News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

New SCC Justices!

Started by Barrister, October 17, 2011, 09:06:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Quote from: Barrister on October 17, 2011, 04:41:03 PM
-Greek (First Greek SCC Justice can't hurt)
The EU made a decision based on that fact and are regretting it to this day. Have we learned nothing!
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Tonitrus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 17, 2011, 05:07:26 PM
Quote from: Malthus on October 17, 2011, 04:36:32 PM
They chose this woman over Sharpe?  :huh:

Given the cultural sensitivies in Canada, picking a man most famous for shooting Frenchmen might be seen as unduly provocative.

Yet oh so satisfying.

Malthus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 17, 2011, 05:07:26 PM
Quote from: Malthus on October 17, 2011, 04:36:32 PM
They chose this woman over Sharpe?  :huh:

Given the cultural sensitivies in Canada, picking a man most famous for shooting Frenchmen might be seen as unduly provocative.

Actually, his fame in the field of Injunctions and Specific Performance texts now trumps his Frenchman-shooting exploits. 

Evidently he has switched careers along with centuries.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

She is a:

-woman
-bilingual
-strong, but defensible ties to Flaherty and Ontario PCs

She is not a:

- well-known judge or learned legal authority
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on October 17, 2011, 06:00:21 PM
She is a:

-woman
-bilingual

She is not a:

But based on media reports that does not matter because she is:

- Female

Neil

Quote from: Malthus on October 17, 2011, 06:00:21 PM
She is a:

-woman
-bilingual
She is not a:

If Sharpe got a sex-change, he would have been in for sure.  The optics of putting a sex-change weirdo on the bench would have been too good.  Double check-box for 'woman' and fag.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Tonitrus

Our SC is more powerful than your SC.

Of course, here in Amerika, lawyers reign supreme over the peasant masses.

Neil

Quote from: Tonitrus on October 17, 2011, 07:56:38 PM

Of course, here in Amerika, lawyers reign supreme over the peasant masses.
That might have been true once, but the Charter of Rights removed all the rights from the people and placed them in the Supreme Court.  Now, they hold absolute power over Canada.  They're Canada's Politburo.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 17, 2011, 09:26:30 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on October 17, 2011, 07:56:38 PM

How so?

Scalia is always packing under that robe.  Curiously our SC is made up entirely of Jews and Catholics.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

American protestants have regressed into a religious stupor over the last few decades.

Razgovory

Quote from: Neil on October 17, 2011, 09:32:32 PM
American protestants have regressed into a religious stupor over the last few decades.

It's not a real religion.  Incidentally the Protestant view of the Bible is very similar to the Conservative view of the Constitution likewise the Catholic view of the Bible is not dissimilar to Liberal view of the Constitution.  For example when I was last on Pdox some GOPtards were arguing that the 3/5ths clause should apply to illegal immigrants.  Apparently this a popular idea amongst Glenn Beck fans, based on personal interpretation of the Constitution.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Neil

It's definitely a real religion.  Millions fought and died for it.

I think the advantage that Catholics have is that they're used to ignoring authority, since the Catholic Church has been at odds with reality for so long that even their adherents don't really pay much attention to them anymore.

Razgovory

Quote from: Neil on October 17, 2011, 10:33:50 PM
It's definitely a real religion.  Millions fought and died for it.

I think the advantage that Catholics have is that they're used to ignoring authority, since the Catholic Church has been at odds with reality for so long that even their adherents don't really pay much attention to them anymore.

History is full of people dying for things that aren't a real religion.  The Catholic church has so many doctrine that have been fought over and argued that it's a bit like case law.  Similar to Judaism, it makes it a natural fit for a judge.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Malthus on October 17, 2011, 05:59:09 PM
Actually, his fame in the field of Injunctions and Specific Performance texts

Classic material for trial court judges.  Peter Principle?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson