Main Menu

The Perfect New Languishite.

Started by mongers, April 24, 2009, 08:15:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

He'd fit in here perfectly:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/8016440.stm

QuoteFeeble country' jibe sparks row

MPs are demanding an apology over remarks made by the outspoken historian Dr David Starkey.

Dr Starkey described Scotland as a "feeble little country" and said Robert Burns was a "deeply boring provincial poet."

He made the comments on the BBC's Question Time programme after he was asked if he supported a public holiday for St George's Day.

Dr Starkey has refused to apologise and says he stands by his comments.

To boos from the audience, Dr Starkey said: "If we decide to go down this route of having an English national day, that means we become a feeble little country, just like the Scots and the Welsh and the Irish.   

"Once upon a time England was a great country. Remember we're distinguished by the fact that we don't have national dress.

"We don't make a great fuss about Shakespeare like the Scots do about that deeply boring provincial poet Burns."

He said England did not have national music "like the awful bagpipes".

"What the Scots and Welsh are, are typical small nations with a romantic 19th Century-style nationalism," he said.

After Thursday's broadcast, some viewers rang the BBC switchboard to complain, with one describing his remarks as "racist and hurtful to the Scottish people."

Another said the comments were offensive and derogatory.

'Nothing to add'

Russell Brown, Labour MP for Dumfries and Galloway, said: "This is a silly remark but one that many people will find offensive.

"Mr Starkey's apparent willingness to write off the entire nation of Scotland as 'feeble' shows that a knowledge of history doesn't make you understand the reality of modern life in different parts of the UK.

"Scots don't spend their days walking around in kilts playing the bagpipes and reciting Tam o'Shanter, but that doesn't make us any less proud of that part of our history and culture."

Brian Donohoe, Labour MP for Central Ayrshire, said: "Some people don't like Burns' poems, and there is no requirement that they should.

"But to describe Burns' vibrantly engaging work as 'boring' suggests that Dr Starkey doesn't know what he's talking about.

"His attitude and flippancy insults Scots and he should apologise. "

For the Scottish Government, Culture Minister Michael Russell said: "These are unfortunate and silly comments from someone who has a proven track record in courting controversy.

"I would be delighted to welcome Dr Starkey to Scotland so that he can discover the truth about our country and find out for himself about our rich culture and history.

"Sadly, I fear that there may be no point in extending such an invitation, as Dr Starkey seems to relish being ill-informed and does not appear to have an open mind when it comes to Scotland and what we have to offer as a nation."

A spokesman for the historian said he made the comments in an open debate and had "nothing more to add."

Seriously someone needs to invite him, he has it all, the historical bent, the gayness, odd dress sense and prickly personality.  :bowler:

*Note its worth going to the bbc page to watch the video of his remarks.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Richard Hakluyt

Yes, immensely amusing  :lol:

Notice the calls for him to apologise though, as if he had done something wrong instead of merely making some rather debateable remarks.

garbon

I've always meant to read his books.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Richard Hakluyt

Of course he's right. The celtic rabble have been inventing silly myths about their feeble countries for ages. What is new is that England has started doing the same because, of course, our days of greatness are in the past.

The older generation, I mean the one born before 1914 which was raised prior to WW1, would not have dreamed of boosting England with silly shenanigans like this. Foreigners were lesser breeds and more likely to meet with bemused pity than anything else; that self-confidence is gone now.

The Brain

So has anyone actually invited him?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: The Brain on April 25, 2009, 05:40:17 AM
So has anyone actually invited him?
He'd probably see one of Lettow's posts and run screaming from his computer.
Experience bij!

Josquius

I agree with his points.
We are England. We are the middle ground, the optimum. From England all others must vary themselves if they so wish it. By being normal they are being English.

QuoteOf course he's right. The celtic rabble have been inventing silly myths about their feeble countries for ages. What is new is that England has started doing the same because, of course, our days of greatness are in the past.
Ugh. 'Celtic'. Such a :bleeding: inducing word. A bit of a shame really as there is some interesting stuff in that part of our history but the way its abused....Ridiculous.
The Scots really should realise that the greater part of their heritage is anglo-saxon.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

He's wrong that celebrating national heritage is necessarily a sign of feebleness.  Now, I've never heard of a potential bank holiday I've not supported, but I think we should have some Bastille Day style fair.  A military parade in London, parties run by firemen, a speech by the President, lots of flags and a new inspiring national anthem.

Also he's just wrong in his assessment of Rabbie Burns <_<
Let's bomb Russia!

Richard Hakluyt

The question is though, are you offended?

To me his comments were more on the lines of an invitation for a conversation than anything else. I'm rather fond of the pipes myself  :scots:, and would have to bring up the Scottish Enlightenment and the great achievements of Scottish writers, philosphers and scientists in any serious discussion of Scotland's contribution to the world.

I despair of a world where his comments are "offensive and derogatory" and "he should apologise", he has presented an easy target, it is fairly straightforward to launch a counter-attack on his views.

clandestino

Some truth that can be applied to most "aspiring" nations:

QuoteTommy: Doesn't it make you proud to be Scottish?

Renton It's SHITE being Scottish! We're the lowest of the low. The scum of the fucking Earth! The most wretched, miserable, servile, pathetic trash that was ever shat into civilization. Some hate the English. I don't. They're just wankers. We, on the other hand, are COLONIZED by wankers. Can't even find a decent culture to be colonized BY. We're ruled by effete assholes. It's a SHITE state of affairs to be in, Tommy, and ALL the fresh air in the world won't make any fucking difference!

:scots:

Viking

I saw this thing about a swedish policeman who ran a brothel.. maybe we should invite him?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.