News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Hotline Miami

Started by Razgovory, November 06, 2012, 07:08:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Anyone hear of this game?  It's cheap and it's ugly, and I'm thinking of getting it, but for some reason the whole game kind of disturbs me.  It's gory, sure, but that never bothers me, but the whole thing kinda creeps me out.  I'm not sure why. 
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Bought the game, it's fucking trippy.  I have no idea what's going on.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Strix

Quote from: Razgovory on November 07, 2012, 07:01:21 AM
Bought the game, it's fucking trippy.  I have no idea what's going on.

Why should your gaming life be any different than your real one?
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Razgovory

Games usually have a clear narrative.  My life does not.  Nor does yours for that matter.

MadBurgerMaker

This is the "murder everyone in this set of rooms in several different ways" game, right?  I've seen some videos and such, but never tried it.

Razgovory

Finished the game twice.  Second time to get the real ending, which was kinda of a let down.  To get the real ending you have to collect scrabble pieces and then put them together.  Each level has a scrabble piece, but they are just a pixel in the game, the only way to really see them is to wear an owl mask.  So I played all the levels again with the owl mask and found the pieces.  While the game hints at some big secret, it's really not that interesting.  Weirdly the main character, who collects the scrabble pieces is not the one who finds out the big secret.  It's one of the bosses you fight.  After the game ends it rewinds to an earlier date where you take control of the boss and see his side of the story, and when he runs into the first player character, you kill him and go on your merry way.

Graphically the game is meant to be like an arcade game from 1989, which it does succeed at, though it sometimes hurts my eyes.  The game reminds me of days in the arcade playing games like NARC and Smash TV.  The actual game play itself is pretty fun.  It's tough, but you restart very quickly so there's not to much frustration.  The game has some elements of randomness in AI and weapons so that can throw things off when you are trying to time a mission just right.  Despite looking like it came out in 1989, the violence is really brutal.  Smashing peoples heads into the floor, gouging out their eyes, and drilling through their skull.  It's a little off putting.  I imagine it would be more so if everyone didn't look like they were created out of only a dozen pixels.  Still it's fun, and challenging, and probably worth 10 bucks.

The Brain

My life is narrated by Ben Stein.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.