China forces name changes on people with unusual names.

Started by Syt, April 26, 2009, 06:53:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

Quote from: Syt on April 26, 2009, 09:12:44 AM
I'm actually surprised you can name your boy "Sundance" in Germany. :unsure:
I am more surprised about "Frieden Mit Gott Allein Durch Jesus Christus" as a male first name.  :blink:

Syt

Quote from: Zanza2 on April 26, 2009, 10:13:08 AM
Quote from: Syt on April 26, 2009, 09:12:44 AM
I'm actually surprised you can name your boy "Sundance" in Germany. :unsure:
I am more surprised about "Frieden Mit Gott Allein Durch Jesus Christus" as a male first name.  :blink:

The explanation says that it was chosen and registered somewhere else which is why the courts had to accept it.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Syt on April 26, 2009, 09:11:44 AM
It also keeps the courts in bread and butter. :P

You have some examples of court decisions here:
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vornamen#Deutschland
The first table is names that the courts accepted. The second table are names that are acceptable if an additional name is chosen that clearly defines the gender of the child. The third table lists rejected names (e.g. Rosa or Christin for a boy, Beauregard, Moon Unit, Mechipchamueh ...)
:lol: I thought my teacher was joking about the Moon Unit example; didn't realize it was that commonly used. Incidentally, why would Beauregard be rejected? I've known a couple of Beauregards (although each went by Bo), and the name didn't seem that absurd to me.
Experience bij!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: DontSayBanana on April 26, 2009, 10:50:55 AM

The first table is names that the courts accepted. The second table are names that are acceptable if an additional name is chosen that clearly defines the gender of the child. The third table lists rejected names (e.g. Rosa or Christin for a boy, Beauregard, Moon Unit, Mechipchamueh ...)
:lol: I thought my teacher was joking about the Moon Unit example; didn't realize it was that commonly used. Incidentally, why would Beauregard be rejected? I've known a couple of Beauregards (although each went by Bo), and the name didn't seem that absurd to me.

Frank Zappa named his kid Moon Unit. If it's taken off you can give him(and the mother) 99% of the blame for that.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

PDH

Quote from: Norgy on April 26, 2009, 09:39:49 AM
I am all for purging people with unusal names.

Xenon Persepolis Bongwater Mooseditch-Afrococteautwin Smythe.
I think that is right.  Of course, there should only be one me, but all the others have no need of differentiation.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Martim Silva

Quote from: Syt on April 26, 2009, 06:53:04 AM
I'm torn. On one hand I can see how having 15% of your population named "John Smith" can be a problem. On the other ahnd you don't want everyone to go Le-A (LeeDASHa) or J'vonte' or Ja'breic.

We here in Portugal have a similar thing: the government created a list of "national" names, and when your kid is born, he/she must have a name that is included on the list. If it isn't, you can't name him/her that.

(and partially because some maternities are less strict about this, there are about 20,000 people in the country that officially 'do not exist' because they have weird names)  :tinfoil:

On the opposite side of the spectrum we have Brazil, where anything goes. As a result, there are people who were named after their title in the soccer World Cup.

Or worse, like Oto Masturbando de Oliveira [yes, it does mean 'masturbating'. And I'm not making this up].

Another were five brothers: Estrosner, Estlayne, Heristart Ener, Elistrasner and Hetierlen Rabelche.  :tinfoil: :tinfoil: :tinfoil:

Quote from: DontSayBanana
Generally, the idea is to avoid major problems for the kids in the future (similar for giving too many first names).

How do nobles get around that? IIRC, they love to have six mile long names - it's part of their heritage.

Josquius

We here in Portugal have a similar thing: the government created a list of "national" names, and when your kid is born, he/she must have a name that is included on the list. If it isn't, you can't name him/her that.

(and partially because some maternities are less strict about this, there are about 20,000 people in the country that officially 'do not exist' because they have weird names)  :tinfoil:
[/quote]

What about immigrants? (yes, even in Portugal :p)
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

Quote from: DontSayBanana on April 26, 2009, 10:50:55 AM

Yeah Beauregard doesn't seem totally off the wall.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga

Beauregard is a great name. REMEMBER FIRST MANASSAS  :mad:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

Hey, great idea.  If I ever get a dog I was gonna make him wear a Stars and Bars bandana anyway.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points