Wall Street protesters: We're in for the long haul

Started by garbon, October 02, 2011, 04:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OttoVonBismarck

I can't help but admit that in the academy when I read The Campaigns of Napoleon, one of my favorite parts is near the beginning in the brief biographical portion of the book in which it discusses how a young Napoleon Bonaparte disperses a Parisian mob with grapeshot.

That's what real order is about, and not something I'm entirely against seeing done.

Admiral Yi

I don't know why that translation has stuck.  Grapeshot is a naval round.  Boner fired canister. :nerd:

HVC

and didn't he fire at the people who ended up winning the revolution?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: HVC on November 23, 2011, 12:54:27 PM
and didn't he fire at the people who ended up winning the revolution?

No, he fired on members of the middle class who were trying to stage some kind of counterrevolution.  Or something like that. 

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

crazy canuck

The occupy protestors who claim to represent the 99% in Vancouver found out yesterday they need to come up with a new slogan.  After being removed from the grounds they occupied they tried to move to a public park in an area they might have thought they would recieve support.  The park is in what might be thought of as a working class and it votes heavily in favour of the NDP (or leftist party for people who dont know).

But they were greeted by residents who told the protestors in no uncertain terms to get the hell out of their park.

I have two thoughts about that.  First, I told Grallon when this all started that the day I see the middle class join the protestors then that is the day I would think this is a bona fide political movement in Canada and not just a faux protest copying the occupy movement in the US.  Again to clarify I make no comment on the occupy movement in the US since I think the circumstances in the US are very different.  The events of last night demonstrate the hope of Grallon that this signals some kind of fundamental movement in Canada is well far of the mark.

Second,  I have been very critical of the police not enforcing the law but waiting for the Courts to tell them they can move people out through the procedure of obtaining an injunction.  One of the risks of police not enforcing the law is that private individuals might feel compelled to enforce the law themselves.  It came close to that last night but eventually City officials arrived on the scene and the protestors dispersed.  I am glad nothing more serious occurred when the protestors and local residents clashed.  But I think it provides a good warning to police that they need to be more proactive.

HVC

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 23, 2011, 02:11:10 PM
The occupy protestors who claim to represent the 99% in Vancouver found out yesterday they need to come up with a new slogan.  After being removed from the grounds they occupied they tried to move to a public park in an area they might have thought they would recieve support.  The park is in what might be thought of as a working class and it votes heavily in favour of the NDP (or leftist party for people who dont know).

But they were greeted by residents who told the protestors in no uncertain terms to get the hell out of their park.

I have two thoughts about that.  First, I told Grallon when this all started that the day I see the middle class join the protestors then that is the day I would think this is a bona fide political movement in Canada and not just a faux protest copying the occupy movement in the US.  Again to clarify I make no comment on the occupy movement in the US since I think the circumstances in the US are very different.  The events of last night demonstrate the hope of Grallon that this signals some kind of fundamental movement in Canada is well far of the mark.

Second,  I have been very critical of the police not enforcing the law but waiting for the Courts to tell them they can move people out through the procedure of obtaining an injunction.  One of the risks of police not enforcing the law is that private individuals might feel compelled to enforce the law themselves.  It came close to that last night but eventually City officials arrived on the scene and the protestors dispersed.  I am glad nothing more serious occurred when the protestors and local residents clashed.  But I think it provides a good warning to police that they need to be more proactive.

If police had moved in immediately on the first night I suspect that the protestors would have garned substantial public support for their cause.  It was by waiting, letting this all play out, and seeing what their little camps turned into, which solidly (in my opinion) turned public opinion against the protestors.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

Otto's drunken rant makes me slightly more symptomatic to these idiots.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

fhdz

Quote from: Razgovory on November 23, 2011, 02:35:19 PM
Otto's drunken rant makes me slightly more symptomatic to these idiots.

:lmfao:

"sympathetic"?
and the horse you rode in on

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 23, 2011, 02:11:10 PM
The occupy protestors who claim to represent the 99% in Vancouver found out yesterday they need t

Didn't you say that in Vancouver the protesters were all well off university students?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Admiral Yi