Main Menu

WW1 Gold - new patch, PBEM mode introduced

Started by Tamas, October 09, 2011, 01:41:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

New official patch is out.

Various bug and scenario fixes, but there are 3 things which I would note:

-bug letting the German AI zerg ROTW areas fixed
-bug making the strictly-turn-based (ie. original boardgame rules) AI being passive fixed
-PBEM mode introduced. There were some people (even a 4 players group) testing this successfully during open beta, so it works. It is like the other AGEOD PBEMs a bit file-exchange heavy, but with TCP/IP still very prone to falling out of synch, this is the best MP way

I imagine this must be pretty cheap nowadays. Go and buy it. If you have it, patch it and try it again, in the strictly turn based mode (but for the love of God play it in the 2 players campaign, the boardgame was meant to be played that way, don't fuck around)

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on October 09, 2011, 01:59:49 PM
No thx, your opinion is pretty useless.

We are lucky we have you around on this forum then.

Ed Anger

Still trying to polish this turd? Good for you.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Tamas

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 09, 2011, 03:05:45 PM

You tried/bought the pre-gold version, right? That's what I am trying to tell you: there has been huge improvements since then. BTW there is patch for the demo as well (though yeah, you have to install then patch the demo).

I keep bringing this game up because I played enough with some people here to feel they would like it if they were to learn the rules and how it works. And no other game comes close to simulating WW1 this well. Yes, too bad it is doing it through an interface which needs some serious getting-used-to, but still.

The Brain

Is this the game where they tilted the map at first?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tamas

Quote from: The Brain on October 10, 2011, 08:15:27 AM
Is this the game where they tilted the map at first?

Yes, but retreated from it in the Gold edition. Made it brighter, too.

Razgovory

Quote from: Tamas on October 10, 2011, 12:23:34 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on October 09, 2011, 03:05:45 PM

You tried/bought the pre-gold version, right? That's what I am trying to tell you: there has been huge improvements since then. BTW there is patch for the demo as well (though yeah, you have to install then patch the demo).

I keep bringing this game up because I played enough with some people here to feel they would like it if they were to learn the rules and how it works. And no other game comes close to simulating WW1 this well. Yes, too bad it is doing it through an interface which needs some serious getting-used-to, but still.

I could barely get the damned game to work.  It was optimized for an operating system that had been discontinued years ago.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

I am heavily into WW1 at the moment, yet I hesitate to get this. :hmm:

Tamas

Quote from: The Brain on November 29, 2011, 03:35:41 PM

Do not. I am not hiding that it has a steep learning curve. But it is a great simulation behind the cluncky interface with a decent AI.

Just make sure you get the latest patch from the ageod forums.

Strategic Command WW1 is an alternative and it is a nice game, but it is actually slower, with a lot less simulation value.

szmik

Quote from: Tamas on November 29, 2011, 03:56:40 PM

..... But it is a great simulation behind the cluncky interface with a decent AI.
I would actually like it, if not for terrible AI.
Quote from: Neil on September 23, 2011, 08:41:24 AM
That's why Martinus, for all his spending on the trappings of wealth and taste, will never really have class.  He's just trying too hard to be something he isn't (an intelligent, tasteful gentleman), trying desperately to hide what he is (Polish trash with money and a severe behavioral disorder), and it shows in everything he says and does.  He's not our equal, not by a mile.

Tamas

Quote from: szmik on November 30, 2011, 12:46:03 PM
Quote from: Tamas on November 29, 2011, 03:56:40 PM

..... But it is a great simulation behind the cluncky interface with a decent AI.
I would actually like it, if not for terrible AI.

is not. Patch it, dude, latest (and probably last) is 1.08O or something, you can get it from the forum

The Brain

I bought it. I'm rich enough that I can be crazy like that.

Tamas

The Brain

OK the map scrolling and mouse cursor are slow as fuck. What's up?