Main Menu

Perry Proposes a Flat Tax

Started by Faeelin, October 25, 2011, 11:53:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 30, 2011, 07:11:22 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 30, 2011, 06:57:23 PM
What is it you are buying into here?

I'm buying into the proposition that businesses provide goods and services to consumers in exchange for money.  And that if people are unhappy with the prices offered they are free to take their business elsewhere or to forego that good or service.

What about the Union leader and community activist rant?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

Quote from: Razgovory on October 30, 2011, 07:29:06 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 30, 2011, 06:57:23 PM
What is it you are buying into here?
I'm buying into the proposition that businesses provide goods and services to consumers in exchange for money.  And that if people are unhappy with the prices offered they are free to take their business elsewhere or to forego that good or service.
A good point.  A free marketeer should have no problem with union leaders.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on October 30, 2011, 07:29:06 PM

I don't follow.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Neil on October 30, 2011, 07:30:29 PM

I have no problem with union leaders who are not backed up by the power of the state to close the shop.

Neil

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 30, 2011, 07:35:20 PM
Quote from: Neil on October 30, 2011, 07:30:29 PM
I have no problem with union leaders who are not backed up by the power of the state to close the shop.
Wouldn't you say that's a good compromise though?  After all, the other option is the October Revolution.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

fhdz

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 30, 2011, 07:35:20 PM

Closed-shop unions are illegal in the US since Taft-Hartley. Do you mean something else? Like shops that aren't technically closed but are de facto closed?
and the horse you rode in on

grumbler

Quote from: fahdiz on October 30, 2011, 06:19:33 PM
You have just articulated - unwittingly, apparently - why the argument I gave could be true, not why it would be untrue.
If it was articulate, and from Marti, it was unwitting.  :lol:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: fahdiz on October 30, 2011, 11:41:22 PM
Closed-shop unions are illegal in the US since Taft-Hartley. Do you mean something else? Like shops that aren't technically closed but are de facto closed?
Those wouldn't be backed by the power of the state, would they?

The problem with unions isn't unions, it is the beggar-they-neighbor mentality that labor leaders and corporate officers (or public officials, in the case of public unions) seem to adopt so often when unions are formed.  You'd seldom guess from their rhetoric that the purpose of both unions and corporations/government is to maximize the benefits received by their stakeholders.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Monoriu

Actually, HK does offer an option similar to what the opening post describes.  Either a tiered system with deductions, or a flat 15% tax with no deductions at all.  But here, there are only a few deduction items anyway.  Also, the tax department will automatically apply the tax rate that is most advantageous to you. 

Sheilbh

Quote from: fahdiz on October 30, 2011, 11:41:22 PMClosed-shop unions are illegal in the US since Taft-Hartley. Do you mean something else? Like shops that aren't technically closed but are de facto closed?/quote]
Really?  From the posts here I'd always assumed there were still closed shop unions in the US.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Neil on October 30, 2011, 07:21:15 PM
Quote from: fahdiz on October 30, 2011, 07:14:40 PM
Why were BoA and Chase customers arrested for attempting to move their money to credit unions a few days ago, then?
Because they were trying to block the entrance of the bank and cause mischief.  If they hadn't been trying to cause a scene for the press, they would have been able to go about their business.

They were members of the Occupy movement, and thus enemies of all mankind.

Yeah that was a rather weak example, fahdiz.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Quote from: Monoriu on October 31, 2011, 06:01:00 AM
Actually, HK does offer an option similar to what the opening post describes.  Either a tiered system with deductions, or a flat 15% tax with no deductions at all.  But here, there are only a few deduction items anyway.  Also, the tax department will automatically apply the tax rate that is most advantageous to you.

Great, but I don't think Communism is the answer.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

fhdz

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 31, 2011, 09:29:04 AM
Really?  From the posts here I'd always assumed there were still closed shop unions in the US.

Nope. Not since 1947.
and the horse you rode in on

The Minsky Moment

Talking about philosophy and fairness with respect to calibrating tax rates on income strata is IMO a fool's errand.  For one thing it begs the question why income is the appropriate category to be taxing in the first place - as opposed to say wealth or consumption, or "social contribution" however measured.  Where I do think "fairness" comes into play is when the decision is made to tax income, but then different kinds of income streams are treated fundamentally differently, whether out of some misguided policy rationale ("boost savings") or because the privileged stream has a strong lobby behind it.  This is a big part of Buffet's critique of the code's treatment of cap gains, "carried interest" and the like.

With respect to the progressive rate structure specifically, it is interesting note that during the two world wars, the marginal rates on the top brackets hit very high levels, which I suppose indicates that when the chips are down, placing heavy tax burdens on the more wealthy strata is deemed an acceptable social outcome.  Whether that should apply to more permanent peacetime situation is another question, IMO historically the progessivity of the rate structure in the US is pretty flat right now and it doesn't seem unreasonable to steepen it out a little.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson