News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Who actually is in for Star Wars?

Started by Berkut, October 20, 2011, 03:13:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Don't fuck with Tamas and games he illegally downloads, man.

Tamas

:D

I just didn't want to concede, Berk.

Especially since I'll be proven right :P

Syt

Anyways, I've been very surprised. I didn't expect to have this much fun in the game, even though it's basically WoW with a KotOR dressing and a few Bioware standard features thrown in (companions, dialogues, moral choices). It works for me. As do the cartoonish visuals. I loved the old Old Republic comics, and I enjoy the Clone Wars cartoons, so I don't mind. Partially it's probably that you feel rather powerful from the get go.

I've played my consular to level 12 to get a taste of playing a Shadow and Coruscant. Good stuff.

I then started briefly an Imperial Operative. Even though I don't fancy playing that class much (as with consular), the story kept pulling me in and it was not quite easy to stop playing it.

I've re-ordered my pre-order. I'm flip-flopping more often on this than . . . someone who . . . flip-flops very often. :unsure:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Berkut

You know, I've been playing a little more, and it is growing on me.

I want to see how the grouping is - has anyone tried that?

One thing is that so far there is zero challenge. Every quest I just blow through everything without much need to think about it at all.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Barrister

Quote from: Berkut on November 27, 2011, 10:02:09 AM

One thing is that so far there is zero challenge. Every quest I just blow through everything without much need to think about it at all.

I've hit one quest as a Sith Inquisitor that is kicking my ass - I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but I can't keep him at range, and he just tears through my health.

Grouping is fine - so far.  I did the couple quests that are listed as 2+ in groups.  Because no one has any healing or tanking talents there's no particular strategy involved.  We'll see how it is later on.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Scipio

What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Syt

Biggest challenge so far has been going through the final "training droid" mission as Jedi Consular on Tython. The last enemy is an elite that can really kick your bum. On Coruscant was one quest that also ended with fighting an elite that was pretty close.

Overall I've died a few times when I got in over my head, e.g. seven or eight mobs that are my level or slightly above (happened a few times in Flesh Raider territory).

But in total the game has been pretty forgiving so far.

Only group quest I did was Chamber of Speech on Tython with a PUG. Folks were nice, but at that level there's no real roles yet (tanking, healing ...).

I'm loving the soundtrack, btw. It's a good mix between stuff from the movies, from the first two games, and new music. I liked the tune in the Coruscant Senate Plaza.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

I haven't played dark side much (want to save that for live), but one early side quest on Hutta showed that Dark Side is *really* dark.

[Minor Spoiler - very early quest]

A mother comes to you, telling you that her husband took their force sensitive child away so he doesn't have to go to the Sith Academy on Korriban.

When you confront the father he says that he used to be at the Academy, and that he knows that you either succeed or die there. He couldn't cut it and escaped, barely. He doesn't want the same for his son.

He begs you to keep his secret and leave him be. The Dark Side choice is to punish him, i.e. shoot him in front of his kid son. The kid cries over his dead Papa - and you can tell him that one day he will thank you for what you did before you return to the mother to claim your reward (she promised you "all she has").
—Stephen Jay Gould

Shade

Sorry did not relize how dated the trailer was this might be MUCH more beneficial http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/05/05/hands-on-star-wars-the-old-republic-pvp/

QuoteThere's also something called Resolve in there, which is designed to prevent the frustration of being constantly Area Of Effected to death. AoE attacks will stop working on a player for a short time, meaning others will have to resort to more elaborate tactics.

This looks promising

QuoteBadges award players with Valour. Valour is the PvP equivalent of XP, which while not able to exceed your current XP level, will let you unlock unique equipment. And the higher your Valour, the more important you are in the game's Warzones. You can also spend Valour on stims – the injections that give you a temporary advantage in combat – from stim vendors found near spawn points in maps.

Seems interesting....

QuoteSo there's nothing that we haven't seen before, clearly trying to borrow from FPS multiplayer in the same way as, say, Global Agenda. And for many in the room it seemed to be lots of fun.

For me, with an Imperial Agent, it was a tedious, miserable experience. Relying on the game's cover system proved surprisingly untroubling in the PvE content. There was such an abundance of things to hide behind that I rarely felt unable to join in. Here, at any point when another couple of players attacked me, it became clear that all I could do was wait to die, respawn, and repeat.

Not so interesting...  :(

Quotehis was standard Conquest multiplayer. Yes – it's a great opportunity to pit your character's skill setup against other players, and it's certainly more interesting than an old-fashioned PvP slaughter field, but it's certainly nothing new.

Seems Tamas may have called it with nothing brand new...

QuoteJust not this PvP diversion that felt like it belonged somewhere else, in a game that wasn't about delivering smart story and witty content.
This is most likely be the reason I do not get into this game... I am a very PvPcentic person.

Tamas

I share Syt's feelings: I am very surprised that I enjoyed it, but I did.

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on November 27, 2011, 12:44:45 PM
I haven't played dark side much (want to save that for live), but one early side quest on Hutta showed that Dark Side is *really* dark.

[Minor Spoiler - very early quest]

A mother comes to you, telling you that her husband took their force sensitive child away so he doesn't have to go to the Sith Academy on Korriban.

When you confront the father he says that he used to be at the Academy, and that he knows that you either succeed or die there. He couldn't cut it and escaped, barely. He doesn't want the same for his son.

He begs you to keep his secret and leave him be. The Dark Side choice is to punish him, i.e. shoot him in front of his kid son. The kid cries over his dead Papa - and you can tell him that one day he will thank you for what you did before you return to the mother to claim your reward (she promised you "all she has").

I've found that contrary to what was claimed, there is very little nuance to the Sith side.  Dark side is really dark.  I doubt very much I'd play a Sith toon for any length of time.  Even this weekend I've been playing a Sith Inquisitor, and while I like the overall game, I don't like that storyline.

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on November 27, 2011, 12:29:54 PM

Biggest challenge so far has been going through the final "training droid" mission as Jedi Consular on Tython. The last enemy is an elite that can really kick your bum. On Coruscant was one quest that also ended with fighting an elite that was pretty close.

Overall I've died a few times when I got in over my head, e.g. seven or eight mobs that are my level or slightly above (happened a few times in Flesh Raider territory).

But in total the game has been pretty forgiving so far.

Only group quest I did was Chamber of Speech on Tython with a PUG. Folks were nice, but at that level there's no real roles yet (tanking, healing ...).

I'm loving the soundtrack, btw. It's a good mix between stuff from the movies, from the first two games, and new music. I liked the tune in the Coruscant Senate Plaza.

As I mentioned I've been playing a Sith Inquisitor (equivalent to JC).  I wonder if they need to work on the difficulty for light armour classes, as a couple of missions I found were very difficult until I finally got a companion who could tank for me.

Stonewall

Lndhnd and I are both in.  I'm not playing any of the beta stuff.  Not power leveling either.  No desire to do the rush to end game.  I love the Star Wars universe and am really looking forward to the story line.  Rolling Sith Warrior from the start.  Looking forward to tanking again.
"I'd just like to say that most of us begin life suckling on a breast. If we're lucky we end life suckling on a breast. So anybody who's against breasts is against life itself."

katmai

Hey Stoney, a bunch of my guildies from WoW are gonna be trying this out, we have 15 or so of us at start. If you two are interested in joining on PVE East coast server let me know.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son