News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Taleban Jews

Started by viper37, October 07, 2011, 10:39:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Siege on October 12, 2011, 03:38:31 PM
What makes you think they are the traditional jews?

Because they say so.  I think it was a representative of the Hasidim (might have been another Orthodox group) who said "we didn't change, the others are changing".  I interpret that as them being traditional.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on October 12, 2011, 04:21:33 PM
Quote from: Siege on October 12, 2011, 03:38:31 PM
What makes you think they are the traditional jews?

Might be the bad word.  Meaning the guys who wear the beards, the hats, the long hair vs the Jews who look like anyone around them.
Those who do their best to look different: traditional.  Those who do their best to blend in: others.

There are many distinct Jewish groups, but I do not know them all, nor do I know all of their clothing habits.

The guys with the funny clothing are ultra-Orthodox.

Basically, that funny clothing is not some sort of Jew costume, it is simply different varieties of clothing that people in general happen to have been wearing when the Jewish sect in question happened to form (and fossilize):

http://www.orthodox-jews.com/orthodox-jewish-clothing.html#axzz1abZl1aLJ

So some groups wear what a 19th century Lithuanian would have worn, others the sort of fur hat an 18th century Polish nobleman would have worn, etc.

It is as if some group of Christians formed of '60s Jesus Freaks decided that henceforth everyone in their sect and all their descendants were going to dress in '60s oufits, forever. In a couple of centuries, their descendants would look remarkably odd.

Most non-ultra-Orthodox consider that stuff crazy and as having nothing whatever to do with "Judaism".
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on October 12, 2011, 04:31:27 PM
It is as if some group of Christians formed of '60s Jesus Freaks decided that henceforth everyone in their sect and all their descendants were going to dress in '60s oufits, forever. In a couple of centuries, their descendants would look remarkably odd.
Kinda like the Amish.
Thanks for the link on the outfit.  Funny enough, there was this ad at the top of the page :D

Most non-ultra-Orthodox consider that stuff crazy and as having nothing whatever to do with "Judaism".
I figured that.  IIRC, they avoid marrying with other Jews?

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: viper37 on October 12, 2011, 04:21:33 PM
Because they say so.  I think it was a representative of the Hasidim (might have been another Orthodox group) who said "we didn't change, the others are changing".  I interpret that as them being traditional.

See Malthus comments.
Not sure what kind of clothing Moses and King David might have worn but my guess is that they didn't dress like 18th century Ukranian fur merchants.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on October 12, 2011, 06:13:24 PM
Kinda like the Amish.

Yup, similar deal.

QuoteThanks for the link on the outfit.  Funny enough, there was this ad at the top of the page :D

For the fashionable Hassid.  ;)

I figured that.  IIRC, they avoid marrying with other Jews?

Yup.

Plus the other way around! Who would *want* to marry a practicing Hassid, if they weren't one?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on October 13, 2011, 02:20:15 PM
Plus the other way around! Who would *want* to marry a practicing Hassid, if they weren't one?
You never know... There are occidental women marrying strict Mulsims and wearing a veil.  So why not?  I suppose one could convert/adopt the religious practice.  Or one could abandon his/her religion, but then I guess they have to cut all family ties, I suppose?

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on October 13, 2011, 04:32:59 PM
You never know... There are occidental women marrying strict Mulsims and wearing a veil.  So why not?  I suppose one could convert/adopt the religious practice.  Or one could abandon his/her religion, but then I guess they have to cut all family ties, I suppose?

There used to be a bit of an "orientalist" fetish for Arabs - you know, the "Desert Song", Rudolf Valentino in "the Son of the Sheik", that sort of thing. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Son_of_the_Sheik

This strain of Western culture makes Arab men out to be dashing, exotic and romantic. These are not traits our culture assigns to Hasidic men.  ;)

dps

Quote from: Malthus on October 13, 2011, 05:00:05 PM
Quote from: viper37 on October 13, 2011, 04:32:59 PM

There used to be a bit of an "orientalist" fetish for Arabs - you know, the "Desert Song", Rudolf Valentino in "the Son of the Sheik", that sort of thing. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Son_of_the_Sheik

This strain of Western culture makes Arab men out to be dashing, exotic and romantic. These are not traits our culture assigns to Hasidic men.  ;)

OTOH, the popular depiction of Hasidic men is that they are wealthy jewel dealers, and women are certainly attracted to wealthy  men.