News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Tot, 2, run over twice, and no one helps

Started by jimmy olsen, October 17, 2011, 03:51:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Razgovory on October 17, 2011, 09:32:58 PM
I get the impression that solider is not well respected profession in China.  Anyway, the police intimidating the army is pretty typical in communist countries.

I'm pretty sure youre right. even in SK theyre not as respected/worshipped as in USA, and they have universal conscription.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Monoriu

I get the impression that solider is not well respected profession in China.  Anyway, the police intimidating the army is pretty typical in communist countries.

Traditionally, only scum join the army. 

Razgovory

Quote from: Monoriu on October 17, 2011, 10:38:51 PM

We had that tradition in the west up until the Napoleonic wars.  I thought China got rid of Universal conscription.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tonitrus

All that scum...  :wub:

Monoriu

Quote from: Razgovory on October 17, 2011, 11:13:58 PM

We had that tradition in the west up until the Napoleonic wars.  I thought China got rid of Universal conscription.

Conscription only exist in name only.  The population is just too large. 

In China, office work reigns supreme. 

Razgovory

Quote from: Tonitrus on October 17, 2011, 11:18:49 PM

All that scum...  :wub:

That is so fucking hot.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Those women seem fairly buffed for Asian chicks.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

grumbler

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on October 17, 2011, 10:26:50 PM
I'm pretty sure youre right. even in SK theyre not as respected/worshipped as in USA, and they have universal conscription.
Different societies have different standards for what is respected/worshipped.  In South Korea, it seems to be Olympic athletes that are respected/worshipped.  Given the nature of the Olympics, I think I will pass on that religion.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: grumbler on October 18, 2011, 06:12:31 AM
Different societies have different standards for what is respected/worshipped.  In South Korea, it seems to be Olympic athletes that are respected/worshipped.  Given the nature of the Olympics, I think I will pass on that religion.
What about StarCraft players?
PDH!

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Razgovory on October 17, 2011, 08:03:05 PM
The Kitty Genovese thing is somewhat over played.  It didn't happen as was first reported.

Quite so - it is a bit of an urban legend that has accreted over time

BTW her killer is up for parole this month and will be the first high media profile cases under the new NY parole rules.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: grumbler on October 18, 2011, 06:12:31 AM

Tru, if you win the gold you dont have to serve. If its just a silver or bronze then into the army you go!
And while the attitude towards soldiers is more neutral,* dodging your military service (except legitimately) is frowned upon.Some celebrities lost a lot of respect and contracts when it came out that they lied to dodge conscription.

*likely due to the whole military dictatorship thing
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 18, 2011, 09:19:07 AM
What are the new rules?

The parole board must consider extent of rehabilitiation and likelihood of success upon release.  Before they could consider those factors but it was purely discretionary.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

DGuller

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on October 17, 2011, 08:37:47 PM
I like how its the police that pulled out the hand grenade :lol:
Yeah, I noticed the same thing.  For some reason, I always thought that hand grenades were not ideal for police use.  Then again, we have a sherrif who takes a howitzer with him when making busts, so who are we to judge?