News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

US threatens to intervene in Swat

Started by jimmy olsen, April 25, 2009, 05:13:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Sheilbh, how credible is this gentleman? Is the government really panicking behind the scenes?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2009/apr/26/pakistan-taliban-nick-cohen
Will we need to close the door to Pakistan's dispossessed?

Our leaders are losing sleep over the Taliban's advance and what that could spell for Britain

* Nick Cohen

I would like to welcome Zahid Abdullah to Britain. He is a Pakistani student of English literature, rather than the snarling prose of the theocrats who threaten his country, and suffered the keenest blow a lover of books can take when he lost his sight. Undeterred, Abdullah divided his spare time between producing talking books for the blind and supporting the Centre for Peace and Development Initiatives, a pressure group that campaigns for the classic liberal causes of human rights, freedom of information and freedom from "barbaric acts of terrorism".

He applied for a visa to visit disabled groups here and for no reason anyone can comprehend, the authorities turned him down.

The voice of Murtaza Ali Shah, London correspondent of Pakistan's Daily Jang, is incredulous when he asks how his friend could be a threat. It turns astringent when he moves on to the arrest of the Pakistani "terror suspects".

Shah was flabbergasted that politicians and the media could accuse them of planning mass murder when there was not the evidence to convict them or to bring them to court or even to charge them. That Britain will now deport the students, as if they were somehow guilty anyway, emphasises the precariousness of his own life.

To Shah, and other recent Pakistani immigrants, the arrests change the way they feel about Britain, makes them think they are becoming enemy aliens in their adopted country. The Daily Jang is a progressive paper and Shah has no time for Islamism, but he told his readers that "the scare of a terror attack is such a phenomenon in Britain that even a cracker on the street corner could go on to become headlines".

I did not have the heart to tell him that the paranoia will deepen as British politicians struggled to come to terms with a Pakistani civil war.

I do not know if the crisis is making a few of the sophisticates who used to jiggle their fingers and put postmodern quotation marks around the so-called war on terror think again. I know for a fact, however, that fear has been spreading through Whitehall ever since Pakistan paid its version of Danegeld and allowed the Taliban to tyrannise the 1.7m citizens of the Swat Valley in return for illusory promises of peace.

The government knows that the fates of Pakistan and Britain are entwined. If Hillary Clinton is proved right when she said that "by abdicating to the Taliban and the extremists" the Pakistani elite fuelled an "existential threat" to its own state, then the consequences for Britain will be extraordinary and not merely because of the effects on the Pakistani diaspora in British cities.

Most people understand that the danger of terrorist atrocities will rise as Islamists establish new training camps for jihadis from Britain and Pakistan. Politicians are as worried about waves of refugees from a civil war.

Of the figures I spoke to, only the former foreign minister Denis MacShane rejected hopelessness. As always, he was fizzing with social democratic responses to the crisis. We should end the use of "Af-Pak" to describe the war against Islamism in south Asia. Not only is it an ugly and faintly racist - would we call tensions between China and Japan "Chink-Jap?" - but it misses the true nature of a triangular conflict. The Pakistani elite is obsessed with the threat from India not Islamism. We should therefore put pressure on India to temper its hostile stance and give Pakistan the time to confront the internal menace. While we're at it, we should redirect the aid budget so it funded schools, particularly girls' schools, in Muslim countries and tackle the power bases of the religious far right in British universities so that moderate Pakistanis were not radicalised here.

On he went and I agreed with every word. Tellingly, though, he was the only senior figure who would speak on the record. Off the record, others concluded it was a little late to be building schools or making probably futile attempts to lessen Indo-Pakistani tensions.

One senior figure involved with terrorism strategy put it like this: "If Pakistan continues to descend into chaos, movement between our countries will slow extraordinarily quickly. There will be queues of tens of thousands waiting for visas. SIS [that's MI6] will stop trusting the information they get from the Pakistani intelligence services and we will not clear people for visits."

As most visitors from Pakistan are relatives seeing their families, the effect of a clampdown on everyday life for British Pakistanis would be severe, but it would be as nothing in comparison to the draconian system awaiting refugees. Without me attempting to put words in his mouth or asking a leading question, one influential figure began to muse on the possibility of closing the borders.

Women, Christians, Sufi Muslims and democrats are already fleeing the advancing Taliban. If war drives them to think of seeking asylum here, the government is considering the introduction of a discriminatory visa system to stop them reaching Heathrow. "We would have to amend the Race Relations Act and possibly opt out of the Human Rights Act if we wanted a special visa system that applied only to Pakistan but not other countries," said my source, who gave every impression he was considering doing both.

I thought it outrageous to contemplate stopping, say, a Pakistani women's rights campaigner from finding sanctuary from the most murderous misogynists on Earth and I am sure a part of him did too. I wondered what the Zahid Abdullahs and the Murtaza Ali Shahs would make of repression. He did not know the answer to that either.

