Assad: Syria will shower Tel Aviv with rockets if attacked by foreign powers

Started by jimmy olsen, October 04, 2011, 07:42:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Somehow I don't think that would end well.  :hmm:

http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/assad-syria-will-shower-tel-aviv-with-rockets-if-attacked-by-foreign-powers-1.388135

QuoteAssad: Syria will shower Tel Aviv with rockets if attacked by foreign powers

Iranian news agency quotes remarks made by Syrian president during August meeting with Turkish FM; Assad: It will take Damascus 6 hours to mobilize against Israel.

By Haaretz Tags: Arab Spring Syria Bashar Assad

Syria will strike Israel and "set fire" to the Middle East if foreign forces choose to launch a military strike on the protest-ridden country, the Iranian news agency Fars quoted Syrian President Bashar Assad as saying on Tuesday, referring to remarks made by the Syrian leader during a meeting with Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu last August.

During a meeting with the Turkish FM, the Fars report claimed, Assad indicated that Syria would not hesitate to strike major Israeli cities if it was attacked.

"If a crazy measure is taken against Damascus, I will need not more than 6 hours to transfer hundreds of rockets and missiles to the Golan Heights to fire them at Tel Aviv," Assad said.

Are these just empty threats? Visit Haaretz.com on Facebook and share your views.

In addition, Fars reported that the Syrian president told the Turkish FM that he would also call on Hezbollah in Lebanon to launch a rocket attack on Israel, adding: "All these events will happen in three hours, but in the second three hours, Iran will attack the U.S. warships in the Persian Gulf and the U.S. and European interests will be targeted simultaneously."

Assad's comments to the Turkish FM came after Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan said earlier Tuesday he would set out his country's plans for sanctions against Syria after he visits a Syrian refugee camp near the border in the coming days.

The move heralds a further deterioration in previously friendly relations between Ankara and Damascus since the start of Assad's crackdown on protesters.

"Regarding sanctions, we will make an assessment and announce our road map after the visit to Hatay in southern Turkey, setting out the steps," Erdogan told reporters, adding he expected to visit the region at the weekend or the start of next week.

Some 7,000 Syrians have taken refuge in camps established in Hatay, in flight from President Assad's security forces.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Jacob

If the enemy of my enemy is my friend, does this have the potential to create friendship between Syrian democrats and Israel?

Siege

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 04, 2011, 07:42:58 PM
"If a crazy measure is taken against Damascus, I will need not more than 6 hours to transfer hundreds of rockets and missiles to the Golan Heights to fire them at Tel Aviv," Assad said.

Six Hours? Is he asking for a Six Hours War?
Does he knows what Israel can do to Syria in 6 whole hours?

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

Quote from: Siege on October 04, 2011, 08:10:23 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 04, 2011, 07:42:58 PM
Six Hours? Is he asking for a Six Hours War?
Does he knows what Israel can do to Syria in 6 whole hours?
Get put in a position where they get sanctions put on them and are forced to back down once and for all, or else end up like Japan in WWII?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

jimmy olsen

Maybe he should aim those missiles at Ankara instead?  :hmm:

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/10/04/world/meast/turkey-syria-relations/index.html?hpt=wo_c2

QuoteIstanbul (CNN) -- As relations continue to deteriorate between neighbors Turkey and Syria, the Turkish armed forces announced Tuesday it will conduct a weeklong series of military exercises in a province along the Syrian border.

The objectives of the Yildirim ("lightning bolt") exercise include establishing coordination between military and civilian institutions and "testing of mutual activities performed during mobilization and war times," according to a statement on the Turkish Armed Forces website.

Some Middle East experts immediately interpreted the announcement as a warning to Damascus.

"Turkey is sending a signal to Syria," said Lale Kemal, a defense expert and Ankara bureau chief with the Turkish newspaper Taraf.

"The irony is that it was only a few years ago as part of improved relations that Turkey and Syria started joint border maneuvers."

Over the last decade, once frosty ties between Ankara and Damascus dramatically improved. The two countries signed a free trade agreement, held joint Cabinet meetings and removed visa requirements from each others' citizens.

But Turkey has watched the Syrian government's bloody crackdown on the country's six-month-old protest movement with growing concern.

More than 10,000 Syrian refugees have fled across the border to camps in Turkey in recent months, while hundreds of Syrian demonstrators suffering from gunshot wounds have been treated at Turkish hospitals.

On Tuesday, Turkey's prime minister stepped up criticism of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, his former ally. During a state visit to South Africa, Recep Tayyip Erdogan endorsed a proposed United Nations Security Council resolution that would demand Syrian security forces immediately suspend their crackdown against anti-government protesters.

"We cannot remain a mere spectator to the developments in Syria," Erdogan told television cameras. "There are serious deaths against unjustly treated, oppressed and defenseless people. We cannot say 'keep going' to this ... we have to fulfill our human task."

Erdogan also said he planned to visit Syrian refugees living in camps along the Turkish border. That expected visit is likely to coincide with the Turkish military exercises near the border.

This week, a Turkish official told CNN on condition of anonymity that Turkey was considering taking "a series of steps" against the Syrian government. For weeks, the Turkish media has speculated about the possibility of Ankara establishing military buffer zones along the border, economic sanctions and the freezing of Syrian government assets.

Meanwhile, on Sunday, Turkey hosted a group of opposition activists in Istanbul. They announced the formation of a Syrian National Council seeking to challenge the authority of the Syrian regime.

Just a few years ago, Erdogan and al-Assad smiled side by side with their wives while attending a ribbon-cutting ceremony at a Turkish shopping mall.

Now, the Turkish leader has indicated that friendship may be over.

"We have to continue our friendship based on principles," Erdogan said in South Africa, according to the semiofficial Anatolian news agency. "If these principles are broken, if they are left aside, then we also leave that friend aside."
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Josquius

Sounds like a win-win for Turkey since they:re the only ones likely to attack Syria!
██████
██████
██████

Zoupa

Turkey's really playing the game these days. Interesting.

Also, Iran won't lift a finger if shit rains down on Assad. Dude is delusional.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Tamas

Quote from: 11B4V on October 05, 2011, 02:19:12 AM
They dont ever learn. The  :Joos will fuck their world up.

If this happens I hope the :jooos: still have what it takes. I would love to live to see an arab-trouncing six days war style

Razgovory

Quote from: Tamas on October 05, 2011, 02:41:46 AM

If this happens I hope the :jooos: still have what it takes. I would love to live to see an arab-trouncing six days war style

This is unlikely.  There not a great deal Israel wants from Syria.  Airstrikes are possible (to destroy mobile missile launchers), but an invasion would be counterproductive. If the Syrians are crazy enough to put chemical warheads on some Scuds and fire them at Tel Aviv...  That would be bad.  I doubt Assad is crazy, though. 

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on October 05, 2011, 03:06:20 AM
Quote from: Tamas on October 05, 2011, 02:41:46 AM

I doubt Assad is crazy, though.

Dont know about that.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Richard Hakluyt

He's a dictator and the son of a dictator, they don't tend to turn out well  :hmm: