News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ashley and Mary-Kate’s younger sister

Started by Siege, October 21, 2011, 05:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siege

Elizabeth Olsen: Sister Number Three Rises to the Top

Read more: http://entertainment.time.com/2011/10/21/elizabeth-olsen-sister-number-three-rises-to-the-top/#ixzz1bSRGaYfi

Review: Elizabeth Olsen makes a name for herself in 'Martha Marcy May Marlene'

(CNN) -- There is something deeply unsettling about this prickly, suspenseful first feature from writer director Sean Durkin.
Although "Martha Marcy May Marlene" is set exclusively in bucolic surroundings, on a farm somewhere in the Catskills and in a luxurious lakeside cabin in Connecticut, the film is pregnant with dread.
The threat of violence, implied or imagined, haunts its troubled, many-named heroine from the opening minutes, when she makes her bid for freedom. She wakes in the pre-dawn, picks her way out of a slumbering room, heads out the front door and into the trees. But she doesn't get far before someone raises the alarm for "Marcy May," and she breaks into a run. Later, after it seems she's free and clear, the same man catches up with her in at a diner in a nearby town. He sidles up and makes easy conversation. There is no coercion, no physical duress in this public place, but the menace is almost overpowering. And then he leaves.
Has she been relinquished? Was she free to leave all along? Marcy May -- or Martha, as she calls herself when she phones for help -- does not believe it. And sensing her traumatized, near-catatonic panic, nor do we. But it's only gradually that we come to comprehend the reasons for her great distress.
Durkin (who produced the chilly "Afterschool") does a very clever thing here. He cuts between Martha's painfully incremental rehabilitation and recovery at the home rented by her older half-sister and her architect husband (Sarah Paulson and Hugh Dancy), and flashbacks to Martha's induction to the commune from which we've already seen her escape. But the transitions are hard cuts, and often intentionally disorienting, so we're not always immediately sure what's past and present.
It's a confusion we share with Martha, who is haunted by nightmares from the farm and acts out in ways that her family is hard-pressed to accept, let alone understand. Durkin gestures here towards a surrealist satire in the culture-clash between the bourgeois sister and the reprogrammed, defiantly anti-materialist, sexually uninhibited Martha -- though it's not clear his heart is really in it.
The commune -- which initially seems idyllic and empowering -- gradually reveals its dark side, embodied both in the passive group-think of its members, and most disturbingly of all in the messianic Patrick (John Hawkes). His soft-spoken self-help platitudes are more Dr. Phil than Charles Manson, until he gets to cocking his pistol and teaching the girls how to shoot.
Hawkes is equally convincing, whether he's serenading Marcy May on his guitar or blooding her in preparation for a nocturnal raid on the neighboring holiday cottages; a little ad hoc redistribution of wealth to supplement the farm's organic crop -- maybe the one sequence where Durkin, who has a talent for insinuation and withholding, oversteps the mark.
But the movie stands or falls on Martha/Marcy May, and Durkin hit paydirt in casting Elizabeth Olsen. The younger sister to Mary Kate and Ashley, the 21-year-old Olsen is sensationally good, flipping between the innocent, impressionable beguilement of Marcy May (as Patrick rechristens her) and Martha's crippling, bed-wetting anxiety and anger.
It's a punishing role but a star-making performance, a spellbinding portrait of a shattered young woman who has been systemically and cynically stripped of all autonomy, and who doesn't know if the pieces will ever fit back together again.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Siege

I know you faggots didn't know about this girl.

Siege

Do you guys know who Dakota Fanning is?

Did you know she have a sister, Elle Fanning, who starred in Spielberg's "Super 8"?

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Zoupa

They're not that good looking. Although I saw Super 8 and Somewhere, the fanning girl can act.

You're a sick fuck Siege.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Zoupa on October 21, 2011, 06:07:16 PM
They're not that good looking. Although I saw Super 8 and Somewhere, the fanning girl can act.

That's pretty much a requisite for the U.S. Army infantry folks.

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Eddie Teach

Hard to imagine Michelle Tanner having a younger sister.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Scipio

What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Alcibiades

Quote from: Tonitrus on October 21, 2011, 06:26:45 PM

You dumb flyboy support jockey..  :glare:

Siegy is one special case of something.  :unsure:
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Tonitrus

Quote from: Alcibiades on October 21, 2011, 08:16:38 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on October 21, 2011, 06:26:45 PM

You dumb flyboy support jockey..  :glare:

Siegy is one special case of something.  :unsure:

Hey, it's my duty to rib you Army pukes.  :P

Habsburg

Quote from: Siege on October 21, 2011, 05:26:39 PM
I know you faggots didn't know about this girl.

She's been on Oscar radar for this role for like half a year.

Syt

Siege only wishes he could be as manly and fierce as this Jew.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Queequeg

Elizabeth Olsen is kind of hot.  Maybe an 8.  Besides that, you're a sick, sick fuck.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Sophie Scholl

She's certainly more normal looking than her sisters.  They turned out... creepy. :cthulu:
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."