News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

FM 2012

Started by The Larch, October 20, 2011, 12:33:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

Quote from: Josephus on February 03, 2012, 09:27:16 AM
Is it just me, though, or are there way too many corners in an average fm game?.

The normal game should have between 5 and 15 corner kicks per game and a goal from corners every three or four games. Does your FM game have much more than that? If anything I think that, yes, there are alot of corners (often as a result of unpressed defenders clearing to corner) but that corners almost never result in goals.

A typical team might have 90 corners in a 30 game season and 2-5 goals (depending on player skills) from corners. Are you out by very much?

I remember one season (I posted the analysis here) where me managing in spain resulted in an instant 50% increase in numbers of goals scored (by all teams, not just me). I think that the your FM game is more intense in general at all levels. The game that in "reality" ended 1-2 ends 3-5 in your FM game.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Josephus

Well between 5 and 15 is quite a spread. But I'd say between 10-15 as a minimum, often a lot more. I think I notice them so much because they're so fucking boring. I play the game on extended highlights because I find "key" too minimal and "full game" a chore to watch.
It seems that everytime a winger goes down the wing inevitably that ball is going to end up as a corner. And then the game slows down as the player gets the ball, places it, takes the kick and more often than not the ball ends up bouncing off a defender for another corner, except this time from the other side of the field. It gets tedious to watch. Especially if one side is winning by a few goals and we're in injury time. :D
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Viking

I just found out that "Match Highest Earner" clause applies to staff as well. I was just offered a pay raise from €3k per week to €20.5k per week after doing quite well. The thing is my best paid player had a salary of €15k per week. He then got a pay bump because he had the "Match Highest Earner" clause in his contract. I had 4 players making more than €10k before that contract offer, now I have two on €20.5k as well as two others above €10k.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Viking

Got hired at Athletic Bilbao. It's like playing a national team where all the best players refuse a call up. This is not a club that you can build up and it is not a club that can sign that argentinian wonderkid my scouts just found. If you can't get a good basque in a position then you have to rearrange your team tactic. Right now the basques don't have any good left backs but do have lots of good strikers, so 3-4-3 it is.

This might be my most rewarding game yet.

FunkMonk

I've deliberately stopped playing FM for the past couple of months, because if I started again my studies would go to crap. However, I'll have time next week, so I'm wondering about a good team that would be interesting and fun to manage. Right now my list consists of Porto, At. Bilbao, and Napoli. Any other ideas?
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Viking

I'll vote At. Bilbao if only to have had the experience. Also, if you haven't played MLS yet try that.

Or manage Israel and immediately arrange friendlies with Palestine, Saudi Arabia and Iran as I did once. The resulting 0-0 draw with palestine had me arranging IDF call-ups for the entire team just in time for ramadan.

Josephus

Quote from: FunkMonk on March 03, 2012, 03:56:05 PM
I've deliberately stopped playing FM for the past couple of months, because if I started again my studies would go to crap. However, I'll have time next week, so I'm wondering about a good team that would be interesting and fun to manage. Right now my list consists of Porto, At. Bilbao, and Napoli. Any other ideas?

I'm playing as Napoli, in the third year of the game now. It's fun. Not hard, but still a challenge. I've yet to win Serie A, but won the coppa twice running. During my second year I went on a bit of a tear and picked up a few players and went into bankruptcy. :D New owner is a bit stingy now, so have had to sell Lavezzi.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

katmai

Now in season 7 of my game, brought up team from Lowest English league possible, now in League 1 and trying to make jump up to Championship. As a minnow been beefing up team to this level by signing released youth players from the EPL teams, and then turn around and selling them 2-3 years later for decent money...maybe would be in Championship already if I would keep more of them, but in the process of moving up leagues the Team has taken out loans to build a new stadium so strapped for cash.

:D
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

katmai

Oh and if anyone hasn't bought FM 2012 yet, it is on sale at Steam for $7.49 for next two days.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

FunkMonk

In honor of Athletic's mauling of United, I'll take Viking's advice and start a Bilbao game. :basque:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Pedrito

I tried Bilbao during one of my wandering career games while playing, i think, CM3 or CM 97-98.

The lack of an adequate quantity of eligible players, the difficulties in building a decent cantera and issues about the tactics system made me abandon the game out of pure frustration.

I should try it again, though, Bilbao has been always one of my favourite teams, along with the Spurs, PSG, and Werder Bremen. Relatively to FM,of course  :P

I'm going to start a new game now that the winter update is out

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Viking

Quote from: Pedrito on March 09, 2012, 12:21:59 PM
I tried Bilbao during one of my wandering career games while playing, i think, CM3 or CM 97-98.

The lack of an adequate quantity of eligible players, the difficulties in building a decent cantera and issues about the tactics system made me abandon the game out of pure frustration.

I should try it again, though, Bilbao has been always one of my favourite teams, along with the Spurs, PSG, and Werder Bremen. Relatively to FM,of course  :P

I'm going to start a new game now that the winter update is out

L.

A lack of decent players? WTF?

Bilbao has one of the best youth setups in the game, yes their special system is "simulated" by having a big number. But basically each season you get two or three primera liga level prospects. Plus shitloads of money to buy the good basques at Sociedad, Zaragoza and Osasuna etc. plus the godlike basques barcelona and real madrid seem to produce from time to time.

You can't raid youth academies or agressively scout south america, but there are lots of good basques out there. The problem is filling all the positions with good players. It's sort of like the problem the norway national team has right now with John Arne Riise (Fulham) and Morten Gamst Pedersen (Blackburn) on the left as back and winger and no-name norwegian league players on as back/winger on the right side.

My suggestion would rather be to work hard to coach your youth players and to use the buy-back clause for any still developing players that insist on getting first team football but refuse to go on loan. It's just a much more interesting management option. I'm in 2020 and the five best basque players are a goalkeeper, left back and three left wingers. Only one of which is at Athletic Bilbao. I've got 50 million euro and nobody worth buying is willing to come to the club; so I have to make the most out of what I have.

Pedrito

Quote from: Viking on March 09, 2012, 05:06:08 PM
Quote from: Pedrito on March 09, 2012, 12:21:59 PM

:contract:

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Josquius

Whats so special about Bilbao? They can only have Basque players?
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Ok, I bought this during the sale. I've found a torrent with real player pictures and club/competition logos. I tried downloading from one of the fansites, but they use crappy filehosters which didn't really seem to work for me.

Is there a megapck for kits/jerseys floating around somewhere? I see there's plenty of downloads at sortitoutsi.net, but you have to download every country individually, and I'm totally confused with their lack of structure over there.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.