And we're back!

Main Menu

Russia making a new move on Georgia?

Started by Weatherman, April 23, 2009, 07:10:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on April 24, 2009, 04:25:44 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on April 24, 2009, 04:20:11 PM
I disagree.  Given the situation I think he has been very impressive.

:lmfao:

When you lower expectations enough (or eliminate them altogether), anything is impressive.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Sheilbh

Quote from: derspiess on April 24, 2009, 04:31:33 PM
When you lower expectations enough (or eliminate them altogether), anything is impressive.
I think I've posted my concerns.  But yeah I think your stands and expectations change when you're in the middle of a crisis.  I was impressed with Paulson and Bush, I think Bernanke's doing a good job and, given the situation, I think Obama is.  On the other hand I think Jean-Claude Trichet (ECB?) hasn't, that Brown, generally hasn't (though Mandelson and King have), that Merkel hasn't.

Sarko knows no boundaries of quality, but he's played his part very well.

Edit: Thinking it through the only world leader who I think has dealt with the situation better is Hu Jintao and he doesn't have to deal with the mess that is democracy.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

True. I suppose if my expectation was simply that our nation and the world won't cease to exist under his presidency, things are looking okay. :cool:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Queequeg

Quote from: garbon on April 24, 2009, 05:18:18 PM

True. I suppose if my expectation was simply that our nation and the world won't cease to exist under his presidency, things are looking okay. :cool:
Congratulations, you are now Alan Keys. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Neil

Quote from: Queequeg on April 24, 2009, 05:32:42 PM
Quote from: garbon on April 24, 2009, 05:18:18 PM

Congratulations, you are now Alan Keys.
You're a racist.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: garbon on April 24, 2009, 04:08:40 PM
Honestly, let's not really start up the experience bit again. After all, we can't say that Obam has actually been hugely impressive. :(
I disagree.  Given the situation I think he has been very impressive.  I genuinely can't think of a world leader who seems to be handling the crisis as well :mellow:
Steven Harper.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Neil on April 24, 2009, 05:55:13 PM
Quote from: garbon on April 24, 2009, 04:08:40 PM
Honestly, let's not really start up the experience bit again. After all, we can't say that Obam has actually been hugely impressive. :(
I disagree.  Given the situation I think he has been very impressive.  I genuinely can't think of a world leader who seems to be handling the crisis as well :mellow:
Steven Harper.
Canada's banks haven't been collapsing, have they?
Let's bomb Russia!

Neil

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 24, 2009, 05:56:36 PM
Quote from: Neil on April 24, 2009, 05:55:13 PM
Steven Harper.
Canada's banks haven't been collapsing, have they?
Thanks to Harper's top-flight leadership, we've managed to avoid a banking collapse.

You would kill for a prime minister of Harper's quality, as opposed to poor, dismal Gordon Brown.

Razgovory

Quote from: Berkut on April 24, 2009, 08:52:26 AM
Quote from: DisturbedPervert on April 24, 2009, 08:45:52 AM
QuoteAnd in recent weeks, it has put even more soldiers and armored vehicles within striking distance of the city ahead of street protests against Georgia's president.

This might be fun.  A few Russian plants foment violence, Georgia cracks down on protesters to restore peace, and Russian forces roll in to liberate.     :ph34r:

It is all georgias fault. Russia is just there to protect her own citizens!

There is clear precedent for this, btw.

See: Austria, 1936. Poland, 1939.

Sometimes you just don't have any choice but to invade and conquer neighboring sovereign nations.

What happened in Austria in 1936?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017