News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

New Reboot of Battlestar Galactica

Started by jimmy olsen, October 23, 2011, 12:50:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

I've always wanted to see a Ringworld movie, but I'm afraid that it wouldn't be very good.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Siege

I hate movies.

They should be prohibited, and the monies thus saved used to feed the poor.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 23, 2011, 06:28:32 PM
Quote from: grumbler on October 23, 2011, 03:38:55 PM
or do the first few stories n the Honor Harrington series (since there is no way the series could last into the drier late books, whether as movies or TV).

I'd like to jam a dead cat up David Weber's fat ass.

His Safehold series (aka Off Armageddon Reef + sequels) was cliched and disappointing.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Siege

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on October 23, 2011, 08:46:17 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on October 23, 2011, 06:28:32 PM
Quote from: grumbler on October 23, 2011, 03:38:55 PM
or do the first few stories n the Honor Harrington series (since there is no way the series could last into the drier late books, whether as movies or TV).

I'd like to jam a dead cat up David Weber's fat ass.

His Safehold series (aka Off Armageddon Reef + sequels) was cliched and disappointing.

I actually enjoyed the first 3 books in the series.
Now too many fuckers know the secret.

Siege

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

grumbler

It is like all his series (and most series, for that matter); started off well, but lost steam and became self-indulgent.

I think he kept going in the Harrington series because it was one of his first (the very first, something about the moon, wasn't very good from the start, but lots of writers start slow).

I think the first five or so Harrington books are quite good, for the genre, and they'd make good movies.

Not as good as The Mote in God's Eye, though.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Siege

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: grumbler on October 23, 2011, 09:06:09 PM
It is like all his series (and most series, for that matter); started off well, but lost steam and became self-indulgent.

I think he kept going in the Harrington series because it was one of his first (the very first, something about the moon, wasn't very good from the start, but lots of writers start slow).

I think the first five or so Harrington books are quite good, for the genre, and they'd make good movies.

His latest book about the alien invasion was a pile of shit. Vampires?!!?! Dracula?! WTF

The Mote was a good book, but would it wokr without the back story about Sparta and such? Even without getting into Warworld.
PDH!

grumbler

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on October 23, 2011, 09:19:48 PM
His latest book about the alien invasion was a pile of shit. Vampires?!!?! Dracula?! WTF

The Mote was a good book, but would it wokr without the back story about Sparta and such? Even without getting into Warworld.
I didn't read the earlier books in Purnelle's universe (I find Pournelle on his own unreadable) and didn't have any trouble.  A few lines of dialogue would make it all clear enough, I think.

Weber has had many WTF moments for me; I'll avoid the one you mention.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: grumbler on October 23, 2011, 09:06:09 PM

I liked the series about the moon.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on October 23, 2011, 09:19:48 PM

My dad mentioned that he was reading a book that sounds like that.  Sounded like a farce.

I read Mote without any of the backstory.  I didn't even know there were books prior to it.  The impression I got was that it was post WWII in space without so much cold war.

Darth Wagtaros

It would make for a cool movie, but in this political climate I see it being a CGI extravaganza about human militarists fucking over sympathetic aliens.
PDH!