News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

WW1 Gold - new patch, PBEM mode introduced

Started by Tamas, October 09, 2011, 01:41:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KRonn

So Tamas, the game seems o me to have pretty good depth to it, but not overwhelming. And it's good that you need some research, like with aircraft, before you can just do everything, as is probably more accurate.

Tamas

Quote from: KRonn on December 02, 2011, 04:49:10 PM
So Tamas, the game seems o me to have pretty good depth to it, but not overwhelming. And it's good that you need some research, like with aircraft, before you can just do everything, as is probably more accurate.

Yes it has great depth, and I haven't even told about political actions, diplomacy, and great offensives durings trench warfare.

But I dont want to mislead you here: the game is a one man project and it shows where it usually shows for wargames: the interface. I can go around in it with no problems but I have been with the game since early beta.
I am not saying the interface is a barrier for learning the game (look for tooltips btw, if you purchase), but it is sure as hell not helping you to learn it.
But under that hood is the best WW1 simulation out there, computer and board games included.

KRonn

Downloaded the game, and installing now. Do I need the Upgrade Install kit? It's an additional cost. Or is there a free patch? I also saw a 1.7 patch, I think it was.

Never mind. I must have the latest version, since I just downloaded it. The kit and 1.7 are to upgrade to the Gold edition.

KRonn

So what is this DivX plus, and PC tools it's just loading onto my computer? I don't have an option to say no to these.  :huh:

Tamas

Quote from: KRonn on December 02, 2011, 06:12:24 PM
Downloaded the game, and installing now. Do I need the Upgrade Install kit? It's an additional cost. Or is there a free patch? I also saw a 1.7 patch, I think it was.

Never mind. I must have the latest version, since I just downloaded it. The kit and 1.7 are to upgrade to the Gold edition.

I hope you did buy the Gold version!

For that, I linked the latest patch here, in reply to a post of The Brain. You definetly must apply that patch. IIRC last of the known bugs were eliminated by it.

Tamas

Quote from: KRonn on December 02, 2011, 06:20:09 PM
So what is this DivX plus, and PC tools it's just loading onto my computer? I don't have an option to say no to these.  :huh:

for playing the intro video or whatnot. Don't worry.

KRonn

I already have 1.0.8 version, so I should be good with the latest update.

I selected to load map at start, added to mouse sensitivity, and use monitor resolution. That's about it. Now to check it out. Well, read some of the directions maybe too.   :)

Ideologue

Quote from: Tamas on December 02, 2011, 01:39:57 PM
Air units are attached to HQs, and you select the mission for them on the menu of the HQ. There is a roll to be made, and it is very very heavily influenced by the attributes of the planes, which in turn are mostly decided by the various air-related techs. So don't expect to be flying CAS missions regularly until you built some decent 1916s airplanes and invented some stuff. You are better off sticking to recons in the early game. When planes end up performing missions around the same place, an air battle may ensue. Occasionally, an Ace would surface from one of these battles.

But can I dump phosgene on London from a zeppelin?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Tamas

Quote from: KRonn on December 02, 2011, 06:33:19 PM
I already have 1.0.8 version, so I should be good with the latest update.

I selected to load map at start, added to mouse sensitivity, and use monitor resolution. That's about it. Now to check it out. Well, read some of the directions maybe too.   :)

Yeah but the patches were 1.0.8lettercode :P Download the 1.0.8O patch.

It was in a making for a quite a while, and it was the one that eliminated two very ugly bugs: one was that the German AI could get around shipping stuff to Africa, the other was the too much passivity of the AI in the turn-based mode

Tamas

Quote from: Ideologue on December 03, 2011, 01:44:41 AM
Quote from: Tamas on December 02, 2011, 01:39:57 PM
Air units are attached to HQs, and you select the mission for them on the menu of the HQ. There is a roll to be made, and it is very very heavily influenced by the attributes of the planes, which in turn are mostly decided by the various air-related techs. So don't expect to be flying CAS missions regularly until you built some decent 1916s airplanes and invented some stuff. You are better off sticking to recons in the early game. When planes end up performing missions around the same place, an air battle may ensue. Occasionally, an Ace would surface from one of these battles.

But can I dump phosgene on London from a zeppelin?

There are zeppelins and IIRC there are strategic missions against cities, yes :P

KRonn

Thanks again Tamas. I got the latest 1.0.8O patch.

I've been playing a bit before that patch, and so far it's been ok, though I haven't gotten very far. Bit of a good learning curve, as you say. Now to play with the latest patch.  :)

The Brain

How ironic that the last patch has finally died.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tamas

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

KRonn

I've been liking the game pretty well. But it crashes a dozen or so turns into the game, in the couple of games I've played. Seems when I get some kind of events happening, but hard to say.    :hmm: