Swine Flue outbreak in Mexico, US; 20 confirmed dead.

Started by Syt, April 25, 2009, 04:38:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Malthus on April 30, 2009, 11:13:53 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 30, 2009, 11:03:20 AM
Does anyone know the last time we had a threat level of 5?  I heard some disease control type on the radio saying that the reason for the concern is that the Spanish Flu also started by being mild in the spring/summer but then as "flu season" arrived it turned very deadly.

They are concerned the same might happen with this given the fact that it is a new virius.

I think that the "six stages" system developed by the WHO is relatively new and has not seen a pandemic since its development - I think this is the first time a phase 5 has occurred.

Level 5 hit with SARS in 2005, when cases showed up in Toronto, IIRC. Not that big of a deal.

CountDeMoney

A conversation with my Vice President:

"After evaluating the results of a study we just made up, Kenny and I determined we're not considered 'essential' personnel."
"Oh really?"
"Yes, sir."
"Well, you just have to remember that essential personnel are the first to be considered for the limited merit increases this year."
"We'll get fitted for our respirators immediately."

Drakken

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 01, 2009, 05:09:40 AM
Quote from: Malthus on April 30, 2009, 11:13:53 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 30, 2009, 11:03:20 AM
Does anyone know the last time we had a threat level of 5?  I heard some disease control type on the radio saying that the reason for the concern is that the Spanish Flu also started by being mild in the spring/summer but then as "flu season" arrived it turned very deadly.

They are concerned the same might happen with this given the fact that it is a new virius.

I think that the "six stages" system developed by the WHO is relatively new and has not seen a pandemic since its development - I think this is the first time a phase 5 has occurred.

Level 5 hit with SARS in 2005, when cases showed up in Toronto, IIRC. Not that big of a deal.

And even if we hit Level 6, it doesn't mean that millions of people will die. The virulence or lethality of the illness is irrelevant to the scale. Level 6 means that the illness has reached the point of a pandemic, whether it is lethal or not.

Ed Anger

I have had the drizzling shits since Tuesday.

I for one, blame mexico.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Savonarola

WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!

QuoteNo handshakes with diplomas at Oakland University graduation
By Megha Satyanarayana • Free Press staff writer • May 1, 2009

This year's graduating class at Oakland University will walk across the stage, but won't get a customary handshake from the university president. Banning handshakes, said spokesman Ted Montgomery, was at the recommendation of the Oakland County Health Division, in response to preventing the spread of H1N1 flu.

"They're the experts," he said. "We're going to follow the recommendation."

This flu virus has sickened 141 Americans, including two in Michigan, and has killed a toddler visiting Texas. It has spread to 11 countries, the World Health Organization announced today, including the United States and Mexico, where it has killed at least nine people.

The handshake is usually one of the final moments in graduation ceremonies all over the United States, and at OU it's also a photo opportunity. The Oakland County Health Division has recommended no hand contact for large events like graduations and proms.

For Nick Degel, a 25-year-old journalism major from Macomb Township who graduated from OU in December, he said it was kind of a reward.

"It's like, this is over, you did it," he said.

Tim Rath, a 22-year-old senior from Warren, said the handshake isn't as important as what it signifies.

"I'm disappointed that an institution of higher learning is buying into the media hype and taking away a landmark moment in my life," the journalism major said.

But OU isn't alone in this precaution.

"We are considering that option," said George Cartsonis, spokesman for Oakland Community College, where a graduation ceremony is scheduled for May 29. "But no decision has been made."

Spokespeople for other universities in the area, including Michigan State University, University of Michigan, Eastern Michigan University and Lawrence Technological University said officials will be shaking hands with their graduates.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Monoriu

We have our first confirmed case.  A Mexican flew in via Shanghai.  We have placed the hotel building that he stayed in under qurantine. 

Drakken

Quote from: Monoriu on May 01, 2009, 03:32:27 PM
We have our first confirmed case.  A Mexican flew in via Shanghai.  We have placed the hotel building that he stayed in under qurantine.

Will the case's family pay for the bullet?

Tamas

lol, if the WHO raises the level to 6, our company will install a heat camera the entrance and will make us wear those masks.

Neil

Quote from: Tamas on May 01, 2009, 04:19:12 PM
lol, if the WHO raises the level to 6, our company will install a heat camera the entrance and will make us wear those masks.
What if they go to level 7?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Neil on May 01, 2009, 04:50:49 PM
What if they go to level 7?

Gypsies start slaughtering the Hungarians.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Martinus

Seriously? Why is Hungary panicking so much over it? To be honest, here in Poland it is pretty much ignored completely. There were two cases of travellers from Mexico being suspected of having it but it turned out they had common cold.

Martinus

Anyway, the mortality rate of this flu seems to be around 3% AND that's of hospitalized cases only, so the overall mortality is probably lower, AND except 1 case, all fatalities happened in Mexico, so can be attributed to original lack of preparation and other problems with local health service.

All in all, what the fuck is the panic about?

Richard Hakluyt

I'm not sure there is a panic. The media here in Britland are stirring it up, but nobody I've talked to seems to care and the town is the same as usual  :huh:

Maybe it is primarily a media event?

Martinus

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on May 01, 2009, 05:22:37 PM
I'm not sure there is a panic. The media here in Britland are stirring it up, but nobody I've talked to seems to care and the town is the same as usual  :huh:

Maybe it is primarily a media event?
It seems like this in Poland too - I am just surprised by Tamas's and EdAnger's workplace idiocy.

Tamas

Quote from: Martinus on May 01, 2009, 05:13:57 PM
Seriously? Why is Hungary panicking so much over it? To be honest, here in Poland it is pretty much ignored completely. There were two cases of travellers from Mexico being suspected of having it but it turned out they had common cold.

No one is panicking, as far as general population goes. I have no idea whats this bullshit is. Wait, I do: the latest craze you have to care about if you wanna look like A Guy Being In A Responsible Leadership Position