California allows college aid to illegal immigrants

Started by garbon, October 09, 2011, 04:05:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

Quote from: grumbler on October 10, 2011, 07:56:55 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on October 09, 2011, 06:21:27 PM
I agree with garbon.  It's bogus.  Money spent on illegal immigrants is money that could be spent on decreasing the debt load of Americans.
That's true about the money spent on legal residents, as well.  It may be a feel-good stance, but it is logically crazy.

If one assumes that the children of illegal immigrants are going to be sent back to the country of their parents, then spending money on their college degrees seems like a waste of time.  If one assumes that they will not, then not spending money on their education seems as foolish as not spending it on any other student.  I think the law is probably based on the assumption that these people will, at the end of the day, stay in California.

The problem is the nation's immigration policies, not these students.

Of course, that's the rub--if they're here illegally, they should be deported.  But most of them aren't likely to be.

I think it says something about how badly enforced our immigration laws are that people who are here illegally aren't afraid to apply for financial aid in the first place.

Tamas

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: garbon on October 10, 2011, 08:41:48 AM
Quote from: The Brain on October 10, 2011, 08:34:22 AM
College students are stupid and ignorant. Any way you look at it they are a huge problem.

Keeps many of them off the streets. :contract:

Cheaper to put them in jail.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

garbon

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on October 10, 2011, 11:13:21 AM
College students are stupid and ignorant. Any way you look at it they are a huge problem.

Our prisons (specifically California's) are overcrowded. No room at the inn. :contract:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on October 10, 2011, 11:13:21 AM
There's no room in California prisons.  It is cheaper by far to put them in mass graves.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.