Bhutan's beloved "Dragon King" marries his commoner bride

Started by jimmy olsen, October 13, 2011, 04:01:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I would make a good king.  I wouldn't bother people much, and rarely leave the palace.  Actually, I wouldn't even need a palace.  If they just gave me an ordinary house and food I'd be good.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

I wonder.   Can the British royal family marry into the Japanese royal family?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Josquius

Quote from: Martinus on October 13, 2011, 09:12:12 AM
He doesn't look like a total jerk, but alas he will have to lay his neck beneath the guillotine blade of progress.  :(

the most progressive countries in the world are monarchies
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

Quote from: Tyr on October 13, 2011, 10:14:00 PM
He doesn't look like a total jerk, but alas he will have to lay his neck beneath the guillotine blade of progress.  :(

So are the most regressive.

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Razgovory on October 13, 2011, 09:45:50 PM
I wonder.   Can the British royal family marry into the Japanese royal family?

As long as they're not Catholic.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Razgovory on October 13, 2011, 09:44:50 PM
I would make a good king.  I wouldn't bother people much, and rarely leave the palace.  Actually, I wouldn't even need a palace.  If they just gave me an ordinary house and food I'd be good.

I'd vote for you. :)
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Zoupa

Josquius

Quote from: Razgovory on October 13, 2011, 10:21:17 PM
Quote from: Tyr on October 13, 2011, 10:14:00 PM

So are the most regressive.
:lol:
I just knew someone would say that.
1: One or two of them are, most are republics.
2: Doesn't change that some of the most progressive countries in the world are monarchies therefore disproving that republicanism is needed for progress.
██████
██████
██████

Camerus

As long as the king is thoroughly neutered and kept in his gilded cage, like in England,  I don't think it makes much of a difference.

I can understand this guy's reluctance to marry, but presumably he'll still have ample mistresses for the rest of his days, so all is well.

Zanza

The Larch

Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on October 14, 2011, 04:11:59 AM
As long as the king is thoroughly neutered and kept in his gilded cage, like in England,  I don't think it makes much of a difference.

I can understand this guy's reluctance to marry, but presumably he'll still have ample mistresses for the rest of his days, so all is well.

On practical terms there aren't many differences between a constitutional monarchy, as is the case in almost all of Europe (except for a few zany outliers like Liechenstein where they still bite) and a republic, so I don't think that it's a big deal in terms of "progressiveness". IIRC the only exception to this was in Belgium when they wanted to pass something that the King was morally against, I can't remember if it had to deal with abortion, or same sex marriages or something. He was "forced" to take a day off or something, so the law could be passed with a council signing it instead of him.

As for the Bhutanese dude, well, the new Queen seems to be cute, and it says that his father has four wives (and sisters, to boot, family reunions must be a riot), so he can always add to the collection later on, besides the mistresses. It's good to be the king, and all that. Besides, as long as they keep the Gross National Happines thingie all is well in Bhutan.  :lol:

Drakken

Quote from: The Larch on October 14, 2011, 06:11:04 AM
On practical terms there aren't many differences between a constitutional monarchy, as is the case in almost all of Europe (except for a few zany outliers like Liechenstein where they still bite) and a republic, so I don't think that it's a big deal in terms of "progressiveness". IIRC the only exception to this was in Belgium when they wanted to pass something that the King was morally against, I can't remember if it had to deal with abortion, or same sex marriages or something. He was "forced" to take a day off or something, so the law could be passed with a council signing it instead of him.

It was abortion.

He wasn't forced, in fact he proposed it. Baudouin was a stauch Conservative Catholic and while he acknowledged the will of the Belgium Parliament it went against his Catholic conscience. So the King proposed the Regency compromise, so that the Belgium Cabinet gives the assent in his name while he was "unable to rule" for 24 hours.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on October 13, 2011, 09:42:35 AMIt happens in some of those smaller countries.  Didn't Liechtenstein vote it's prince more powers?
I think Sark voted to keep the feudal system until the European Court of Human Rights said they couldn't.
Let's bomb Russia!

Iormlund

Quote from: Habbaku on October 13, 2011, 11:00:38 PM
You don't vote for a king.
Well how do you become king then?