Help me buy a new computer

Started by Monoriu, October 07, 2011, 02:47:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

Thanks a ton BB.  In particular for not persuading me to buy a Mac  ;)

Barrister

Quote from: Monoriu on October 07, 2011, 08:55:05 AM
Thanks a ton BB.  In particular for not persuading me to buy a Mac  ;)

Marti got to it first. :(

Seriously though - because Apple designs the entire system, and because noise is the kind of thing they do care about, Macs are extremely quiet.  My Mac Pro doesn't make a sound other than drive noise (once I got rid of the noisy 8800GT) - and if I switched to a SSD HD it's be even quieter.

You can even install Windows on it if you wish.  I've heard of people doing exactly that - buying a Mac, then only having Windows on it.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Monoriu

Quote from: Barrister on October 07, 2011, 09:00:20 AM

You can even install Windows on it if you wish.  I've heard of people doing exactly that - buying a Mac, then only having Windows on it.

Actually, that is something that I am willing to explore.  My single biggest problem with macs is that they don't have windows and I ABSOLUTELY CANNOT live with the mac OS. 

But I suspect that the price will be a deal breaker anyway. 

Barrister

Not for what you're willing to pay.

$1699 would get you a 27" iMac, 2.7GHz Quad i5 processor, 1TB HDD, Radeon 6770M graphics, 4GB RAM.

Remember to add in the cost of Windows.

Monoriu

Quote from: Barrister on October 07, 2011, 09:13:09 AM
Not for what you're willing to pay.

$1699 would get you a 27" iMac, 2.7GHz Quad i5 processor, 1TB HDD, Radeon 6770M graphics, 4GB RAM.

Remember to add in the cost of Windows.

Forget it. 

Though, in this part of the world, the cost of windows is...not a concern :shifty:

Grey Fox

Windows 8 is going to suck for Mono.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Monoriu

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 07, 2011, 09:27:48 AM

There is a new version coming out?  What's wrong with it?  :unsure:

DGuller

Quote from: Monoriu on October 07, 2011, 09:17:24 AM
Though, in this part of the world, the cost of windows is...not a concern :shifty:
What part of the world is this, Hungary?

Monoriu

Quote from: DGuller on October 07, 2011, 09:32:13 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on October 07, 2011, 09:17:24 AM
What part of the world is this, Hungary?

The land of the free  ;)

Grey Fox

Quote from: Monoriu on October 07, 2011, 09:31:49 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on October 07, 2011, 09:27:48 AM

There is a new version coming out?  What's wrong with it?  :unsure:

Eventually. I expect it'll be late 2012. Because microsoft is making sure that windows slowly creeps towards looking like Mac & a lot like iOS.

DGuller

This is just a research question for now, but how far off Macs are from being a high quality heavy-duty gaming rig?  I have to say that after getting iPad, and seeing the quality of design and thinking that goes into it, I no longer reject the concept of owning a Mac out of hand.  However, it would be useless to me if it can't do heavy duty gaming without compatibility or performance issues.

Grey Fox

Quote from: DGuller on October 07, 2011, 12:02:16 PM
This is just a research question for now, but how far off Macs are from being a high quality heavy-duty gaming rig?  I have to say that after getting iPad, and seeing the quality of design and thinking that goes into it, I no longer reject the concept of owning a Mac out of hand.  However, it would be useless to me if it can't do heavy duty gaming without compatibility or performance issues.

On macOS? None.

You going to need to install Windows & then, well it's like owning a regular Windows machine.

Barrister

Quote from: DGuller on October 07, 2011, 12:02:16 PM

As pointed out, there are still very few games being released for OS X (and many of those which are are several months late).

If you go into Bootcamp though...

If your mark is "high quality heavy duty" gaming rig, the answer is still probably no. 

When you go Mac, you're limited in the options for graphics cards, which is usually the biggest factor in gaming performance.  Take my Mac Pro, for example - the biggest baddest vid card out there I can get is an Radeon 5870, which has been out for 2+ years already.  If you go iMac The best vid card you can get is a Radeon 6970M - which is a laptop graphics card, albeit a good one.

But if you want merely a "good" gaming rig, the Mac is just fine.  My Mac Pro with 5770 (which isn't the big bad 5870) runs most games at max settings, and runs all games I throw at it at more than acceptable settings.  I believe all but the lowest end MacBooks have discrete graphics cards which provide good performance.

I think Macs of all shapes are incredibly well designed machines in their own right, even putting aside OS X, so there's some merit to buying one even if you're going to just put Windows on it.  But if you want a cheap computer that won't work (Apple doesn't make cheap crap), and if you want the absolute highest end it won't work (Apple upgrades on their own schedule).

Monoriu

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 07, 2011, 10:28:56 AM

Eventually. I expect it'll be late 2012. Because microsoft is making sure that windows slowly creeps towards looking like Mac & a lot like iOS.

This is a tragedy for mankind :weep:

I don't understand.  Windows, as far as I am concerned, is not far from being perfect.  If it isn't broken, don't fix it. 

Monoriu

Quote from: Barrister on October 07, 2011, 12:18:21 PM

When you go Mac, you're limited in the options for graphics cards, which is usually the biggest factor in gaming performance.  Take my Mac Pro, for example - the biggest baddest vid card out there I can get is an Radeon 5870, which has been out for 2+ years already.  If you go iMac The best vid card you can get is a Radeon 6970M - which is a laptop graphics card, albeit a good one.

Thanks for giving me excellent arguments never to buy a mac :contract:  These are actually useful because my wife is a huge Apple fan, and she tries her utmost to convince me to go mac  :sleep: