Wall Street protesters: We're in for the long haul

Started by garbon, October 02, 2011, 04:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Neil on October 19, 2011, 02:10:45 PM
What I do have to say is that champagne from California is still champagne.

Of course but it would probably make more sense to import champagne directly from France rather than trans-ship through California.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 19, 2011, 02:26:24 PM

Of course but it would probably make more sense to import champagne directly from France rather than trans-ship through California.

That's a rather loose reading of his statement.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

Even if the grapes are produced in California and it is manufactured in California, it is still champagne.  I'm taking the word back from you hate-mongers.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

The Brain

Quote from: DGuller on October 19, 2011, 02:17:21 PM
Does anyone know how much it costs to adopt a dog from the pound?  Do they have a limit on the number of dogs you can adopt per day?  I'm brainstorming a possible business venture.   :hmm:

Sadly there's not enough of us to keep you in business. :(
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Jacob

Quote from: Neil on October 19, 2011, 02:27:56 PMEven if the grapes are produced in California and it is manufactured in California, it is still champagne.  I'm taking the word back from you hate-mongers.

You have some work to do, at least here in Canada. I have several bottles of sparkling wine in my fridge - from BC and Australia - and none of them say "Champagne" on them.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Neil on October 19, 2011, 02:27:56 PM
Even if the grapes are produced in California and it is manufactured in California, it is still champagne.  I'm taking the word back from you hate-mongers.

Who hates mongers?  And why is the only way to thwart them to mislabel wine from California?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on October 19, 2011, 02:30:14 PM
Quote from: Neil on October 19, 2011, 02:27:56 PMEven if the grapes are produced in California and it is manufactured in California, it is still champagne.  I'm taking the word back from you hate-mongers.

You have some work to do, at least here in Canada. I have several bottles of sparkling wine in my fridge - from BC and Australia - and none of them say "Champagne" on them.

More is the pity.  We let the wine snobs win. :(
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

I think I did post though that I recently bought a bottle of cheap california sparkling wine that said champagne on the label.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

That's alright.  I'm willing to keep the fight up forever, especially since it doesn't come up very often.

It's not like I'll picket anything with a sign.  I'm not protest-scum.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

The Minsky Moment

--Joan Robinson

Neil

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 19, 2011, 02:31:43 PM
Quote from: Neil on October 19, 2011, 02:27:56 PM
Who hates mongers?  And why is the only way to thwart them to mislabel wine from California?
It's not mislabeling, because champagne is generic.  Any sparkling white is also champagne.

Wine snobs hate mongers, because of his love for cider as opposed to wine.

crazy canuck

Meh, he is from Alberta.  What you propose is against his economic interest.

Barrister

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 19, 2011, 02:36:30 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 19, 2011, 02:32:02 PM

:yeah:

Well the protests do go on.  In my house it gets called champagne - usually with extra emphasis on the "g".  That is, when we don't call it "bubbly".   :cool:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Truth in advertising is never a bad thing.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on October 19, 2011, 02:39:05 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 19, 2011, 02:36:30 PM

:yeah:

Well the protests do go on.  In my house it gets called champagne - usually with extra emphasis on the "g".  That is, when we don't call it "bubbly".   :cool:

BB, you need to get out of Alberta asap.