And we're back!

Main Menu

Who actually is in for Star Wars?

Started by Berkut, October 20, 2011, 03:13:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Quote from: Tamas on November 26, 2011, 09:46:07 AM
Quote from: Caliga on November 26, 2011, 09:21:16 AM
Hmm... are you fools going to insist on a PvP server once again?

wtf is the point in that?

For someone as bad at competing with actual humans as you are, there is very little point.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Caliga

@Tamas I agree, but that's why I have never really played WoW with Languish ppl.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Syt

I've re-rolled as Consular and brought my char up to Level 8. I like that storyline so far a lot better than the smuggler one.

For some reason, though, the game draws a white pixel at the exact same location all the time. At first I thought it'd be my monitor or gfx card, but I don't have it with any other app or game. :unsure:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Syt on November 26, 2011, 11:43:18 AM
I've re-rolled as Consular and brought my char up to Level 8. I like that storyline so far a lot better than the smuggler one.

For some reason, though, the game draws a white pixel at the exact same location all the time. At first I thought it'd be my monitor or gfx card, but I don't have it with any other app or game. :unsure:

I'm not alone? Dude I almost bought a new monitor today!
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Tamas

Quote from: Berkut on November 26, 2011, 10:12:34 AM

For someone as bad at competing with actual humans as you are, there is very little point.

:yeahright:

griefing teenagers in some MMO is one of the lowest forms of perceived "competition" I can think of.

Berkut

Quote from: Tamas on November 26, 2011, 02:45:04 PM
Quote from: Berkut on November 26, 2011, 10:12:34 AM

:yeahright:

griefing teenagers in some MMO is one of the lowest forms of perceived "competition" I can think of.

Well, if that is what the PvP amounts to, then I suppose that would actually suck. Is there some reason you think that is what the PvP amounts to in SWOL?

Or are you just using that as an excuse to hide behind?

Actually, the reason I like PvP servers (even in WoW) was never the actual PvP. PvP in WoW was all about arenas and battlegrounds anyway. It was that PvP servers tend to attract a more serious kind of player. Also douchebags like Seedy as well, but that is the price you pay.

0 rows returned

Barrister

What I liked about PvP servers were the instances when PvP didn't happen - when you'd see an opposing player, /wave or /bow at each other, then go on your way.

But apparently in TOR it shouldn't be as bad as in WoW - you don't share quest hubs, and don't have any zones in common until the 20s.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Tamas

Quote from: Berkut on November 26, 2011, 03:23:09 PM
It was that PvP servers tend to attract a more serious kind of player. Also douchebags like Seedy as well, but that is the price you pay.

First of all, I don't exactly know how Old Republic PvP will look like, but considering the quite dated MMO gold standard gameplay which it has, I am pretty sure I have a pretty good general idea about it, like everyone else here.

For the "serious players" part I dunno. In the classic MMO setup like this game has, PvP is just an aftertought by the very nature of the thing, and always seemed very out of place for me, and thus everyone who engaged in world PvP seemed like sweating from some kind of inferiority complex, or was just a douchebag, happy to be a virtual bully.

Now mind you, I highly enjoyed the PvP-oriented Warhammer Online. I basically did no PvE quest except those collaborative things which yielded nice rewards. I enjoyed the teamwork and the challenge, and vastly preferred the scenarios and the RvR gameplay over PvEing mobs.

But Old Republic is a WoW clone which is very dated gameplay-wise before release. So not only the PvP is bound to be an aftertought, it is bound to be inferior to any other modern offering focusing on the PvP, therefore it makes no sense to me to go out of your way to do open-world PvP in an enviroment which seem very very ill-suited for it.

Berkut

I think that is a rather lot of speculation on your part about what PvP is going to be like.

0 rows returned

Tamas

Quote from: Berkut on November 26, 2011, 04:08:21 PM
I think that is a rather lot of speculation on your part about what PvP is going to be like.

Have you played the beta? This game is WoW in Star Wars. They don't even pretend otherwise.

Berkut

Quote from: Tamas on November 26, 2011, 04:26:16 PM

Have you played the beta? This game is WoW in Star Wars. They don't even pretend otherwise.

I have - and the only similarity to WoW is in the gameplay mechanics. How the classes interact, and how PvP works has no similarity at all, that I can tell.

But hey, you've played the beta, and I am sure you know all about how PvP works in SWOL, since you are clearly an expert. Why don't you tell us about it, rather than speculating?

0 rows returned

Tamas

Quote from: Berkut on November 26, 2011, 05:22:47 PM

I have - and the only similarity to WoW is in the gameplay mechanics. How the classes interact, and how PvP works has no similarity at all, that I can tell.

But hey, you've played the beta, and I am sure you know all about how PvP works in SWOL, since you are clearly an expert. Why don't you tell us about it, rather than speculating?

I have made assumptions based on the familiar patterns I (and everyone else for whom this isn't their first MMO) see. You are making assumptions DESPITE seeing the same patterns. So why don't you tell me what I am missing from the big picture, except that you claim you are a better competitive player in computer role playing games than I am?

Strix

Quote from: Tamas on November 26, 2011, 06:31:47 PM

I have made assumptions based on the familiar patterns I (and everyone else for whom this isn't their first MMO) see. You are making assumptions DESPITE seeing the same patterns. So why don't you tell me what I am missing from the big picture, except that you claim you are a better competitive player in computer role playing games than I am?

He is
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Berkut

Quote from: Tamas on November 26, 2011, 06:31:47 PM

I make no claims one way or the other - I simply do not know what PvP in SWOL will be like. What I don't get is why you are so prepared to know exactly what it will be like to the extent that you are willing to dismiss it out of hand, while admitting you don't know anything about it.

And don't be so sensitive, seriously. I am just giving you shit.

0 rows returned