News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

VPNs

Started by HisMajestyBOB, October 25, 2011, 11:44:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HisMajestyBOB

Before I go to China I'm planning to get a VPN service so I can access youtube, etc.
After doing a bit of searching, Witopia looks pretty good. It offers both OpenVPN (for my computer) and PPTP (for my phone) in one package, and is cheaper than other services.

Anyone have any experience with them, or can recommend another service?
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Liep

I'm using StrongVPN, works nice and I can switch between UK and US ip adresses.

EDIT: It should have open and PPTP as well.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

HisMajestyBOB

I went with WiTopia, since it seemed to meet my needs and is cheaper than StrongVPN. Apparently some people have trouble with it getting blocked in China (same for StrongVPN), but I suspect their either using PPTP and not OpenVPN, or they're not trying several servers if one doesn't work.

Well, hopefully it'll work!
It has a 30 day money-back guarantee, so if it's not working once I get there and get internet, I can cancel and try Strong. Assuming I can find a proxy that isn't blocked.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Josquius

How are paid ones? Do they slow you down much?
I've a free UK one but it is unreliable with iplayer, stuff loads way too slow.
██████
██████
██████

Liep

I get about 20mbit down and 5mbit up on StrongVPN, and it's about 40/30 regularly.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk