News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

R.I.P. Steve Jobs

Started by Caliga, October 05, 2011, 06:55:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

The Mac had an eject button; it was just an innie instead of an outie.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Neil

Quote from: Fate on October 06, 2011, 08:49:55 AM
:lol: I love that article. Jobs tries, but fails to convince the interviewer that the mouse (described as a box with a button ) is this revolutionary advancement, affordable personal computers ($1000) will one day be a reality, and that in the future will be this awesome system of interconnected networks. The man really saw it all coming.
It's not so much that Jobs saw it all coming as it was a case of a computer pro dealing with a layman.  It's not like mice and networking weren't around in 1985, and the computer had been becoming smaller, cheaper and more powerful for years.  Now if he had said that he was going to make billions marketing lap- and hand-sized computers to hipster douchebags, I would be more impressed.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

So I'm reading that Jobs article and I see a small section where Jobs brings up Dr. Edwin Land, who founded Polaroid.  He talks about how Polaroid was one of the biggest, most vibrant companies at one point.

Quote from: Steve Jobsbut eventually Dr. Land, one of those brilliant troublemakers, was asked to leave his own company - which is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard of

:lol:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

Quote from: Neil on October 06, 2011, 03:16:36 PM
:lol: I love that article. Jobs tries, but fails to convince the interviewer that the mouse (described as a box with a button ) is this revolutionary advancement, affordable personal computers ($1000) will one day be a reality, and that in the future will be this awesome system of interconnected networks. The man really saw it all coming.
It's not so much that Jobs saw it all coming as it was a case of a computer pro dealing with a layman.  It's not like mice and networking weren't around in 1985, and the computer had been becoming smaller, cheaper and more powerful for years.  Now if he had said that he was going to make billions marketing lap- and hand-sized computers to hipster douchebags, I would be more impressed.

The big problem with early home computers was not they to weak, large or expensive but because nobody knew how to use them.  It wasn't until easy to use operating systems came along did home computing really take off.  The second big problem was that early personal computers didn't do a great deal that interested the average person.  Spreadsheets and word processing were neat but for the average person that was just a fancy and expensive note book.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Quote from: Barrister on October 06, 2011, 03:41:15 PM
So I'm reading that Jobs article and I see a small section where Jobs brings up Dr. Edwin Land, who founded Polaroid.  He talks about how Polaroid was one of the biggest, most vibrant companies at one point.

Quote from: Steve Jobsbut eventually Dr. Land, one of those brilliant troublemakers, was asked to leave his own company - which is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard of

:lol:
Damn, I was about to post that very same quote.  :mad:  I guess there is one development that Steve Jobs didn't see coming.

Malthus

Quote from: Razgovory on October 06, 2011, 04:00:09 PM
Quote from: Neil on October 06, 2011, 03:16:36 PM

The big problem with early home computers was not they to weak, large or expensive but because nobody knew how to use them.  It wasn't until easy to use operating systems came along did home computing really take off.  The second big problem was that early personal computers didn't do a great deal that interested the average person.  Spreadsheets and word processing were neat but for the average person that was just a fancy and expensive note book.

Heh I feel positively ancient - I used to write out essays and assignments by hand in pen, do all the proofs and corrections, and then type them up on a typewriter! 

Compared to that, word processing (when it came out) was a real revelation.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

No kidding, I think people really underestimate how much easier things became with spreedsheets and wordprocessing.  That alone was worth the price of admission - plus you could play games!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Malthus on October 06, 2011, 04:40:06 PM
Heh I feel positively ancient - I used to write out essays and assignments by hand in pen, do all the proofs and corrections, and then type them up on a typewriter! 

I wrote out lots of essays and assignments by hand. Course then I turned that copy in. By the time teachers started demanding stuff be typed out, my family had a computer. And then I would compose it on the computer. I was never big on multiple drafts.  :blush:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Malthus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 06, 2011, 04:55:35 PM
Quote from: Malthus on October 06, 2011, 04:40:06 PM

I wrote out lots of essays and assignments by hand. Course then I turned that copy in. By the time teachers started demanding stuff be typed out, my family had a computer. And then I would compose it on the computer. I was never big on multiple drafts.  :blush:

Well, I guess that would suffice if you were (a) the sort of organized genius who could keep a whole essay in your head and write it out without making a mistake or (b) willing to hand in a crappy first draft, and take the consequences.   ;)

I was always lazy, but nonetheless anal about my written work - I hated to hand in anything that wasn't as polished as I could make it. In fact for big assignments I'd do yet another first step - index cards with major points and cites written on them, so I could move 'em around manually ...

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: Martinus on October 06, 2011, 05:05:04 PM
The Onion: Apple User Acting Like His Dad Just Fucking Died

Will you fuckers posting Onion articles cut and paste the damn things? The site now wants me to pay, and I'm a cheap bastard.  :P

Martinus

Quote from: Malthus on October 06, 2011, 05:08:00 PM
Quote from: Martinus on October 06, 2011, 05:05:04 PM
The Onion: Apple User Acting Like His Dad Just Fucking Died

Will you fuckers posting Onion articles cut and paste the damn things? The site now wants me to pay, and I'm a cheap bastard.  :P

Same here - I manage to read individual lines and just move back and forth before the "pay or leave" thingie kicks in. :P

Razgovory

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 06, 2011, 04:46:27 PM
No kidding, I think people really underestimate how much easier things became with spreedsheets and wordprocessing.  That alone was worth the price of admission - plus you could play games!

That is why people originally bought them in the early 1980's.  Still, most people didn't do a lot of writing or number crunching in their personal lives.  They payed bills, balanced a checkbook, and did their taxes, but that was the jist of it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017