American Gun Ownership Highest In 18 Years

Started by jimmy olsen, October 27, 2011, 10:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

And get one with a cool name like 'breacher'.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Neil

I agree with using the 18" barrel for home defence.  The 18" Mark I was a fine weapon.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

katmai

WTF does Caliga need a shotgun to defend his home from? Rabid squirrels?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Caliga on November 28, 2012, 07:39:04 PM
So Princesca told me that instead of us buying each other gifts for Christmas I can buy a shotgun instead.  Yes, I have the greatest wife ever. :showoff:

I need shotgun buying advice PLZ.  What gauge should I buy, what brands should I look at, etc.

I may want to shoot wildlife with this gun, if that makes a big difference. :)
Make sure you have stopping power

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4_bore
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Quote from: katmai on November 28, 2012, 11:00:42 PM
Presumably blacks and meth-heads.  It seems that the US is riddled with them.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: katmai on November 28, 2012, 11:00:42 PM

Because accidental discharges from his Glock simply aren't exciting enough.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 28, 2012, 10:01:50 PM
12 gauge Mossberg is an excellent shotgun for the price, and can't go wrong with a Remington 870.  870s rack louder IMO, and whoever it is on the other side of that door in the middle of the night will immediately recognize it.
Bennellis are overpriced.

Mine is the Remington Magnum Wingmaster 870, and yeah that thing is loud when you move the action. It's from 1965 according to the serial lookup and has no noise or recoil suppression of any kind.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

derspiess

I don't own a shotgun, but I agree with those who say you should get separate guns for home defense and for huntin'. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

I worry that a gun for me for home defense would be a bigger danger than security.  I have no training on using a gun under pressure like that and worse I tend to shake when nervous.  I bet all I would achieve would be arming the person breaking in.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on November 30, 2012, 05:09:19 PM
I worry that a gun for me for home defense would be a bigger danger than security.  I have no training on using a gun under pressure like that and worse I tend to shake when nervous.  I bet all I would achieve would be arming the person breaking in.

It's not the right thing for everybody.  But I think if you spend enough time at the range you'll be comfortable enough to develop some confidence.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: derspiess on November 30, 2012, 05:42:31 PM

It's not the right thing for everybody.  But I think if you spend enough time at the range you'll be comfortable enough to develop some confidence.

They teach you that stuff in CCW class too. How not to have your gun taken from you, etc.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

mongers

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 30, 2012, 06:05:19 PM
Quote from: derspiess on November 30, 2012, 05:42:31 PM

They teach you that stuff in CCW class too. How not to have your gun taken from you, etc.

I'm glad I don't have to consider any of this stuff.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 30, 2012, 06:05:19 PM

Mmmm, yeah.

Caliga

Not in Kentucky they don't. :D

Here's what you do in the Kentucky class: watch a four hour video which consists of a collection of bureaucrats reading you the Kentucky statutes related to firearms, take a written test on said video, and take a range qualification test wherein you must get 11 of 20 shots on a paper target at 7 yards (anywhere on the target at all counts  :lol: )
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points