibly. I'd have thought those who cared about responsible gun use would be the first to condemn that.

It would be absurd for any other product not as politicized as guns but also inherently dangerous - absurd for auto manufacturers, absurd for fireworks manufacturers, absurd for makers of machine tools. If you made "junior's first table saw set" in hot pink and showed a 4 year old happily operating it in your "testimonials", would anyone believe that was in any sense OK or be at all surprised when "junior" sawed a few fingers off? Or think "oh well, it is never too early to learn machine shop safety tips, so the risk of a few of junior's fingers is acceptable"? Or say "well, it is all the parent's fault, shoulda supervised her more closely?" The latter is of course partly true - but there is simply no amount of "supervision" that can guarantee that a 5 year old using a tablesaw isn't going to risk a few fingers (other than keeping them far away from it), so any parent buying the product is by definition a dumbass. The difference of course is that guns are just as likely to kill or maim *someone else* if used improperly, as happened in this case. The marketer of the product should bear some of the blame for deliberately encouraging dangerous behaviour by dumbasses. It is in society's interests that dumbassery be prevented from harming innocents; there are whole rafts of regulations designed to prevent much less obnoxious dumbassery than this - like warning signs on film bags that they aren't to be given to very young children as toys. 

You don't have to be "anti-machine-tool" to see that these things are not children's toys and have to be treated with a certain amount of respect. On the contrary. The grizzled veteran tool user, who has almost certainly seen horrific accidents in his or her time caused by a moment's inattention when using these tools, would you would think be the first to say that it isn't okay to have 5 year olds using them.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on May 02, 2013, 08:23:30 AM
"A grizzled veteran tool user" :hmm:

Would that be a "silver fox" or a "bear" in terms you are familiar with?  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

Quote from: Malthus on May 02, 2013, 08:15:25 AM
In this particular case, we aren't even talking about "your" gun rights at all.

Minsky & I were talking about the larger issue of gun rights & restrictions.

QuoteWe are talking about the absurdity of marketing a product in a manner that in inherently unsafe - guns made presumably for "youths" deliberately marketed for and sold to children too young to be capable of using them responsibly. I'd have thought those who cared about responsible gun use would be the first to condemn that.

Maybe I'm nitpicking, but can we stop saying these are marketed to and sold to children?  They are made for children, but marketed to and sold to adults.

QuoteIt would be absurd for any other product not as politicized as guns but also inherently dangerous - absurd for auto manufacturers, absurd for fireworks manufacturers, absurd for makers of machine tools. If you made "junior's first table saw set" in hot pink and showed a 4 year old happily operating it in your "testimonials", would anyone believe that was in any sense OK or be at all surprised when "junior" sawed a few fingers off? Or think "oh well, it is never too early to learn machine shop safety tips, so the risk of a few of junior's fingers is acceptable"? Or say "well, it is all the parent's fault, shoulda supervised her more closely?" The latter is of course partly true - but there is simply no amount of "supervision" that can guarantee that a 5 year old using a tablesaw isn't going to risk a few fingers (other than keeping them far away from it), so any parent buying the product is by definition a dumbass. The difference of course is that guns are just as likely to kill or maim *someone else* if used improperly, as happened in this case. The marketer of the product should bear some of the blame for deliberately encouraging dangerous behaviour by dumbasses. It is in society's interests that dumbassery be prevented from harming innocents; there are whole rafts of regulations designed to prevent much less obnoxious dumbassery than this - like warning signs on film bags that they aren't to be given to very young children as toys. 

You don't have to be "anti-machine-tool" to see that these things are not children's toys and have to be treated with a certain amount of respect. On the contrary. The grizzled veteran tool user, who has almost certainly seen horrific accidents in his or her time caused by a moment's inattention when using these tools, would you would think be the first to say that it isn't okay to have 5 year olds using them.

I've said that I think 5 years old is too young an age for shooting firearms.  What else do you want me to say?