Main Menu

WW1 Gold - new patch, PBEM mode introduced

Started by Tamas, October 09, 2011, 01:41:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tamas

Quote from: KRonn on December 03, 2011, 03:46:58 PM
I've been liking the game pretty well. But it crashes a dozen or so turns into the game, in the couple of games I've played. Seems when I get some kind of events happening, but hard to say.    :hmm:

UAC perhaps? Try running the exe as administrator (right-click on it).
Or maybe you have a single core CPU?

KRonn

Ah well, too bad. Game is nearly unplayable it seems. It will stop between turns, saying the AI is taking its turn, and nothing happens. I can't escape out or anything. Sometimes the AI finishes, but sometimes afer five or more minutes nothing is happening. I did run it by right clicking on the start icon, selecting to run as admin. You mentioned turning off UAC. I wouldn't think UAC has to be turned off to play the game?

Tamas

Quote from: KRonn on December 03, 2011, 10:37:45 PM
Ah well, too bad. Game is nearly unplayable it seems. It will stop between turns, saying the AI is taking its turn, and nothing happens. I can't escape out or anything. Sometimes the AI finishes, but sometimes afer five or more minutes nothing is happening. I did run it by right clicking on the start icon, selecting to run as admin. You mentioned turning off UAC. I wouldn't think UAC has to be turned off to play the game?

Running as administrator should solve that, but I do remember this was a major pain-point for some people, and turning UAC off completely solved it. Also if you are having this problem, make sure that AI logging is turned off in the configurator (altough it should be by default IIRC), as it is logged in html files and that can piss off some antivirus softwares for some reason.

So yeah, turn UAC off, it is a travesty anyway :P

edit: yeah, even in the 1.0.8O thread someone had problems until he turned UAC off.

Razgovory

Quote from: KRonn on December 03, 2011, 10:37:45 PM

For this one it does.  For me the game just didn't work with UAC on.  It didn't work that well without it.  For me the whole game ran like shit.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

KRonn

Running as administrator should solve that, but I do remember this was a major pain-point for some people, and turning UAC off completely solved it. Also if you are having this problem, make sure that AI logging is turned off in the configurator (altough it should be by default IIRC), as it is logged in html files and that can piss off some antivirus softwares for some reason.

I saw some of these suggestions on the AGEOD fourm. I did turn off AI logging, but that was in the middle of a game, so maybe issues were already there. I also used the trash can in the options menu, which clears out AI memory files or something like that, which can cause problems if it gets too large.

Other people reported they had issues with crashes still, though a lot less frequently. I'll be trying it again with more of the suggestions.

Tamas

Berkut

I think it is perfectly reasonable for a game developer to require the user to modify the configuration of his operating system in order to keep his software from crashing all the time.

Oh wait, no I don't.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Tamas

Quote from: Berkut on December 04, 2011, 11:41:29 AM
I think it is perfectly reasonable for a game developer to require the user to modify the configuration of his operating system in order to keep his software from crashing all the time.

Oh wait, no I don't.

well yeah. however, unless you are not paying attention on what the hell are you clicking on the Internets, UAC is pretty useless and annoying for most users.

sbr

Do you all still install games in the Program Files folder in Vista/Win7?

KRonn

Quote from: sbr on December 04, 2011, 12:57:36 PM
I installed this game in a separate C:\Games folder, not in the Program Files folder. I try to install most games that way.

I didn't know that at first with Vista, and installing games in the Program Files folder makes things a bit messy for finding save files, etc.

Tamas

Quote from: KRonn on December 04, 2011, 01:13:46 PM
Quote from: sbr on December 04, 2011, 12:57:36 PM
I installed this game in a separate C:\Games folder, not in the Program Files folder. I try to install most games that way.

I didn't know that at first with Vista, and installing games in the Program Files folder makes things a bit messy for finding save files, etc.

As a general rule of thumb, I would keep a separate partion for the operating system. Makes for much less pain when said OS needs to be reinstalled

Razgovory

Quote from: Berkut on December 04, 2011, 11:41:29 AM

Oh wait, no I don't.

Well it's really made for a operating system that had been discontinued years after the game was released.  Which is a novel way to go about things.  Perhaps for the next game they can optimize it for windows 95.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Cecil

Decided to give this a spin and I must have been seriously the luckiest guy ever in the early August turn.

I went with Diplomatic poker/ultimatum accepted and decided to concentrate on Russia via the Moltke/Kaiser plan combo. Not only did I get a Italy war dec on the CP side but Britain didnt join the Entente (so far at least). In october now and have rebuffed the French offensive in A-L and captured Marseilles in southern France while I´m about to bag the entirety of Poland in a huge pincer cutting off 3 or 4 Russian armies. Losses have been a bit high though. Serbia is getting overrun since I could redeploy the VII and VIII armies from the Italian front to the Danube and Galizia respectively and 2 armies is enough to chew them up badly.

Diplomatically I´m getting close to get the Ottomans into the alliance which should nab me Bulgaria as well. Bulgaria will help in Romania which is close as well. Much of my diplomatic clout is spent in Britain though fighting to keep them from deccing me for as long as possible. Played the diplomats events in the first turn who get me a 3 and a2 rank diplomat and those guys really help with that. Greece could swing either way but if OE/Bulgaria/Romania swing CP I should be able to keep them at least neutral. Thats what the info indicates anyway. Tamas, have some info on what happens regarding to events when the balkan nation joins either side?

Tamas

The classic alt-hist scenario :) Lucky on Italy indeed, if you did not choose the Austrian concessions in Tirol. With those, it is much easier to get the Italians going.

I think you misunderstood the Balkan minors: if for example Bulgaria joins the CP, Romania moves one or two steps toward the Entente! I am not sure if the actual modifiers on this are in the manual or not, but they are in the boardgame rules' diplomacy booklet which is available from the official forum, and you could alternatively decipher the csv file governing these (it's a shame this game never got off the ground as almost everything is moddable - a Balkan Wars scenario with event chains would be in text-editing range but who would bother).
Point is, every nation who can potentially join the conflict in Europe reacts to developments. eg. if the Ottomans join a side, Bulgaria and Greece move two steps toward the other side, Romania moves one. If Italy joins a side, the Turks move toward the other etc.

But beside that, there are lots of drms and other rules. There is the concept of "pro-CP" or "pro-Entente" which is a big boost toward the given side. And that's not all as some countries can gain or lose such pro- stances. Like if the Entente player gets the "promise Macedonia to Bulgaria" political decision through, Bulgaria loses it's pro-cp allegiance IIRC, while Greece gets majorly pissed obviously. And there is the D'anuzzio or whoever rule for Italy which basically makes the pro-stance of Italy completely random in each diplomatic phase, until near the edges it gets locked one way or the other. Not to mention that Italy and Romania start with random diplomatic value (within a range, which is fairly wide, 1-6, for the ROMAnians).