All he knew was that Britain could not cope with either Swat-trained terrorists or hundreds of thousands of refugees. "Pakistan is what is keeping me awake at night," he said with a voice close to despair.
He is not alone in that.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Sheilbh

Nick Cohen's like a British Chris Hitchens.  But I'd take what he's saying with a pinch of salt.  He's an opinion columnist not a political journalist so I don't think he's got many sources.  As a columnist he's not one that's known for having great sources in the government (like, say, Andrew Rawnsley).

It all sounds plausible though.
Let's bomb Russia!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 26, 2009, 12:42:15 PM
Nick Cohen's like a British Chris Hitchens.
Isn't Hitchens British?  :huh:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Sheilbh

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 26, 2009, 12:45:52 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on April 26, 2009, 12:42:15 PM
Nick Cohen's like a British Chris Hitchens.
Isn't Hitchens British?  :huh:
Yeah.  Maybe saying like a Westminster Hitchens would be better :blush:
Let's bomb Russia!

Neil

Quote from: Iormlund on April 26, 2009, 12:20:06 PM
Quote from: Neil on April 26, 2009, 11:32:44 AM
Wouldn't the best solution be to convince India to go for reunification?

That would be like asking Spain to take charge of the mess that is Latinamerica. Why would India want to do that?
Given that Latin America isn't really much worse off than Spain, that probably wouldn't be very helpful.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Iormlund on April 26, 2009, 12:20:06 PM
Quote from: Neil on April 26, 2009, 11:32:44 AM
Wouldn't the best solution be to convince India to go for reunification?

That would be like asking Spain to take charge of the mess that is Latinamerica. Why would India want to do that?
Because Islamic nutjobs with nuclear weapons would be an existential threat to India.

1 Karma Chameleon point

DGuller

The scariest thing about it is that this flu is most dangerous to those of ages 20-40, just like the Spanish flu.

Syt

Quote from: DGuller on April 26, 2009, 01:21:07 PM
The scariest thing about it is that this flu is most dangerous to those of ages 20-40, just like the Spanish flu.

Wrong thread?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Neil

Has it come up against a real, first-rate health care system yet?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Kleves

Quote from: Syt on April 26, 2009, 01:25:13 PMWrong thread?
No; "this flu" is Islamism, and the "Spanish flu" is Communism. Both strains mostly infect those in the 20-40 range.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

DGuller

Quote from: Syt on April 26, 2009, 01:25:13 PM

Wrong thread?
I hope confusion is not one of the symptoms. :unsure:

Siege

Quote from: Alcibiades on April 26, 2009, 12:15:52 PM

You didn't hear about it?
It seems that our guys in Eastern Afghanistan were too slow to react.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

jimmy olsen

:bleeding: Fucking conspiracy theories.

http://www.foreignaffairs.com/discussions/roundtables/whats-the-problem-with-pakistan
QuoteThere appears to be a pervasive belief in the army, among both mid-level and senior officers, that the United States and India are destabilizing FATA [Federally Administered Tribal Areas] and the rest of the country as a prelude to depriving Pakistan of its nuclear weapons. Officers who have served in FATA have told me that they face a U.S.-Indian combined offensive and that the local Taliban receive their funds from across the border. The army might inculcate such beliefs in order to motivate its soldiers, but they also connect to the military's larger worldview. For the generals, the U.S.-Indian nuclear deal is proof of an evolving Indo-U.S., or even Indo-U.S.-Israeli, strategic alliance -- not to mention American duplicity.   

1 Karma Chameleon point

Siege

All muslims are devoted conspiracy-theories believers.

Its like their second religion, if I may say so.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 26, 2009, 12:11:54 PM
That's exactly my point.  We get the Taliban who are, in effect Pushtun nationalists, to come to our side.  Basically we support land reform in Pakistan and let them do what they want in the tribal regions, while we help rebuild a Pakistani state, while encouraging them to come into the Afghan political society.  We get those, who I believe can be (and probably have to be) accomodated within Afghanistan and Pakistan, to turn on those who want to turn their movement into a global revolution.  I think we can separate the xenophobic, bread and butter Taliban from those who are al-Qaeda supporting Islamic Trotskyists.  I think it would be similar to what happened in Iraq. 

The Sunnis didn't like the Americans but they, ultimately, came to realise that the Americans didn't want a Shia dominated state and that their own tribes were being hurt by hosting al-Qaeda in Iraq fighters and so on.

In sane terms, you're absolutely right. However, the combination of fundamentalism, extremism, and xenophobia makes them far more receptive to communication from the Afghan Taliban than to us. The Taliban's proclivity for martyrdom also makes it difficult for us to combat the Afghan sect's insurgency on an ideological basis- highlighting their own physical struggles in this world is just as apt to set them speeding on their way to the glorious afterlife, and why not take out a few infidels in the process?
Experience bij!