Wall Street protesters: We're in for the long haul

Started by garbon, October 02, 2011, 04:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Josephus

Quote from: HVC on November 04, 2011, 04:12:05 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 04, 2011, 03:23:03 PM
Quote from: The Brain on November 04, 2011, 03:12:57 PM
Facebook is completely retarded.

Facebook isnt retarded, retards use facebook.
like any other form of communication it is what you make of it.

PS you're old :P

Nah, I'm his age or older. He just doesn't get it. For a guy who chats on a forum made up of anime-loving war gamers, he sure talks the talk. :D
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on November 04, 2011, 05:25:41 PM

Nah, I'm his age or older. He just doesn't get it. For a guy who chats on a forum made up of anime-loving war gamers, he sure talks the talk. :D

And all this time I have been cutting you slack because I thought you were young.

HVC

ya, but you're european. you guys stay cooler longer :P

Now that i buttered you up, how about that neices number ;) :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Jacob

Quote from: Neil on November 04, 2011, 04:48:45 PMAnd that's why the phone will never be replaced by their assorted services:  They're all predicated on being as terrible and intrusive as possible, and sending you as many ads as they possibly can in order to maximize their revenue stream.

There's not that much revenue in online ads, I don't think. Obviously a few companies might do okay, but ads are not really a driver of the evolution or most businesses. The value of intrusion is not the ads, but that the data can be used for analytics used to drive business and development strategies; people will pay money for that. Ultimately, however, it still comes down to delivering product and services.

As for the phone never being replaced - that's already underway; that's what android and iPhones are doing.

Josephus

Quote from: HVC on November 04, 2011, 05:50:36 PM

ya, but you're european. you guys stay cooler longer :P

Now that i buttered you up, how about that neices number ;) :D

Nice try... ;)
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Maximus

Neil

Quote from: Jacob on November 04, 2011, 05:51:43 PM
Quote from: Neil on November 04, 2011, 04:48:45 PMAnd that's why the phone will never be replaced by their assorted services:  They're all predicated on being as terrible and intrusive as possible, and sending you as many ads as they possibly can in order to maximize their revenue stream.
There's not that much revenue in online ads, I don't think. Obviously a few companies might do okay, but ads are not really a driver of the evolution or most businesses. The value of intrusion is not the ads, but that the data can be used for analytics used to drive business and development strategies; people will pay money for that. Ultimately, however, it still comes down to delivering product and services.
And really, that's even worse.  The ads were bad enough, but wholesale spying in the name of marketing makes me want to puke.
QuoteAs for the phone never being replaced - that's already underway; that's what android and iPhones are doing.
They're still phones, and phones still rule communications.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

crazy canuck

From today's Globe and Mail

QuoteLaurel O'Gorman is one of the faces of Occupy Toronto. She believes the capitalist system has robbed her of her future. At 28, she's studying for a master's degree in sociology at Laurentian University in Sudbury. She's also the single mother of two children. "I'm here because I don't know what kind of job I could possibly find that would allow me to pay rent, take care of these two children and pay back $600 each month in loans," she said.

Ms. O'Gorman is in a fix. But I can't help wondering whether she, and not the greedy Wall Street bankers, is the author of her own misfortune. Just what kind of jobs did she imagine are on offer for freshly minted sociology graduates? Did she bother to ask? Did it occur to her that it might be a good idea to figure out how to support her children before she had them?

She's typical in her bitter disappointment. Here's Boston resident Sarvenaz Asasy, 33, who has a master's degree in international human rights, along with $60,000 in student loans. She dreamed of doing work to help the poor get food and education. But now she can't find a job in her field. She blames the government. "They're cutting all the grants, and they're bailing out the banks. I don't get it."

Then there's John, who's pursuing a degree in environmental law. He wants to work at a non-profit. After he graduated from university, he struggled to find work. "I had to go a full year between college and law school without a job. I lived at home with my parents to make ends meet." He thinks a law degree will help, but these days, I'm not so sure.

These people make up the Occupier generation. They aspire to join the virtueocracy – the class of people who expect to find self-fulfillment (and a comfortable living) in non-profit or government work, by saving the planet, rescuing the poor and regulating the rest of us. They are what the social critic Christopher Lasch called the "new class" of "therapeutic cops in the new bureaucracy."

The trouble is, this social model no longer works. As blogger Kenneth Anderson writes, "The machine by which universities train young people to become minor regulators and then delivered them into white-collar positions on the basis of credentials in history, political science, literature, ethnic and women's studies – with or without the benefit of law school – has broken down. The supply is uninterrupted, but the demand has dried up."

It's not the greedy Wall Street bankers who destroyed these people's hopes. It's the virtueocracy itself. It's the people who constructed a benefit-heavy entitlement system whose costs can no longer be sustained. It's the politicians and union leaders who made reckless pension promises that are now bankrupting cities and states. It's the socially progressive policy-makers in the U.S. who declared that everyone, even those with no visible means of support, should be able to own a home with no money down, courtesy of their government. In Canada, it's the social progressives who assure us we can keep on consuming all the health care we want, even as the costs squeeze out other public goods.

The Occupiers are right when they say our system of wealth redistribution is broken. But they're wrong about what broke it. The richest 1 per cent are not exactly starving out the working poor. (In the U.S., half all income sent to Washington is redistributed to the elderly, sick and disabled, or to those who serve them, and nearly half the country lives in a household that's getting some sort of government benefit.) The problem is, our system redistributes the wealth from young to old, and from middle-class workers in the private sector to inefficient and expensive unions in the public sector.

Among the biggest beneficiaries of this redistribution is the higher-education industry. In Canada, we subsidize it directly. In the U.S., it's subsidized by a vast system of student loans, which have allowed colleges to jack up tuition to sky-high levels. U.S. student debt has hit the trillion-dollar mark. Both systems crank out too many sociologists and too few mechanical engineers. These days, even law-school graduates are having trouble finding work. That's because the supply has increased far faster than the demand.

The voices of Occupy Wall Street, argues Mr. Anderson and others, are the voices of the downwardly mobile who are acutely aware of their threatened social status and need someone to blame. These are people who weren't interested in just any white-collar work. They wanted to do transformational, world-saving work – which would presumably be underwritten by taxing the rich. They now face the worst job market in a generation. But their predicament is at least in part of their own making. And none of the solutions they propose will address their problem.

Ms. O'Gorman, the graduate student in sociology, didn't bring her kids to the Occupy demonstration in Toronto because she was worried about security. Still, she hoped they would absorb the message. "I'm trying to teach them equity and critical thinking from a young age," she said. If she'd only applied a bit more critical thinking to herself, she might be able to pay the rent.

Admiral Yi

Writer's piling an awful lot of generalites on to 3 data points.

The Brain

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 05, 2011, 10:44:04 AM
Writer's piling an awful lot of generalites on to 3 data points.

:huh: They were carefully selected.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

Jacob

Quote from: Maximus on November 04, 2011, 07:36:57 PM
Quote from: Jacob on November 04, 2011, 05:51:43 PM
There's not that much revenue in online ads, I don't think.
:yeahright: Advertising is where most of Google's and Facebook's revenue comes from.

http://investor.google.com/financial/tables.html

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-09-20/facebook-revenue-will-reach-4-27-billion-emarketer-says-1-.html

Advertising revenue is the driver of big data.

Huh. Well I stand corrected. I thought facebook credits and analytics made up a bigger proportion than that.